Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Auston Matthews' accuser tells police she was terrified during the incident
Dozithee added that she spoke to one of the board members of the housing complex Matthews lives in, who reportedly said to her, “If you decide to press charges, we will support you because this resident [Matthews] has been an issue for us anyways.”
I'm also very interested in this small part of the story. Makes me wonder if there is a history of other improper behavior that could come to light now.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I can't see how the Leafs could possibly turn around and give Matthews the captaincy. People are dunking on Kyle Dubas over negotiations, but he's not a knuckle-dragger. I don't think Shanahan or Babcock are either. People would absolutely lose their minds if the Leafs gave the 'C' so soon to someone who drunkenly tried to force his way into a female security guard's car along with like two other guys.

That's not to say that he couldn't earn the 'C' years down the road when he's clearly matured, but not now.

To me, the question is does he wear an alternate's 'A'? If it happened mid-season, I'd say he should lose it, so that should be gone for a while too. They're just letters.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

“His name is definitely out there,” texted an Eastern Conference executive during Wednesday night’s game.

How could it not be? The Canadiens gave up a potential top-four defenceman in Mikhail Sergachev to acquire Drouin from the Tampa Bay Lightning in the summer of 2017. They immediately made him their highest-paid forward with a six-year contract that carries an annual cap hit of $5.5 million. And after two mostly-disappointing seasons, with Drouin posting 99 points and a minus-36 rating over 158 games, patience has to be wearing thin if it hasn’t run out completely.

Fair to say the Canadiens would be selling low at this point. So much so that they might just be forced to hang on and pray that Drouin flips this thing upside down in a hurry. He’s such a talented player, a former third-overall pick who still has to be considered as a player with upside. A player who wants to make it work in Montreal.

But if things keep trending in the same direction, you really have to wonder if management will view the scenario of trading him as an addition by subtraction.

This will come as no surprise to anyone who follows the Canadiens, but they are looking to move a forward. Nick Suzuki is pushing. Even though he was sent Monday night to AHL Laval, Jake Evans is too. Hopefully Ryan Poehling makes a quick and complete recovery, but even with his injury, they have extra bodies. Jonathan Drouin played 11:57 in Monday’s 3-0 loss Toronto, lowest among all skaters. Already, this is something to keep an eye on.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Leafs fans are a bit higher on Morgan Reilly for captain than I thought.

Tavares has been captain in NYC. The Islanders, but New York City nonetheless. New York fans are demanding and with the pressure in Toronto, it'd seem like he'd be the one best prepared for that role.

I don't know the inside baseball, but
C - Tavares
A - Reilly
A - Spezza

seems entirely reasonable. Once Spezza leaves in a year or two, Matthews can maybe become an alternate again. Tavares can be captain for the remainder of his contract (assuming he doesn't re-sign), which will take Matthews to about 28-years-old. (Tavares is 29 now) Auston could still be Leafs captain for like 10-years if he plays on the Leafs until he's 38. This is all assuming that he's suitably matured of course.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Canadian University (USports) hockey season has either begun or about to begin. You can watch AUS (Atlantic Canada) and OUA (Ontario) games for free from their conferences websites.
You also get access to all the sports they cover. Football, soccer, rugby, volleyball, swimming, badminton, etc. On-demand feeds are available as well, although stream quality varies by school.

AUStv.ca - Atlantic University Sport Webcasts
www.oua.yaretv.com/

The OUA one requires a free login, but you can give them any old info. You don't even need to tell them your favorite school.

Canada West schools have a fee to watch, so I'm not linking it.

USports attracts guys who aged out of major junior and junior A hockey. Some have a little minor pro experience even (including past Solar Bears). Many of the guys end up playing ECHL, AHL, Europe, etc. after their USports careers. Both Lightning goalies at development camp were USports guys. Windsor with Brock and Greenfield with U. Calgary, etc.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
A Blackhawks split-squad is playing Eisbaren Berlin on NHL Network at 1:30 pm ET today.

Monday at 2 pm is Philly at Lausanne, Switzerland.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Flyers play Lausanne, Switerland today at 2 pm ET on NHLN and Gritty is of course along for the ride.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

John Walton didn't sound too familiar. He's the radio guy for the Caps. It seems like a possible future TB PBP man. He called women's Olympic hockey games as well.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012

Bobby Mac signs a 5 yr extension he had hinted that this was going to be his last year glad he's sticking around.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Hockey is back :thumbu:
giphy.gif

Back? I was watching all summer.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's so typical of the leafs to load up on an area they don't need. Getting Barrie who's redundant after a guy like Rielly while forgetting you actually need defense on the back end

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Damn. St. Louis let the Caps score. Come on Blues, curb stomp the dirtbags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad