Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Long long journey through the darkness, where is our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
you don't get far in this league without drafting a goalie or trading for one early.

Here's a list of recent cup champions, and where they got their goalies:

Washington: Drafted
Pittsburgh: Drafted
Chicago: Drafted
Los Angeles: Drafted
Boston: Traded for 1st year
Detroit: Drafted

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
you don't get far in this league without drafting a goalie or trading for one early.

Chicago is also Free Agent, as Niemi was undrafted.

Also, just because there is a recent trend, does not make it the be all and end all. Prior to the stretch you showed, there was a similar stretch where the goalies winning the cup were all acquired via trade or free agency.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Have you seen the Flames record for drafting goalie?

The last one that was any good was Mike Vernon ;)

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I know he has a ton of skill. I just hope he’s more than a Markus Granlund.

Tbh the same could be said about Dillon Dube, though his speed does set him apart.

And Lindstrom is a fine player, smart and all. But I think he lacks any kind of NHL upside. Honestly I don’t think he will ever come over.

Swedish Bill Arnold

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Minnesota fans unhappy with the start of season and already talking about trading players... could we bring in Eric Staal here for a year? Might give us a nice boost if the cost isn't high. His salary would be off the books after this season too.

Something like Frolik + Kylington (or a 2nd?) for Staal

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Staal-Czarnik
Bennett-Backlund-Neal
dube-Ryan- jankowski

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Minnesota fans unhappy with the start of season and already talking about trading players... could we bring in Eric Staal here for a year? Might give us a nice boost if the cost isn't high. His salary would be off the books after this season too.

Something like Frolik + Kylington (or a 2nd?) for Staal

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Staal-Czarnik
Bennett-Backlund-Neal
dube-Ryan- jankowski

Maybe if we are contending for division lead but otherwise I'm less confident in the move. If we had room to keep him after this season it would be a different story.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Have you seen the Flames record for drafting goalie?

The last one that was any good was Mike Vernon ;)

Well.. Anderson as well, but he reentered the draft. I honestly think it's more a goalie development thing than anything. A major part of that was the personnel on the farms. Karlsson and Irving's confidence and game were destroyed down there I believe by Ward. Then we'd get established guy son the big roster and no development for young guys there either.

I think we will start seeing farm system development in the goalie department soon. I can't imagine Treliving spent so much work to finally clean up the development mess (St Johns, Abbotsford, Adirondack, Stockton) only to let goalie development continue to be abysmal. I don't blame Sigalet/Marlarchuk that much anymore. I think Troy Ward was a bigger issue over the last decade or so for the goalie failures.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I'm bored and I want to stir up pointless arguments between friends. Do you guys think Jankowski gets traded this year, and if so, for what?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'm bored and I want to stir up pointless arguments between friends. Do you guys think Jankowski gets traded this year, and if so, for what?

I think he's consistently an extra forward by the end of next year. I think he gets passed by guys on the depth chart and becomes a Colborne for another team

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We need cheap depth. Our forward prospect depth is barren. There'll be a top 12 space for him to win this year and the next. If he doesn't impress, he'll be moved a la Kulak

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
960 was saying yesterday that it’s unlikely Monahan plays Wednesday due to unknown injury, likely from a shot block.... what do lines look like? I’m hoping something like...

JG - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Bennett - Backlund - Neal
Dube - Jankowski - Czarnik
Frolik - Ryan - Hathaway

I feel like I’m forgetting someone though...

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
960 was saying yesterday that it’s unlikely Monahan plays Wednesday due to unknown injury, likely from a shot block.... what do lines look like? I’m hoping something like...

JG - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Frolik - Ryan - Hathaway

Peluso?

I'm good with that lineup. Maybe swap Janko and Ryan; that's about it.
It's fantastic having this depth though man... could you imagine last year, it's like, you already have half a lineup playing a line or two higher than they should... and now it's like, okay, well, we lost our 1C, might as well plug in a guy who can kind of make up the difference.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
That Boston side would be hard to break with Monny in the side....already quaking in my pants.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

JG - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Frolik - Ryan - Hathaway

I'm pretty sure Monahan will play tomorrow. According to Peters he's ok.
Dube is still iffy for tomorrow

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
So the sportsnet guys are saying Monahan likely won't play, but Monahan feels good?

Also, I don't think frolik stays on that second like for more than one game (need to hold against the Bergeron line probably the reason the 3M line is back for now).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->