Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDBolt

Oct 14, 2017
If we win @Washington tomorrow, my confidence will be through the roof at that point. Three rounds of early losses followed by winning streaks each time will have numbed me to the point I won't even worry if we drop the first game, and possibly the second.

I had a lot more typed up, but I'm really not comfortable saying the rest until we're in the next round..

TheChamber91

Dec 27, 2017
Hi, blues fan sliding over real quick. I've been going around the other team's forums because I'm trying to learn more about different players around the league and expand my knowledge of the game. Can anyone give me kind of overall reports on Gourde, Coburn, Miller, Conacher, and Point? I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks.

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
Hi, blues fan sliding over real quick. I've been going around the other team's forums because I'm trying to learn more about different players around the league and expand my knowledge of the game. Can anyone give me kind of overall reports on Gourde, Coburn, Miller, Conacher, and Point? I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks.
I don't know if there's enough ppl still left here after they gave us the drama no one might not have wanted... maybe one or two could help you though.
If you can be patient enough, they are doing players grades over the summer at this site below so you might wanna wait for that if you can;
Tampa Bay Lightning Schedule, Roster, News, and Rumors | Raw Charge

Meanwhile, I can give you my useless take;
Gourde:B+ Coburn:B-(on the 3d pair) Miller:B-(needs to be used wisely) Conacher:B-(for the depth) Point:S
I may be only certain about Point here and that's my point!!

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Not sure if off topic or just non-Lightning related talk but for the first time ever I'm sitting down to watch the USA vs USSR "Miracle On Ice" in its entirety. I'm about halfway through the 1st period and just count me amongst the millions who are utterly baffled at just how the hell the USA is going to somehow win this after just having gotten down 1-0 on that tip shot from the point. To coach Brooks' credit I don't see a USA team that's intimidated by any means, they had as good of a surge as you're gonna get after their initial power play fell to pieces; and you can see Brooks had them ready as can be to play that game. I have to wonder if it was not because they were so high off that win against a very good Czechoslovakia team. But again I see one team that attacks at will in waves repeatedly and another that can only swarm back in numbers and has little answer for the neutral zone transition other than to stand guys up and take them out of the play. Gonna go back to watching but this is just utterly insane how obviously better the Soviets are.

TheChamber91

Dec 27, 2017
I don't know if there's enough ppl still left here after they gave us the drama no one might not have wanted... maybe one or two could help you though.
If you can be patient enough, they are doing players grades over the summer at this site below so you might wanna wait for that if you can;
Tampa Bay Lightning Schedule, Roster, News, and Rumors | Raw Charge

Meanwhile, I can give you my useless take;
Gourde:B+ Coburn:B-(on the 3d pair) Miller:B-(needs to be used wisely) Conacher:B-(for the depth) Point:S
I may be only certain about Point here and that's my point!!

Thanks! I'll wait and see what they put up. And yea I figured after those losses there wouldn't be a whole lot of people up to discuss players with me, I sure wouldn't be.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
USSR wins that game 9 out of 10 times. Craig stood on his head.

Craig's goaltending and the mere fact the USA would not back down and refused to be intimidated along with the fortune that came with their first 2 goals won them that game. You simply cannot measure the amount of testicular fortitude displayed by the USA players or how much luck they had on their side at the beginning of the 1st and then Maltsev hitting the post moments after USA took the lead. USA created so many of their own chances as the game went on because the Soviets simply couldn't anticipate another team continuing to directly attack them like that. To their credit they handled it well at first but the sheer contrast of them starting the game as a well oiled machine doing whatever it wanted into suddenly giving up so many great chances is like a slow motion of a building come down. A sloppy 2nd period sees a 3rd period start with USA having no hope at all USSR seemingly content to just shut them down and get offense by association until Johnson sneaks one past Myshkin. If the Soviets messed up it was by not going for the throat at the beginning of the 3rd. A pair of well earned goals and the slow motion building shatters from its foundations. How ironic, Tretiak probably makes the save on Johnson. I almost can't blame Tikhanov for pulling him after allowing a last second goal. When you're that sure of victory it's almost to save embarrassment.

For as many great saves Craig made, the save he made a few minutes before mid-way point of the 2nd period where a centering pass came across crease to either of the Golikov brothers was so clutch. Arguably the save of the game for me. It wasn't played up much by Michaels and Dryden but Craig's 5 hole is opened wide by about a foot as he's moving laterally. I can't speak to Golikov's consistency but that looks like a play that ends up in the back of the USA net 7 times out of 10. If Golikov gets a better shot towards center net then it's a bang-bang play no different than their 1st goal or when Malstev cut through the defense on a self-created breakaway. Golikov pots that and it's 4-2 USSR and goodnight America. But it didn't go in and by God USA responds with a breakaway by Harrington and then a 2 on 1. God Schneider was so close to tying the game. Another huge moment was Makarov bobbling the puck on a great scoring chance.

At the start of the 2nd period Brooks looks like he's about to shit bricks and he has his boys under direct orders to just freeze the puck as much as possible to buy time and stop the Soviet attack. Call it cheap but if the Soviets get a clean start to that 2nd period it's probably 5-2 or better by the 2nd intermission. I'd have to go back and count how many icings were committed by USA. Probably 5 or more? I think Dryden said USA had 2 shots on goal that whole period despite the high quality of their scoring chances.

I don't know man.... 9 times out of 10 almost seems unfair to the Soviets. But regardless they only win that 1 game in how many with that persistent, dogged determination. You almost want to use the word courageous to describe their performance. I'll say it again if USA doesn't repeatedly ice the puck the whole 2nd period to disrupt Soviet momentum and have 2 lucky goals banked from the 1st period they lose that game. But then again they had no chance without a little luck. Not against a team that great. The Soviets not knowing how to play 6 on 5 was just icing on the cake. It was just a perfect storm and a miracle just like Al Michaels called it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
"Waah-Waah". That's the sound of a baby crying after you take it's hockey binky away. But guess what adult-babies? You think that you're about ready to hit the beach for a summer of fun and begin rebuilding your life? You're going nowhere, there's still hockey to be consumed.

Australian Ice Hockey League (AIHL)
AIHL

New Zealand Ice Hockey League (NZIHL)
New Zealand Ice Hockey League

the AIHL is considered the better league, btw.

USports OUA (Ontario University Athletics)
Ontario University Athletics - Home

schedule to find OUA games
2017-18 OUA Men's Hockey Schedule - Ontario University Athletics (OUA)

USports AUS (Atlantic University Sport)
AUStv.ca - Atlantic University Sport Webcasts

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Sounds like we should all be Perth Thunder fans.

200px-Perth_Thunder_Logo.png

And Dunedin Thunder.

Dunedin_Thunder_logo.png

All Thunder, no Lightning. :o

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Perth is also severely isolated from the rest of the league.
Australian Ice Hockey League - Wikipedia
Is it that meaningful of a team that it's necessary to travel that much because of them? Perth is one of the biggest cities in Australia but I wonder if it would hurt the league if they moved it closer to others. I don't know if we have any Australian hockey fans here I could ask...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad