Armstrong and the playoff push - keep playing or replace with _____ ?

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Seeing how there's a good chance of making the playoffs I'm on the fence on whether or not we should experiment with someone else.

On one side he hasn't exactly hurt this team in the standings so why fix what isn't broken. Looks like he's a popular guy and brings good vibes.

The other part of me says MB should try to upgrade with a harder to play against type vet (without giving away juicy picks or prospects) as this guy is pretty much irrelevant at this stage in his career.

He brings:

• experience
  • team guy
  • error free/defensively reliable

He doesn't bring:

• toughness/grit
  • production
  • energy

What would you like to see? Also see poll

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
Keep him. But he is the odd man out when we're healthy

simplysincere*

Unless we can acquire a "gritty" vet for cheap, like trading an under-performing player in Hamilton who needs a change of scenery, I'd rather keep our picks (yes, even the 4th and 5th rounders), and Armstrong.

The chemistry of our team is good, I don't think we should change unless it's absolutely necessary.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
He played really well during the last trip

-Dumont will go back to hamilton
-Nok will probably be waived

It's between Armstrong and white for the last spot.

If we get a foward before the deadline I don't know what to do...

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Couldn't agree more. Once Noke and Armstrong are gone, you have Dumont in there full-time.

I like Armstrong, but he's the odd man out once the line-up is completely healthy.

Been a little disappointed with Armstrong's play, not that I was expecting 15-20 goals from him but even on most nights I don't notice him much. He was way more nasty when playing for the Pens and Thrashers. Anyways I'm happy management only offered him a 1 year deal, good team guy but no need for him going forward with Dumont in the system

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007

Armstrong has been playing better...even has a a gear in speed added. He seems to be getting better and better and IMO, he's the perfect fit for the 4th line. I would rather upgrade Moen at this point.
Dumont has suprised me and Nok could be very well waived. At this point I keep Dumont. White, I used to love but this year, he's not the same level of energie. Hits a lot less but at the same time, wins FO and is still a gritty player.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Been a little disappointed with Armstrong's play, not that I was expecting 15-20 goals from him but even on most nights I don't notice him much. He was way more nasty when playing for the Pens and Thrashers. Anyways I'm happy management only offered him a 1 year deal, good team guy but no need for him going forward with Dumont in the system

At the season' start, yes but the past 5-8 games, he's getting better and better.
You are right, he's not the same player he once was for the Pens and Thrashers but my guess is that injuries had taking a toll last year and the start of the season. It may be confidence he needs to have with his body....hitting more and more.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Armstrong is depth. When we're healthy, he should be the first guy out of the line-up, but for now he isn't costing games, is reliable enough on D and strong against the boards.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
Army is getting better and better...

I don't mind picking up another grinder, but I think Army is a great guy to have down the stretch...

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Army is getting better and better...

I don't mind picking up another grinder, but I think Army is a great guy to have down the stretch...

+great for team spirit
+manly nose
+hilarious french

-slowest player i've ever seen
-no hits against boston.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com

Why Nokelainen gets no love around here? I thought he was the perfect 4th line centre last year. He works hard, chips a bit offensively and he's terrific in the faceoff circle, something we are missing this year. I would definitely give him a chance to be a regular this year.

DogsFan*

I don't hate Armstrong at all.. I think he's been okay for us, a little snakebitten but he was hurt all last year and is still adjusting. However, I don't necessarily see him as a guy we're eager to keep. I can't see the Habs offering him a contract after this season.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Why Nokelainen gets no love around here? I thought he was the perfect 4th line centre last year. He works hard, chips a bit offensively and he's terrific in the faceoff circle, something we are missing this year. I would definitely give him a chance to be a regular this year.

I would give him a chance to but who do you sit?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
But Armstong was never a fighter more of an agitator and Dumont can easily fill that void going forward

That's sort of my point. Because he's not a fighter, he needs to be replaced, IF we want to keep Prust healthy enough to be effective.

I wouldn't even say Armstrong has been agitating either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad