Arnott and Sykora

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Both still available and put coming off 20 goals seasons. They won the cup together in NJ many years ago. Both solid veterans with size.

Sykora signed for $650k last season
Arnott signed for $2.5M

Should be about $1M pro-rated for each

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Staal-Larose
Sykora-Arnott-Jokinen
Dwyer-Brent-Bowman
Westgarth

Love the kids but vets solidify holes

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I'm not that opposed to this idea....Arnott especially.

Perhaps see what happens in the next week and if we dont get any better performances worth taking a look at.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Colin White and Brett Clark are available.

Maybe grab one of them, shop McBain + for a top 4 D.

That would give us

Pitkanen / Faulk
Gleason / Top 4 D from trade
White or Clark / Harrison
Corvo

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
If we're talking about trading players, there's bound to be some interest in McBain somewhere in the league. If they're deadset on not playing him despite dressing two god-awful defensemen intead, then trade him now while people still remember that he once scored 10 goals in 14 games. Same with Boychuk- we've been waiting on him to stick with this club for years. If he breaks out somewhere, it won't be in Raleigh. McBain + Boychuk for an actual NHL defenseman?

GoCanes2013

May 7, 2009
Raleigh
Is Mcbain sitting because he's out of favor? Or is he nursing/recovering an injury and they're just protecting him? I don't recall what's up with him.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Well, as someone said on another link, this obsession with PMD that JR has needs to end. We need 1 maybe 2 PMD, and the rest need to concentrate on keeping the puck out of our net. there is no need for 5 MPD and Harrison. these other guys are making harrison look incredible. He gets the puck out, he is in position and while he doesnt make any incredible skill plays, he also doesnt make any boneheaded plays.

Remember: Wallin, Wesley, Commodore, A Ward, Hedican, Kaberle? None of those guys are great, because JR would rather pay Eric money like he is Crosby and have nothing left for a decent defenseman, but they stay in position and keep the puck out of our net at least.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I wouldn't get rid of Jokinen either- I think he has value to us but because of Ruutu's injury and lack of a real 3rd center he's being pigeonholed into this role that he really isn't suited for. If we could put him and Skinner with one of the Staals I think they would produce, but doing that means our third and fourth line are essentially a Frankenstein of spare parts. Muller seems to be falling into a Mo trap of never playing the fourth line, which doesn't make sense to me considering the moves made to theoretically bolster the size/productivity of that line.

Really though, I think the problems at forward would sort themselves out if we had a defense that didn't belong to the Fayetteville FireAntz.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Well, as someone said on another link, this obsession with PMD that JR has needs to end. We need 1 maybe 2 PMD, and the rest need to concentrate on keeping the puck out of our net. there is no need for 5 MPD and Harrison. these other guys are making harrison look incredible. He gets the puck out, he is in position and while he doesnt make any incredible skill plays, he also doesnt make any boneheaded plays.

Remember: Wallin, Wesley, Commodore, A Ward, Hedican, Kaberle? None of those guys are great, because JR would rather pay Eric money like he is Crosby and have nothing left for a decent defenseman, but they stay in position and keep the puck out of our net at least.

Replace all instances of Harrison with Faulk and I agree.

Not saying Harrison hasn't been solid in his own zone, but Faulk has been by far the highlight on defense.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Replace all instances of Harrison with Faulk and I agree.

Not saying Harrison hasn't been solid in his own zone, but Faulk has been by far the highlight on defense.

Which only means that JR will ship him, a pick and a prospect to the Rangers for Marc Staal. :laugh:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Why not McBain + Bowman + Boychuk + Pick?

Because the Rangers will tell him to get lost.

Two guys who are healthy scratches on a bad team and a guy who is probably would be a 3rd or 4th liner on the Rangers and a pick won't get you Marc Staal.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Because the Rangers will tell him to get lost.

Two guys who are healthy scratches on a bad team and a guy who is probably would be a 3rd or 4th liner on the Rangers and a pick won't get you Marc Staal.

I know.

What team could use a PMD and give up a top 4 D?

What about Hal Gill? He's up there in age, but would be great for mentor for Faulk maybe?

Gleason / Pitkanen
Gill / Faulk

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It sucks that it doesn't seem like we need forwards, because I bet Detroit would give up Z, Datsyuk, and a 1st rounder right now for a living breathing defenseman. Corvo fits the bill!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad