Confirmed with Link: Armia sign with Habs (1 year, $1.85M)

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
My concern is the concussion. Is it healed? Do you want to do a long term deal with an injured player?
Judging from all his pictures of him travelling and doing things, it seems so, but ya never know I guess.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
good deal, he signed for a little less then I thought he would. Has a 1 year show me deal, then if he does well they can lock him up to a 5-6 year deal. I think they will keep him around as someone to help mentor Kota when he gets here.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Habs will never learn...this was the same deal that made Josh G a 4 million dollar man.,......same type of deal that took Plekenac who was asking for 5 x $3.5 million...and turn him into a 6.5 million dollar man ....Same thinking that made Subban way more money ..

Another burn comin...

Unless Armia doesnt want to be in Montreal long term and maybe that might be why the 1 year deal...then 1 more next year then go UFA get out of town ...but why a 1 year deal?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Habs will never learn...this was the same deal that made Josh G a 4 million dollar man.,......same type of deal that took Plekenac who was asking for 5 x $3.5 million...and turn him into a 6.5 million dollar man ....Same thinking that made Subban way more money ..

Another burn comin...

Unless Armia doesnt want to be in Montreal long term and maybe that might be why the 1 year deal...then 1 more next year then go UFA get out of town ...but why a 1 year deal?

They f*** up the long term contracts too though. Look at Shaw. This management group just sucks at contracts.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Yes, you are right! If this 16th overall 6'3 right winger who plays good defence & can score doesn't gel with a brand new team within 40 games we should trade him. This is how you build winners.

If my GM's plan of building a winner revolves around a 25 year old 3rd liner or considers his career high 12 goals as someone who can "score", I honestly would just want him fired.

More seriously though, I like Armia, I've said so a few times. I liked him before playing for the Jets and I followed Winnipeg quite a bit the past 2 years and he's someone I didn't think we'd get for so cheap a cap dump. And, I'd have been happy with a 4 year deal around 2.5-3M, but I'm not sure either party wanted to go that way. And looking at it that way, I don't think there's anything wrong with looking at anyone in the lineup who could potentially be trade baits this year. We have plenty of wingers already and if Armia, for any reason, isn't worth the price at the TDL and the offer's worth it, why not ? Say he paces for 25 goals and wants a 5 year 25M$ deal, I wouldn't hold off on a trade getting us a 1st+futures if it's available.

It's all hypothesis, but this is a message board, discussing things is the whole point of it.

Reactions: G0bias

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
If my GM's plan of building a winner revolves around a 25 year old 3rd liner or considers his career high 12 goals as someone who can "score", I honestly would just want him fired.

More seriously though, I like Armia, I've said so a few times. I liked him before playing for the Jets and I followed Winnipeg quite a bit the past 2 years and he's someone I didn't think we'd get for so cheap a cap dump. And, I'd have been happy with a 4 year deal around 2.5-3M, but I'm not sure either party wanted to go that way. And looking at it that way, I don't think there's anything wrong with looking at anyone in the lineup who could potentially be trade baits this year. We have plenty of wingers already and if Armia, for any reason, isn't worth the price at the TDL and the offer's worth it, why not ? Say he paces for 25 goals and wants a 5 year 25M$ deal, I wouldn't hold off on a trade getting us a 1st+futures if it's available.

It's all hypothesis, but this is a message board, discussing things is the whole point of it.

This is all very well said, tbh I'm just salty these days and want to remain positive about this team, although it's nigh impossible. I do hope Armia works out.

Reactions: DavePeak

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
This is all very well said, tbh I'm just salty these days and want to remain positive about this team, although it's nigh impossible. I do hope Armia works out.

Oh, for sure. We all are at this point.

I can't say that for sure Armia's going to work out, but I liked him quite a bit. The deal was a definite positive for me. He's as good a candidate as any to work well under Julien and my general feeling watching him is that we've only partially seen what he can do. He was buried under a ton of depth in Winnipeg and still finding some consistency.

Maybe he becomes a long term player here or gets traded, either way he's a good asset with no commitment past this season. He can leave if we don't like him and we retain his rights if he's too expensive. It's a win even if it doesn't work out.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
He shouldn't spend money just for the sake of spending it. That's how you get another Alzner situation.

Bergevin thought Alzner was a good move. Pro scouting fails again, and that contract is gag inducing. Re-signing Markov was a much smarter move.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
They **** up the long term contracts too though. Look at Shaw. This management group just sucks at contracts.

lol..Marc Andre Fleury just signed for 7 million a year..will pay Pricer 15 million this year and 15 million next year

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Once again looks like Cap Space will be the team MVP this year , Molson has to make up for those 2-3 playoff game he will lose so Bergy has to save at least 6M

CountKong

Jun 5, 2018
Yes, you are right! If this 16th overall 6'3 right winger who plays good defence & can score doesn't gel with a brand new team within 40 games we should trade him. This is how you build winners.

I think he just meant that its better to have that option to deal him rather than lock him in for 4 years right off the bat. No need to get snarky with him.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I think he just meant that its better to have that option to deal him rather than lock him in for 4 years right off the bat. No need to get snarky with him.

Honestly you're right, I fessed up to just being salty about this team in general lately and snippy. Might also be my 60 hour work week and these 35 degree days.

Sorry, board!

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
How about resigning Radulov for that 7 million he wanted...

We still would've had 5 million to spend, and have a legit 1st liner on our team.

Oh well, another year of Byron Froese
Montreal offered that. Radulov wanted tax relief. Blame him instead.

1 year deals are stupid. Buy 2 years, you just might get some good value. Buy 1 you pay market price for the next one.
2 years would be stupid. Then he walks for free if he wants to.

Another burn comin...

If a player doesn't want to play for a team and is two years away from free agency then he goes for the 2 year contract. The one year contract tells me he wants to be a Hab and wants a long term deal once he has proven his worth. 2 year deal is worst case scenario.

CountKong

Jun 5, 2018
Honestly you're right, I fessed up to just being salty about this team in general lately and snippy. Might also be my 60 hour work week and these 35 degree days.

Sorry, board!
Re-reading my post I think I'm equally as guilty. All good, hope you're keeping cool!

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
He shouldn't spend money just for the sake of spending it. That's how you get another Alzner situation.

Absolutely right. I'm just so happy that for the first time in since I can remember, a Habs team is not trying to patch up holes with short term plugs just to squeeze into the playoffs and forfeit the future.

Good signing. Let's hope Armia has a great year and earn a better contract next year.

Reactions: Dhafol and Andrei79

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Of course, cause if we had Radulov, we’d be winning the cup........

Even with Radulov the Stars couldn’t even make the playoffs on a stacked team
In very different conferences and divisions. Anyways an ok signing I guess but being one year means closer to being a UFA...might cost more to sign him into the UFA years if he has a good season.

Reactions: jaffy27

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

Another burn comin...

I don't think Armia will become anything more than a third liner. He won't be worth more than 4 million a year in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->