Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Steve Downie can say what he wants, but it is just words coming out of his mouth. What has he DONE since then? What actions has he taken to be a better person and improve the lives of those around him after the kind of things he inflicted on others.

I don't know the guy, I don't pay attention to him. Maybe he has done a lot since then, but all I've heard is some self-pitying platitudes that aren't worth anything coming from him.
Steve Downie doesn't really owe us a life lived in the public. He was retweeting Dan Carcillo's brain trauma work before it was cool though.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I remember when we traded for Steve Downie long ago, his checkered past was a concern of some fans. The two big incidents that stuck out at the time where with Akim Aliu and McAmmond. I remember Ottawa fans (and some Sens players too) being very vocal in their dislike of Downie. But from what I saw, he was never that wild, crazy guy he was made out to be. He left that reputation behind him when he became a member of the Lightning. It was quite the opposite as he was reportedly loved and respected by his teammates. Maybe that's thanks to veteran players, coaches, or management setting him right or he did some maturing & soul searching to save his career from crash and burn.

As to the Akim Aliu-Steve Downie incident, I believe this is the first time Aliu has called him a racist. I had to go back and check. In the players trib article, Aliu only brings up Downie, but from this older Sportsnet article, it says the hazing in Windsor was not just between Downie and Aliu but involved a few of the other veteran players on the team. Windor's front office did an internal investigation after their on ice fight became public and it says "[Owner] Steve Riolo asked about any racial slurs" but Aliu, "indicated not, but 'guys have jokingly … and that’s the way I took it … [called me] ‘the eight-ball.’” Asked about other teammates, Aliu "would [not] name names as he did not want a player sitting in the stands."

It's very possible there were things said and done by multiple teammates, but Aliu kept quiet at the time to as he said, not have more teammates punished. Maybe he feared speaking up would make matters worse within the locker room or that it would bring uncomfortable attention & bigger spotlight over his head? Both players were eventually traded off the team.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I remember when we traded for Steve Downie long ago, his checkered past was a concern of some fans. The two big incidents that stuck out at the time where with Akim Aliu and McAmmond. I remember Ottawa fans (and some Sens players too) being very vocal in their dislike of Downie. But from what I saw, he was never that wild, crazy guy he was made out to be. He left that reputation behind him when he became a member of the Lightning. It was quite the opposite as he was reportedly loved and respected by his teammates. Maybe that's thanks to veteran players, coaches, or management setting him right or he did some maturing & soul searching to save his career from crash and burn.

As to the Akim Aliu-Steve Downie incident, I believe this is the first time Aliu has called him a racist. I had to go back and check. In the players trib article, Aliu only brings up Downie, but from this older Sportsnet article, it says the hazing in Windsor was not just between Downie and Aliu but involved a few of the other veteran players on the team. Windor's front office did an internal investigation after their on ice fight became public and it says "[Owner] Steve Riolo asked about any racial slurs" but Aliu, "indicated not, but 'guys have jokingly … and that’s the way I took it … [called me] ‘the eight-ball.’” Asked about other teammates, Aliu "would [not] name names as he did not want a player sitting in the stands."

It's very possible there were things said and done by multiple teammates, but Aliu kept quiet at the time to as he said, not have more teammates punished. Maybe he feared speaking up would make matters worse within the locker room or that it would bring uncomfortable attention & bigger spotlight over his head? Both players were eventually traded off the team.
Downie and Stammer were roommates for a while, and Yzerman trading Downie wasn't a popular move as I recall.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Didn’t Stammer do his laundry at Downie’s the first two seasons?
Downie and Stammer were roommates for a while, and Yzerman trading Downie wasn't a popular move as I recall.
Downie and Stammer were close friends. There's a few articles on their friendship. The media really ran with this story. Stammer was the well spoken, clean cut kid who was inline to be the face of the franchise, and Downie was perceived as this wild man who had a lot of baggage coming from Philly's organization. The Hockey News called them, "Tampa's Beauty and Beast."

Burnside: Downie and Stamkos inseparable off the ice, unstoppable on it
The Two Steves.

If you ask anyone to describe Steven Stamkos and Steve Downie, the one word that most often surfaces from those around the Tampa Bay Lightning is inseparable.

They live in the same residential community in the Tampa area. They room together on the road. They traveled to Germany together to play for Canada at the world championships this past spring. They worked out religiously with former teammate Gary Roberts during the offseason. They play golf and work out during the season together. Compete, laugh, compete some more.
"Yeah, they are kind of like 'The Odd Couple,'" suggested Stamkos' father, Chris.
"I just tried to steer clear of him [in the OHL]," Stamkos admitted. "He had a reputation as the kind of guy that could go crazy at any time, and he was always leading in points, so you didn't know what to expect."

"But it's the old cliché about not judging a book by the cover," Stamkos said. "Especially for him, because so many people have judged him based on his reputation."
"I'm learning how to use my emotions," Downie said. "It's been a learning experience."
Tampa Bay GM Steve Yzerman acknowledged he didn't know exactly what to expect from Downie when he took the job during the offseason. "He was much different than I anticipated," Yzerman said recently.

But Yzerman knows what he has now, and he's not at all surprised Downie and Stamkos have become such good friends.

"Steve Downie's a pretty witty guy, a pretty funny guy," Yzerman said. "He's a real gentleman, a polite guy. He's well-liked by his teammates."
article_32256_2.jpg

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Lightning forward Steve Downie has smartened up

It’s not what they’re saying about Steve Downie that’s so remarkable.
It’s what they’re not saying.
No one is calling him a problem child, a head case, a loose cannon anymore.
Downie appears to have grown up. He’s focused on hockey and not on the crazy shenanigans that have gotten him suspended, and traded, and given him a reputation that rolls into town before he does.

“I don’t want to take any credit for changing him,” said Tampa coach Guy Boucher. “He’s the one doing it. He’s the one that’s willing to take the steps.”
“If your mind’s not in the right place, if your energy is just slightly off because you’ve wasted some in places that you shouldn’t, you’re not going to get the maximum out of yourself,” said Boucher. “I think Steve understood that.
“Now, having said that, to realize that was one thing, but to actually put it into practice, it’s an everyday training. It’s a mental training, and he’s been great at it.
“He’s a few times had trouble controlling his emotions, but nothing like before. He has evolved, and now he’s really sold on doing what he’s doing now and the teams have tried to go at him the first and second series, and it ain’t working because he knows how important he is for us on the ice.”

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Found this. Thought it was interesting.

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
Steve Downie, Mike Peluso and the NHL's "League Of Denial" moment

Steve Downie, simply by quick bursts of opinion on social media, has asked the kind of questions that the NHL would rather not answer. He's taken on not just the Arizona Coyotes and Don Cherry, but the very foundation of hockey culture itself. That takes incredible courage.
Now, he needs support. He's taken a battering ram to the gates of hockey culture-but at the moment he's carrying it alone.
It's the media's duty to support him. For the good of the game.

Last edited:

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Downie and Stammer were close friends. There's a few articles on their friendship. The media really ran with this story. Stammer was the well spoken, clean cut kid who was inline to be the face of the franchise, and Downie was perceived as this wild man who had a lot of baggage coming from Philly's organization. The Hockey News called them, "Tampa's Beauty and Beast."

Burnside: Downie and Stamkos inseparable off the ice, unstoppable on it

article_32256_2.jpg

I read this the other day.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The closest Div-I NCAA men's hockey team to Tampa Bay. They were the 'host' university for the 2012 Frozen Four which was held at the then St. Pete Times Forum.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Van Boxmeer was a pretty successful minor league coach. Wouldn't be a terrible pickup if TB wanted some experience in pro scouting. Al Murray may know him because the Long Beach Ice Dogs, that Van Boxmeer coached, were affiliated with the LA Kings in the late 90's.

The Ice Dogs were able to attract Khabibulin during his contract holdout, before he was traded to TB, and a pre-draft Patrik Stefan, who played some games during his regular league's Olympic break. He was only 17 at the time.

Mark Ferner played two years for the IHL Solar Bears, and I see he only had a single season as an amateur scout for Buffalo. Seems like he didn't even get a draft in.

edit: oh geez, just realized John Van Boxmeer was also an assistant coach for the LA Kings when Murray was there. I'd say that he's on his radar.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Hossa, Iginla, Doug Wilson, and Kevin Lowe (?) make it in to the HHOF players category. Edmonton will likely retire #4 now since HHOF induction is part of their organizations rules.

Ken Holland in the builder category, and Kim St. Pierre in as the lone woman player this year.

Kevin Lowe was a bit before my time, but the closest he came to a Norris (that I can find) was a 5th place finish in '88.

I always had the impression he was a real good player, but not really Hall of Fame levels. Like Peter Bondra or Cliff Ronning.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Hossa, Iginla, Doug Wilson, and Kevin Lowe (?) make it in to the HHOF players category. Edmonton will likely retire #4 now since HHOF induction is part of their organizations rules.

Ken Holland in the builder category, and Kim St. Pierre in as the lone woman player this year.

Kevin Lowe was a bit before my time, but the closest he came to a Norris (that I can find) was a 5th place finish in '88.

I always had the impression he was a real good player, but not really Hall of Fame levels. Like Peter Bondra or Cliff Ronning.
Yeah, I feel like a lot of people don't agree with this HHOF selection

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
HHOF has just become more and more of a joke lately. Are you an average top line 80s player? Congratulations! You're now in the HHOF!

Housley, Carbonneau, Andreychuk, Lowe, Zubov, Recchi... just all around bad inductees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->