Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

This feels like an overreaction. There should be well thought-out plans, but practice goalies are going to deplete the minor leagues.

Sure, what happens if a second EBUG is needed is a valid question. What happens if the EBUG playing gets injured? It can go on and on. At some point, you just can't play anymore, and that needs to be considered.

I feel like goalies would graduate to the position. Like an honorary thing. Something you retire into after a career in the minors. Most guys would probably prefer that, considering they wouldn't be rich or anything. I'm guessing you could hold that kind of position until you're, what? 50?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I feel like goalies would graduate to the position. Like an honorary thing. Something you retire into after a career in the minors. Most guys would probably prefer that, considering they wouldn't be rich or anything. I'm guessing you could hold that kind of position until you're, what? 50?
There would have to be rules, for sure.

A lot of ECHL level minor league guys retire at like 30. An ECHL EBUG in some markets might be last year's #1 goalie. How do they ensure that the guy is both capable enough to make 50-60k, but not a guy who isn't dipping out on a minor league career? Minimum age or games played requirements?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There would have to be rules, for sure.

A lot of ECHL level minor league guys retire at like 30. An ECHL EBUG in some markets might be last year's #1 goalie. How do they ensure that the guy is both capable enough to make 50-60k, but not a guy who isn't dipping out on a minor league career? Minimum age or games played requirements?

I don't think teams would be all the competitive with the position. I feel like one guy could hold it for 15 or 20 years, or however long he's capable of traveling and practicing. So it would probably be up to the team when to retire one guy and graduate another. I think it would be really rare for a guy to retire from EBUG, and then there's a 29 year-old minor league starter eyeing the spot. Simply because the spot would so rarely come up. And teams could work out ahead of time roughly when they would shift from one guy to the next. I don't think it would tax the minor league system at all, because I don't think teams would be overly concerned with keeping the best guy in the position.

The interesting thing would be how much teams would value just having certain personalities around the team. On certain teams the guy would (probably) more/less double as the goalie coach.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

This could really effect the draft. Scouts look heavily on this tournament and many players have their draft stock rise because of the U-18s

edit: it looks like only the division 2 and 3 tournaments have been canceled so far. The April tournament in Ann Arbor is still on as of today

Last edited:

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Speaking of GM meetings, we should get a better fix in the next two days on next season's salary cap. Not the final numbers but a greater consensus what it will be minus the NHLPA's escalator option. It's doubtful the PA moves greater than 2% because of escrow but stranger things have happened. With all the bitching that occurred with mid-level players being squeezed a year ago, perhaps they come up a bit. We'll see.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Speaking of GM meetings, we should get a better fix in the next two days on next season's salary cap. Not the final numbers but a greater consensus what it will be minus the NHLPA's escalator option. It's doubtful the PA moves greater than 2% because of escrow but stranger things have happened. With all the bitching that occurred with mid-level players being squeezed a year ago, perhaps they come up a bit. We'll see.
The last I heard (maybe in January) it was going to be an increase similar to this season's.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Correct. Could be the same as this years if 0% Escalator used (and revenues down significantly - Yikes!). Could be between $83M-$85.5M. I'm being conservative and a bit optimistic and say its $84M
The 'x' factor is the Coronavirus. That could trash revenue as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad