Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
:facepalm: This says so much about the Leafs

I don't really see the problem (based on the prompt alone).

If he wasn't going to play anyway, and came as a scratch, why not give him an assignment? Lidstrom and Schenn were never compared in style I don't recall, but if he could lift some things about positioning or gap control, especially if it was guided a bit by Leafs staff, that's not a bad thing. They don't need to have the same play style. Lidstrom was the best defenseman, and he wasn't a physical monster. He thought the game well.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I don't really see the problem (based on the prompt alone).

If he wasn't going to play anyway, and came as a scratch, why not give him an assignment? Lidstrom and Schenn were never compared in style I don't recall, but if he could lift some things about positioning or gap control, especially if it was guided a bit by Leafs staff, that's not a bad thing. They don't need to have the same play style. Lidstrom was the best defenseman, and he wasn't a physical monster. He thought the game well.
The problem is from the "do what he does" part. I took that as his game & style as a whole, not specific individual parts. And that's obviously crazy talk, but the reason I think they would say that or expect that was from how they viewed him as a prospect, which was all wrong.

Toronto traded up to #5 to draft Schenn, who was (and still is) a defensive defenseman with no offensive ability. Usually when that happens, it spells disaster. Schenn is who he is, but he was hyped up as something more. In defense of the pick, people said oh well he's still developing, he's still young, there's more to him than just that, and this is a gem because Toronto can see what everyone else can't. So was it faulty scouting, or just unrealistic expectations that got out of control for a top pick in Toronto? I don't know. But they believed they had drafted a different player than they did. And the story of thinking Schenn could change his stay at home game from watching one of the best all around dman, to me is them still fooling themselves.

Last edited:

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Drouin out long-term, needs wrist surgery after getting wrecked by Ovechkin. Tough break, seemed like this was his year. The Habs also lost Paul Byron to injury, so their speed takes a big hit. That team has a really tough road ahead now if they want to make the playoffs.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Hockey Canada changing the names of its age divisions. USA Hockey sure to follow. I was wondering when they would act on it. (edit: found out USA Hockey already did it in 2016 and I completely missed it or forgot)

Last edited:

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
The thing that sucks most about sucking is that its not as fun to enjoy the leafs' sucking. I still enjoy it, don't get me wrong. But not as much as I would had we not been sucking too

Reactions: Hoek

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Strålman scored two goals last night - his first as a Panther - to go along with some beastly defensive plays, including killing a 5 on 3. The Panthers' broadcaster, Randy Moller, had the following to say after Stråls scored his second goal. :naughty:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->