Confirmed with Link: Armia sign with Habs (1 year, $1.85M)

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011
What are we going to do with 12 million in cap space, with just Danault to resign..

Pathetic management by Bergevin and gang

We are the Montreal Canadiens, not the Florida Panthers/Arizona Coyotes.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Unfortunate it's just a one year deal, but not terrible for us going forward.

darknife2311

Jun 29, 2018
What are we going to do with 12 million in cap space, with just Danault to resign..

maybe Bergevin will try a big blow ... at least I hope it's part of his "plan"

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011
He shouldn't spend money just for the sake of spending it. That's how you get another Alzner situation.

How about resigning Radulov for that 7 million he wanted...

We still would've had 5 million to spend, and have a legit 1st liner on our team.

Oh well, another year of Byron Froese

Hopzilla

Apr 29, 2013
Armia is gonna get a lot more quality ice time this year (being on a below average team and all...) and will have a chance to shine and raise his stock. It makes sense for him to only sign one year and try to get a better contract next year.

Bargainbin

1 FOR 1
Jun 17, 2017

Florida is good why bash them

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Armia is gonna get a lot more quality ice time this year (being on a below average team and all...) and will have a chance to shine and raise his stock. It makes sense for him to only sign one year and try to get a better contract next year.

Our wingers are not as good as the Jets, but they're still pretty good and we have plenty of them, he'll have to battle with Gallagher, Scherbak, Lehkonen, Byron and Shaw who all can play on the right side.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
That's a '' make us give you a bigger deal next year'' type of contract, which is the appropriate way to go with him right now. Hopefully he goes into this season super motivated.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Good deal. I guess the 1 year is more in tune with let's see how he fits in this team and we can go longer next summer.

OR, this contract can be used as trade bait at the deadline for playoff teams.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

That's why Price has a 10.5M$ cap hit, we needed that contract to reach the floor cap

:sarcasm:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
1 year deals are stupid. Buy 2 years, you just might get some good value. Buy 1 you pay market price for the next one.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I'd rather they not spend the money than waste it on guys like Alzner.

There are also dominoes yet to fall this offseason.

Plus, they aren't the only big market team with tons of cap space. Rangers have around 22 mil with only Spooner, Hayes and Vesey as notable RFAs. Leafs have 15 mil with only Nylander to re-up (although they have an interesting off-season next year). Vegas has 14 mil with only Bill Karlsson. Flyers have 13 mil with only Hagg. Canucks have 13 mil. And so on.

Reactions: jaffy27

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Since he will still be an RFA I see little risk in doing a one year deal and the money is dirt cheap. I'm not a fan of spending money just because you have it to spend. I like Armia but I don't want to overpay for players of his character because the league is full of guys who can do what he does. You should only pay big money to players who don't grow on trees.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad