Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Rather than fixating on Don Cherry's firing, what do we think the plan should be for HNIC?

The solution everyone seems to have is Brian Burke taking over the Coach's Corner segment (maybe renamed at some point). That does make a lot of sense, but there are a lot of challenges with it that people maybe haven't considered.

First is if HNIC wants to continue the segment. I think the urge to compare Cherry and Burke is too strong and the show would be better off recontextualizing Burkie's personality elsewhere. Burke will always be in Cherry's shadow if they set him up as the guy with the big, stubborn personality who plays off of Ron MacLean.

Maybe in a few years if/when Jeff Marek takes over MacLean's spot, they could build their own dynamic, but you can't just insert Brian Burke this Saturday and continue on flawlessly.

Does Brian Burke want this? He hasn't been blacklisted from an NHL management job.
Do you think they would ever consider asking Espo? He certainly would fit the bill as opinionated, says what he wants, old guy, hall of famer, has a connection to the old time hockey days and the present, and was apart of one of the more celebrated hockey Canada moments with his role in the 72 series. I doubt he’d leave Tampa, but dare I say he’s almost perfect for cc.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Do you think they would ever consider asking Espo? He certainly would fit the bill as opinionated, says what he wants, old guy, hall of famer, has a connection to the old time hockey days and the present, and was apart of one of the more celebrated hockey Canada moments with his role in the 72 series. I doubt he’d leave Tampa, but dare I say he’s almost perfect for cc.
Judging from his tan I’d say he’ll never leave Florida.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Re: Espo. He loves the Lightning too much. I don't think he'd leave even if they gave him a million dollars. And as for him replacing Don, I'd say the cherry doesn't fall far from the tree in the selection of Espo in that case.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I was just about to make this post.

Doug MacLean maybe could have been good for the job, if SN hadn't fired him in June. MacLean has made the transition into full-time broadcaster, where I don't know that about Burke.

Mike Keenan has the aura around him and doesn't get NHL coaching jobs, but I don't think that will translate to TV like we think it will.

Remember when Brett Hull tried to out-Cherry, Cherry? That's Mike Milbury's role now with NBC. Early on, Milbury was actually quite agreeable and made good points.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I was just about to make this post.

Doug MacLean maybe could have been good for the job, if SN hadn't fired him in June. MacLean has made the transition into full-time broadcaster, where I don't know that about Burke.

Mike Keenan has the aura around him and doesn't get NHL coaching jobs, but I don't think that will translate to TV like we think it will.

Remember when Brett Hull tried to out-Cherry, Cherry? That's Mike Milbury's role now with NBC. Early on, Milbury was actually quite agreeable and made good points.

I will forever love Don for this....

Incoming small rant on Brett Hull

Hull might've been one of the GOAT's but the dude has the IQ of a turnip and seldom does he make any points that make much sense. Especially his take on expansion and the subsequent arrival of less talented players being a cause of the DPE. No dude... I went to lunch at Hooters on Fletcher Ave a few weeks back and they showed a replay of Game 7 of the 1996 ECF between the Panthers and Penguins on one of the TV's. It was the most boring game I have ever watched in my life. I am NOT someone who suffers boedem ever. It was literally 10 minutes at a time of the Penguins dumping the puck in, the Panthers trapping and converging and sending it back out and the Penguins not knowing what the hell to do. Yeah Brett.... that lack of talent REALLY did us in on the goal-scoring and quality of the game there bud. Nothing to do with goalies leaving their net to take the dump ins. Nothing to do with 2 line pass exacerbating neutral zone clogging. Nothing to do with gigantic goalie pads there bud. The Panthers exploited every advantage they could to shut down a hapless Lemieux and Jagr. It was a coaching clinic. I mean bravo to Doug MacLean....

How someone who actually played in that era (and for Ken Hitchcock of all coaches) could blame talent for the DPE shows that's a brain that doesn't fire on ANY cylinders.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I will forever love Don for this....

Incoming small rant on Brett Hull

Hull might've been one of the GOAT's but the dude has the IQ of a turnip and seldom does he make any points that make much sense. Especially his take on expansion and the subsequent arrival of less talented players being a cause of the DPE. No dude... I went to lunch at Hooters on Fletcher Ave a few weeks back and they showed a replay of Game 7 of the 1996 ECF between the Panthers and Penguins on one of the TV's. It was the most boring game I have ever watched in my life. I am NOT someone who suffers boedem ever. It was literally 10 minutes at a time of the Penguins dumping the puck in, the Panthers trapping and converging and sending it back out and the Penguins not knowing what the hell to do. Yeah Brett.... that lack of talent REALLY did us in on the goal-scoring and quality of the game there bud. Nothing to do with goalies leaving their net to take the dump ins. Nothing to do with 2 line pass exacerbating neutral zone clogging. Nothing to do with gigantic goalie pads there bud. The Panthers exploited every advantage they could to shut down a hapless Lemieux and Jagr. It was a coaching clinic.

How someone who actually played in that era (and for Ken Hitchcock of all coaches) could blame talent for the DPE shows that's a brain that doesn't fire on ANY cylinders.
That Hull and Cherry clip reminds me of Don Jr. and Eric on SNL.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
GM's/Burkie's Barn

It'll be a different segment, and they might give it a little bit of time to cool down. But by this time next year, Bryan Burke's gonna be the guy saying offensive things between periods. They'll just be a PC kind of offensive.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It'll be a different segment, and they might give it a little bit of time to cool down. But by this time next year, Bryan Burke's gonna be the guy saying offensive things between periods. They'll just be a PC kind of offensive.
Brian Burke doesn't really say things that I'd consider 'offensive', outside of things that may get hockey dorks mad.

He has strong convictions, which shows him to be stubborn, but the stuff that he's inflexible on seems to be a benevolent dictatorship. Volunteer in the community or be traded, etc.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
In context of the Cherry firing here's an interesting video by THG from last year's october on Cherry:

And here is his take from two days ago (after the firing was announced):

Reactions: Felonious Python

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

I want to talk about this. (spoiler because I might shatter your mind)

Everyone gets that the ice cream theft is a gag, right? Look at how hard the victim is smiling (a grown man in good shape with an ice cream cone, btw) as it's lifted out of its holder.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
What the hell is this abomination?

Abomination. Abominable. Abominable Snowman.

767331ace83a3cbbcebf273c102f6d2e.jpg

Reactions: DFC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->