1. Trade Joey and Ellis to CBJ for Seth Jones and their first
2. Trade Bonino to Buffalo for their 1st
3. Trade Smith to Edmonton for their 1st
4. Trade Saros for a 1st-2nd
5. Trade Granlund for a 2nd
6. Trade Josi (BOOM!) to Florida for Ekblad
7. Watch BUF and CBJ drop during the spring turning their picks into #1 and #5
8. NSH 1st ends up as a top 10
9. Draft Lafreniere, Holtz and Askarov with the BUF, CBJ and NSH 1sts and whoever with EDMs 1st
10. Sign Gustafsson as an UFA in the summer
11. Sign Hall as an UFA in the summer
12. Sign Lehner or Holtby as a UFA in the summer
13. Pay Mitch Korn the moon to come back
14. Pay Rinne under the table to fake a jersey material allergy and set him on LTIR
15. Sign me as a GM/Head Coach

Hall - Duchene - Arvy
Forsberg - Turris - Holtz
Trenin - Lafreniere - Grimaldi
Watson - Sissons - Järnkrok

Jones - Ekblad
Ekholm - Gustafsson
Hamhuis - Fabbro

Lehner
Askarov

Easy peasy

Dont bogart that joint, man.... pass it on, you've had too much already :laugh:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
1. Trade Joey and Ellis to CBJ for Seth Jones and their first
2. Trade Bonino to Buffalo for their 1st
3. Trade Smith to Edmonton for their 1st
4. Trade Saros for a 1st-2nd
5. Trade Granlund for a 2nd
6. Trade Josi (BOOM!) to Florida for Ekblad
7. Watch BUF and CBJ drop during the spring turning their picks into #1 and #5
8. NSH 1st ends up as a top 10
9. Draft Lafreniere, Holtz and Askarov with the BUF, CBJ and NSH 1sts and whoever with EDMs 1st
10. Sign Gustafsson as an UFA in the summer
11. Sign Hall as an UFA in the summer
12. Sign Lehner or Holtby as a UFA in the summer
13. Pay Mitch Korn the moon to come back
14. Pay Rinne under the table to fake a jersey material allergy and set him on LTIR
15. Sign me as a GM/Head Coach

Hall - Duchene - Arvy
Forsberg - Turris - Holtz
Trenin - Lafreniere - Grimaldi
Watson - Sissons - Järnkrok

Jones - Ekblad
Ekholm - Gustafsson
Hamhuis - Fabbro

Lehner
Askarov

Easy peasy

So all of those teams are willing? You know this how?

I'm getting whiplash shaking my head at posts here lately.

Reactions: Pr0fet

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
We have a 10 or so day break after tonight's game.

Let Hynes review tape and see what he can come up with. Juggle lines and pairings to his heart's content.

Let Poile see what Hynes has done to determine if he's a seller or buyer at the deadline.

Depending on which way we go in the standings really dictates if Poile is back next year. If we don't make the playoffs, I think he needs to go. If we make the playoffs and we see the same style of play/results we've seen the last few years, he's gone too. If we make a good run, maybe we make some tweaks for next year but he's still on a relatively short leash IMO.

I think he made a lot of good moves but there are certainly some questionable ones in my mind.

1. Fiala for Granlund is horrible if Granlund walks in the offseason. I don't think we re-sign him as he has been less than to be desired. We have to move him before the deadline but I don't think Poile will.
  2. Protecting Jarnkrok over Neal. You need big-bodied forwards to win in the playoffs and that was a bad choice. While Jarnkrok is a swiss army knife, he's a soft player that can fill temporary roles yet we try to use him in a more permanent role which does not work.
  3. Losing Fisher to retirement and trading Wilson were losses to the roster. Add that to the loss of Neal and it's bit us in the butt. Once again, two big bodies that performed come playoff time. Poile never replaced those big bodies. While they weren't massive offensive producers, they chipped in their fair amount of points and made it hard for teams to play against us.

I'll address the overall softness issue here with our roster. You have to have balance. You need scorers, speed guys, PMD, defensive defensemen, guys that can win faceoffs, guys that can play physical, etc.

We have 4 forwards in Arvy, Grimalid, Turris and Jarnkrok who are not physical or that can make a physical impact. Grimaldi for his lack of size is actually willing to throw his body around.

Then add guys like Duchene, Granlund, Johansen and Bonino who really don't throw their weight around too much either. That's 8 out of 12 forwards who play on a nightly basis who lack any sort of physicality.

Then we have guys like Forsberg and Smith who will mix it up here and there but don't play that sort of game all the time.

Which then leaves us with guys like Sissons, Watson, Blackwell and Trenin. Only 2 of them will play at a time up front with everyone else listed above. Way too soft up front.

Then look at the back end:

Josi and Ellis are soft as a pairing. While they are very good in the regular season they get eaten alive in the playoffs.

Ekholm and Fabbro are not overly physical. Ekholm can be from time to time but he plays a very controlled game.

Anyone who plays on the third pairing outside of Tinordi is generally soft and even Tinordi hasn't shown me much physically.

I'm not saying we need a roster of goons or guys that are just flying around hitting everything that moves out there but look at the teams that made the finals last year, not a ton of elite talent, if at all, yet they had very good players that could play a heavy and/or physical game.

While I believe the game has changed over the last decade, playing good D, having a team that isn't afraid to throw the body around and having a fair amount of skill in the lineup is the key to success in the playoffs. Obviously you have to get there first but this team would benefit from having some guys that can chip in 40-50 points a year that isn't afraid to throw their body around and if I'm the GM of this team, that's how I retool.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Glen, you have obviously bogarted Pt0fets blunt if you think the owners have the stones to fire Poile. They know jack squat about hockey, at least at the level needed to wisely choose a new GM. They wouldnt have the first clue who to hire. Now, could he get kicked upstairs into a "Senior advisor" spot and Kealty be given the reins? Maybe. The only alternative I could see our owners trying would be Shero.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm too straight edged for this thread....Though they say CBD is good for my MS....

I, as a fan who knows NOTHING of the Preds locker room, want the Preds to turn a center into a LW and improve the D, AND add leadership.

The craziest idea I have is:

Johansen, YWeber, + for Kovy and SWeber from Montreal.

Strip the C from Josi and get the new 'leadership group' A's. You want the C, earn it. I have been chill because the draft has been lauded and bandied for 3 years. People who know say that the top 25 players would have been top 5 for the past 3-5 years. But the results.....oy. Poile is pinching pennies, you can see it by sending players to Milwaukee, saving a LITTLE bit of cap. Not much but every little thing helps.

I'm going to watch the Buffalo game from home. With Lavy the effort was meh, with the recent change to Hynes there was a bit more pep, an 'oh shit, we dun gone f***ed up.'

I think Smith is gone. If Hynes stays, Watson is gone. For the first time in ages, the Preds have too many top line centers; Duchene, Turris, Johansen. Whats NOT new is having too many 4th liners Sissons, Trenin, Blackwood, Watson.

If you are happy with Josi as C then make a move for Kreider.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Glen, you have obviously bogarted Pt0fets blunt if you think the owners have the stones to fire Poile. They know jack squat about hockey, at least at the level needed to wisely choose a new GM. They wouldnt have the first clue who to hire. Now, could he get kicked upstairs into a "Senior advisor" spot and Kealty be given the reins? Maybe. The only alternative I could see our owners trying would be Shero.

I wish....lol.

Shero is who I would target if I were the ownership group. Also, how many ownership groups know about GM's and who to hire?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I wish....lol.

Shero is who I would target if I were the ownership group. Also, how many ownership groups know about GM's and who to hire?
I did not want to even bring up Shero's name but when he was fired it jumped in fast that if this ownership group did get the balls to fire Poile he would be atop the list.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
early, but I wonder how far up the draft board we could move up at the draft if we packaged our first and the New Jersey 2nd (assuming we stay where we are)

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
early, but I wonder how far up the draft board we could move up at the draft if we packaged our first and the New Jersey 2nd (assuming we stay where we are)
if we were around 15 overall and NJ was around 33 overall ... # 15 + # 33 = #7-10?

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
If we come out after the break and play well for two weeks, I'm doing the following:

1. Moving Granlund for another top 6 that is underperforming. Change of scenery.
2. Looking for a top 4 RHD with some grit and nasty in his game.

If we come out after the break and stink up the joint, I'm doing the following:
1. Moving Granlund, Smith, Bonino, Jarnkrok, and Watson for combinations of picks, prospects with promise and middle-six players with grit to their game. If you can move Turris too it's a bonus but I wouldn't sell low on him at this time.

While that's a ton moving out you build the team around the core of this team as well as some of the youth in the system.

We'd have Forsberg, Joey, Arvy, Duchene, Grimaldi, Turris, Sissons, Blackwell and Trenin. Figure out how to add a top 6 forward to that group along with a couple of third-line players with some offense and grit and I think we're set. I know it's a major shakeup but the group as it currently stands would need it if we can't wake ourselves up sooner than later.

I'd even consider a shakeup on the backend if necessary.

Reactions: JGeorge54

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
1. Moving Granlund, Smith, Bonino, Jarnkrok, and Watson for combinations of picks, prospects with promise and middle-six players with grit to their game. If you can move Turris too it's a bonus but I wouldn't sell low on him at this time.

While that's a ton moving out you build the team around the core of this team as well as some of the youth in the system.

We'd have Forsberg, Joey, Arvy, Duchene, Grimaldi, Turris, Sissons, Blackwell and Trenin. Figure out how to add a top 6 forward to that group along with a couple of third-line players with some offense and grit and I think we're set. I know it's a major shakeup but the group as it currently stands would need it if we can't wake ourselves up sooner than later.

I can sort of see the logic here, but in a retool scenario I don't really see the point in keeping the core that has been underperforming together while shipping out a lot of the guys who have been playing at or above expectations. If you really want a shakeup you move someone who is a core piece of the team as it maximizes value while sending a much stronger message. I don't think you're looking at much of a return out of the guys you listed either.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
If we come out after the break and play well for two weeks, I'm doing the following:

1. Moving Granlund for another top 6 that is underperforming. Change of scenery.
2. Looking for a top 4 RHD with some grit and nasty in his game.

I'd even consider a shakeup on the backend if necessary.
I'm curious as to why you left out what I consider our potential weakest position going forward and that is goaltender. Saros is not our future at that position and that need has to be addressed.

Reactions: Byrddog

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I'm curious as to why you left out what I consider our potential weakest position going forward and that is goaltender. Saros is not our future at that position and that need has to be addressed.
I totally agree here it is a crime that the Preds ruined what Sarros could have been by placing him on the bench behind Pekka when he should have been in the AHL getting full seasons of work. He could have been the replacement but now he will bounce around the league as a back up for a few years then be gone. Just poor development.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
For those that want to give up on Saros following this season what is your solution to replace him? Keep in mind that unless Pekka decides to retire he essentially has to be on the roster next season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think it's just a little to knee-jerky to give up on Saros right now... right now when the season has been so far off the rails in so many areas. A lot of goalies don't even start getting NHL action until they are 24. He already has 100 games. Last year (and the year before, and the year before that) people were jerking their knees in the opposite direction declaring that he should be starting playoff games over Rinne.

Yes, things aren't going great right now. But it's a small sample in the bigger picture. Saros will certainly always be haunted by the size questions. But all the way up until this season he just kept finding ways to push himself to the top despite those questions. I doubt very much that he's done pushing at 24.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think it's just a little to knee-jerky to give up on Saros right now... right now when the season has been so far off the rails in so many areas. A lot of goalies don't even start getting NHL action until they are 24. He already has 100 games. Last year (and the year before, and the year before that) people were jerking their knees in the opposite direction declaring that he should be starting playoff games over Rinne.

Yes, things aren't going great right now. But it's a small sample in the bigger picture. Saros will certainly always be haunted by the size questions. But all the way up until this season he just kept finding ways to push himself to the top despite those questions. I doubt very much that he's done pushing at 24.

Exactly. Saros is still quite young for a goalie and we've seen him perform better, the majority of the team has sucked this year though. Having said that, he does need to work on controlling his rebounds.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It just doesn't really make much sense to try and make any moves goaltending wise given the current contract situations of all the goalies in our system. With Pekka being on the roster next season if you want to try anyone else you are either carrying three goalies or just completely giving up on Saros and moving him. We're sort of in a spot where we have to let it play out the rest of this season and next year and see if Saros bounces back. Either way Saros is an RFA after next season and Pekka will be gone too. You've also given Ingram another full season in the AHL presumably as the starter instead of the 1A/1B situation he is in right now. Based on how everything has panned out at the end of next season you can then either sign someone to be the starter out of free agency or try some sort of Ingram/Saros tandem.

Last edited:

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I’m Starting to be all for putting one of our older defenseman on the block while their value is high. Ellis is one I would move. I think he would bring back a lot from someone like Toronto. We need to start thinking about getting younger. I don’t know know just thinking out loud. Goalie wise I wouldn’t mind seeing us make a play for lehner as well

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I’m Starting to be all for putting one of our older defenseman on the block while their value is high. Ellis is one I would move. I think he would bring back a lot from someone like Toronto. We need to start thinking about getting younger. I don’t know know just thinking out loud. Goalie wise I wouldn’t mind seeing us make a play for lehner as well
I have always been in favor of moving Ellis, just... we have to have a Plan for how to replace him as well. RD being Fabbro and nobody else is definitely not going to work. Ellis has some foibles - and improved on them this season - but ultimately he's still going to be too slow/small/expensive at some point in that contract. Only problem is, we have no other way of filling those 25 minutes a night any other way.

I would generally say this is not our most pressing concern. But sure... if you could get something good for him AND had a viable way to get us a couple of other solid bigger quality NHL RD's either in the process or some other way... sure, go for it. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad