NCAA GDT: Army/Navy and Heisman Saturday

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Been 6 years since either team scored more than 21 points in the game.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Fun fact- Army-Navy was once played at the Rose Bowl. Really. In 1983.

fisheye-view-of-the-1983-army-navy-game-at-the-rose-bowl-pasadena-picture-id55385651

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Watching these teams triple option their way to 4 yard carries while their QB's put up the stats of bad high school QB's just doesn't do it for me.

It’s not a game that needs its own week all to itself either. But Army has 10 wins. Service academies aren’t going to get a high enough level of a roster to do anything other than triple options, any quarterback who can play is going to an actual school.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
It’s not a game that needs its own week all to itself either. But Army has 10 wins. Service academies aren’t going to get a high enough level of a roster to do anything other than triple options, any quarterback who can play is going to an actual school.
There are hundreds if not thousands of high school spread offense QBs that don't have the measureables and aren't pro hopefuls that could run a decent spread offense for the service academies if they could get in. The stringent admissions process (limits recruiting of every position) and physical ability requirements (limits both OL and DL recruiting - can't get the hogs on the LoS required to compete in modern football) hold them back more than anything else. Even with the requirement to serve for several years after they graduate, service academies could probably field decent teams without having all the stringent requirements. But that's what keeps those schools elite academically and militarily, so it's not going to change.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I wish theyd stop hyping this game up. It's hard to actually watch. I wouldn't credit the defemes as much as I would say the playcalling was that bad. Army did just enough to win a game they should have probably trounced in.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I no longer respect the award. You give it to a guy who got to pad his stats because his team couldn't stop a mosquito. I LOATHE Alabama but this guy hardly played in a 4th quarter. Stick Murray against Georgia I bet he also has a horrible game and loses because his D wouldn't stop the run.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Having to put a ton of points because his defense couldn’t stop a toilet from running all over them is by definition the opposite of stat-padding. That’s literally the first time I’ve ever seen someone accused of running up numbers because he had to keep scoring.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I no longer respect the award. You give it to a guy who got to pad his stats because his team couldn't stop a mosquito. I LOATHE Alabama but this guy hardly played in a 4th quarter. Stick Murray against Georgia I bet he also has a horrible game and loses because his D wouldn't stop the run.

Lol this is the oldest arguement ever by SEC homers and it's routinely disproved. Outside of Alabama, every other team is routinely lit up offensively by teams with competent QB play.

Reactions: AdmiralsFan24

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Seems harsh on Tua, but honestly I don't even put too much stock in the award anymore

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Having to put a ton of points because his defense couldn’t stop a toilet from running all over them is by definition the opposite of stat-padding. That’s literally the first time I’ve ever seen someone accused of running up numbers because he had to keep scoring.

Yeah, letting Tua play in the 4th quarter when Alabaama is up by 50 would be stat padding. Letting Murray keep playing in the 4th quarter because they would give up any lead they had because their defense is awful is called playing to win I guess?

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Lol this is the oldest arguement ever by SEC homers and it's routinely disproved. Outside of Alabama, every other team is routinely lit up offensively by teams with competent QB play.

See Georgia against Oklahoma last year. Lots of SEC defense vs competent QBs/offenses this year too. Texas A&M vs NC State, Kentucky vs Penn State, Mizzou vs Oklahoma State and of course Oklahoma's offense vs Alabama's defense. Shame that Milton got hurt because that would've been another good QB going against LSU's defense.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Scott Boras sure was quick to remind everyone that Murray won't be going to the NFL. :laugh:
Which is something I believe Kyler has since walked back.

Someone is going to draft him hoping to entice him to skip out on baseball, to which there is already a dollar amount to beat. And sometimes when you tell a 21-year old kid what he can't do, it just entices him more to do it. I think this notion being floated that he'll be a 1st round pick is a little too far, but maybe it's Kiper and McShay carrying some water. I can't imagine a 5'9" QB can be a 1st round pick, but who knows.

I'd absolutely love to see Scott Boras get screwed here. It'll be pennies that he'll be out, but it'll still be hilarious.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Which is something I believe Kyler has since walked back.

Someone is going to draft him hoping to entice him to skip out on baseball, to which there is already a dollar amount to beat. And sometimes when you tell a 21-year old kid what he can't do, it just entices him more to do it. I think this notion being floated that he'll be a 1st round pick is a little too far, but maybe it's Kiper and McShay carrying some water. I can't imagine a 5'9" QB can be a 1st round pick, but who knows.

I'd absolutely love to see Scott Boras get screwed here. It'll be pennies that he'll be out, but it'll still be hilarious.

That's what got my attention as well, the idea that Boras could be screwed out of an agent's bonus or whatever it is he would get if Murray plays in Oakland.

He's just such an unlikeable guy. :laugh:

Could Boras theoretically take Murray to court for walking out of a signed deal with Oakland, if he chooses football instead?

member 157595

Why on Earth would anyone consider football over baseball if they have the option?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->