OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
DFC said:

For the first time in my life I'll be cheering for Montreal. Yes. I hate Marty St. Louis that much.

In other news, seeing MTL take down BOS eases the sting of the sweep a little bit.

That's pretty hard to believe.

Just remember, the Rangers might have MSL but they also have Cup hero non-purported-traitor Brad Richards, too. They also have Moore and Pouliot. 3 > 1, no?

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's pretty hard to believe.

Just remember, the Rangers might have MSL but they also have Cup hero non-purported-traitor Brad Richards, too. They also have Moore and Pouliot. 3 > 1, no?

Marty trumps all of that. The sting is too fresh. Seeing him raise the cup everything that went down will make me want to stop watching hockey and spend my days thinking about how the world is made up of bad people who get their way. I will gain 20-30 pounds from all the chocolate.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
In that case, remind me to ship all my leftover milk chocolate from Easter. I'm not much of a chocolate-eater anymore because, well, I lost my taste for it a couple years back.

I agree with the idea in principle, though. I won't disagree that it's been an awfully divisive thing for me to try and balance all of that out, given the way MSL forced his way out of town. He really doesn't deserve to hoist the Cup at all, but here we are eight New York wins away from that.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Marty trumps all of that. The sting is too fresh. Seeing him raise the cup everything that went down will make me want to stop watching hockey and spend my days thinking about how the world is made up of bad people who get their way. I will gain 20-30 pounds from all the chocolate.

my thoughts exactly

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I wish I didn't say that either but I got some chocolate from some relatives this Easter and, jeez, I won't say I couldn't eat it but it wasn't exactly something I devoured, either.

I did eat a chocolate smores pop tart yesterday so maybe all hope is not lost.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
I may give in to marital harmony and not wish ill on Montreal this round. I'm probably angrier at MSL than the Habs and I won't have to deal with the husband sulking if I don't actively cheer for their opposition.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It's this point in time where I most wish that Vinny for Price, Subban, Patches, etc. had happened.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Ridiculous how close all these series are. I'll be rooting for the Ducks and... well... for some reason my gut says NYR.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
I may give in to marital harmony and not wish ill on Montreal this round. I'm probably angrier at MSL than the Habs and I won't have to deal with the husband sulking if I don't actively cheer for their opposition.

thats probably a good idea

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Bylsma and Shero fired. Pierre McGuire undoubtedly bothering Lemieux at this very moment.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 37m
PIT assistant GM Jason Botterill likely to take over on an interim basis. Shero likely to immediately become frontrunner for GM job in WSH.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 23m
Not sure if he has interest in being a GM, but many in PIT believe owner Ron Burkle would like Sidney Crosby's agent Pat Brisson to be GM.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 20m
Even though CAR's Jim Rutherford stepped down as Canes' GM, belief is he would have interest in being a GM with another franchise.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Sportsnet stream of Pens 11:30am press conference:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/sportsnet-live/

edit: looks like Bylsma is NOT fired, despite earlier reports. Former Orlando Solar Bear Jason Botterill takes over as interim GM of the Pens.

When Elliote Friedman and Bob McKenzie are wrong it makes me think it was a last minute decision to allow the next GM to evaluate Bylsma (which favors retaining Botterill as he'd get a headstart as the interim guy)

Last edited:

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Wonder what the percentage chances were of a Los Angeles-Chicago WCF meeting when Los Angeles was down 0-3 to San Jose and Chicago was down 0-2 to St. Louis in their respective first round series.

Glad we're getting this matchup. Been hoping for it since Kane ended their series last season in double OT.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I was hoping for a Ducks win for obvious reasons. Now I really don't cheer for any of the reamining four team. There are teams that I hate (Rangers, Canadiens) and teams I don't have much of an opinion on. Maybe I'll pull for the Kings to win as Quick is one of my favourite goalies in the league. Don't know but I probably won't be watching much of the remaining playoff games. I won't put myself through a Canadiens - Rangers game and Blackhawks - Kings game will probably start too late for me.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
LA is the weirdest team in hockey. I don't even know how else to describe them. It's like you never have any idea how good/bad because they're always either super hot or super cold.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Lolhabs.

It really sucks when two teams you hate play - all you can hope for is at least one of them walks away embarrassed.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
As someone who likes the Rangers a fair bit, I am finding it incredible and surprising just how much MSL ruins everything for me. I'm finally seeing the other side of this whole equation for you guys. I cannot root for this guy to win a Cup after the shenanigans he pulled. So thanks, Marty, for ruining my bandwagon team in this playoff year.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
as someone who likes the rangers a fair bit, i am finding it incredible and surprising just how much msl ruins everything for me. I'm finally seeing the other side of this whole equation for you guys. I cannot root for this guy to win a cup after the shenanigans he pulled. So thanks, marty, for ruining my bandwagon team in this playoff year.

100%. I have a bit of a soft spot for NY/NJ area teams as I was born in NJ, but when it comes to MSL, I just can't do it.

BergyMeister

Overpaid 4th liner
Mar 5, 2010
Tampa Via Vermont.
Being a MSL fan for years because of his time @ UVM can I get a lowdown of why he is so disliked now? I have a general idea but would like more specifics w/o having to muddle through a bunch of threads.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Being a MSL fan for years because of his time @ UVM can I get a lowdown of why he is so disliked now? I have a general idea but would like more specifics w/o having to muddle through a bunch of threads.

It's not so much that he left as the way he did it. Had he waited for the offseason, we probably would have been sad but understanding. Apparently he wanted out before, family reasons and whatnot, but this was a bit different.

As it was he accepted the role of Captain and then left a team full of rookies and a barely recovered Stamkos in the middle of a playoff push. The first hint of the playoffs in three years.

In addition to that there are some indications that the fact he was so unhappy about not making the Olympic team on the first go round really affected the locker room. MSL may have played well in the month between the "snub" and actually making the team, but the rest of them not so much. And why wouldn't they, it's a team full of kids and your captain obviously wants out. Not good.

Lastly, not only did he request a trade but he only would go to one team. Way to handcuff the organization. Fortunately Yzerman was able to get Sather to bid against himself, but it could have been much worse.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Rangers were also in no way preordained to even make the playoffs at the time of the trade, and while Marty had a tough time in the regular season with them, you've got to wonder about TB's playoff run had he stayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad