Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

With that comes a fear for the new puck’s integrity that will probably keep NHL executives awake at night.
Imagine a scenario in which the new puck explodes into three pieces after ricocheting off the crossbar on a scoring play in the Stanley Cup Final.

Gulp.

That’s exactly what happened with previous versions of the puck produced by a different manufacturer over the past number of years. But those fears have been unfounded with the latest iteration of the puck, according to testing conducted by a third party over the past months – information that was relayed to GMs in a presentation on Day 2 at their annual meetings here in South Florida.
The NHL put the pucks in the hands of top players around the league to use in practice. While there were no complaints, sources indicated Sidney Crosby was quick to notice that, for example, the edges of the puck felt different. There have also been comments about the weight and feel (hardness) of the puck from players.

Today’s players will be able to pick up on even a hint of a difference, just in the same way that players in the 1990s were able to correctly identify the pucks used for the old FoxTrax system in a blind test.
interesting...

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
Why would they not do this in a regular season game first?
If they change it midseason as a rollout (so, not league-wide) it could (possibly) impact some teams more than others. I’m trying to rationalize it but I keep saying to myself, “that’s stupid.” If they changed every puck for every game NOW (I mean at the same time) I don’t see how it’d be any different than introducing it in the playoffs.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
The two best teams in the league will be test subjects for a new puck... interesting. I mean what could go wrong here?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The MIT Sports Analytics Conference is on. They talk about a bunch of different sports and the business itself, so if you want a podcast-like stream to listen to today, find a video that interests you.

42 Analytics

schedule: http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/SSAC20-Agenda-v23.pdf

edit: I've been hearing in these for like 2-3 years now how sports betting is going to change everything. It might be that I have no personal interest in it, but it hasn't transformed anything either. League have new revenue source. Big whoop.

I do think that's subtlety the ESPN influence. They have a sponsorship with Draft Kings. I'd think the change from traditional TV to streaming platforms would be a bigger deal, but that'd put ESPN on the hot seat.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
And we face Toronto twice this month, so we could have a say in this
While I really wouldn't mind seeing Leafs miss for all the meltdowns around the world, I really want to see that Lightning-Leafs playoff series. I'm not sure there's many matchups that can compete with that if you want entertaining hockey.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
While I really wouldn't mind seeing Leafs miss for all the meltdowns around the world, I really want to see that Lightning-Leafs playoff series. I'm not sure there's many matchups that can compete with that if you want entertaining hockey.
I'd love a Battle of Alberta.

With that said, I like me some mean playoff hockey. Bolts /Leafs could make for some exciting run-n-gun fun though.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Now it "appears" the Panthers will affiliate with Charlotte and the Canes with to the Chicago Wolves.

#SillySeason2020
I read that rumor yesterday. It doesn't make sense to me. Carolina just got their affiliates in line geographically this year. Raleigh-Charlotte-Greenville

The given reason Carolina changed ECHL affiliates from Florida (who they were affiliated with for years) to Greenville was because Tom Dundon wanted to find a closer affiliate.

Pretty much every other team is insisting on having their affiliates close to them. They re-oriented the AHL to create a new western division for those teams, and now Carolina wants to bounce.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I read that rumor yesterday. It doesn't make sense to me. Carolina just got their affiliates in line geographically this year. Raleigh-Charlotte-Greenville

The given reason Carolina changed ECHL affiliates from Florida (who they were affiliated with for years) to Greenville was because Tom Dundon wanted to find a closer affiliate.

Pretty much every other team is insisting on having their affiliates close to them. They re-oriented the AHL to create a new western division for those teams, and now Carolina wants to bounce.

I'll believe it when I see it.

You know... I can be called a liar or a train-hopper regarding all this geographical affiliation shit (and that's fine) but the truth is, I've called for a Tampa/Orlando/Estero affiliation triangle for the past 8 years. I've always maintained that with the right partnership with the two markets, it would work. Especially (recently) Vinik possibly getting RDV Sports to divest themselves of the OSB's and petition the AHL to allow them to move up. Estero is a great market and there's tons of TBL fans down there and has always represented their teams at the gate. Even under Karmanos' era.

This topic will derail this thread for sure but someday you, I, and anyone else will probably revisit this again

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
You know... I can be called a liar or a train-hopper regarding all this geographical affiliation shit (and that's fine) but the truth is, I've called for a Tampa/Orlando/Estero affiliation triangle for the past 8 years. I've always maintained that with the right partnership with the two markets, it would work. Especially (recently) Vinik possibly getting RDV Sports to divest themselves of the OSB's and petition the AHL to allow them to move up. Estero is a great market and there's tons of TBL fans down there and has always represented their teams at the gate. Even under Karmanos' era.

This topic will derail this thread for sure but someday you, I, and anyone else will probably revisit this again
There'd need to be several AHL teams created in the southeast, and that's not where the new NHL teams are going.

Quite honestly though, for the Solar Bears, I'm pretty individualistic. I don't like any affiliate having that much direct control, and you can't play with the overhead of the Amway Center and be all about fun time development. Orlando is a very competitive sports market and you have to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad