Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: There are no solutions, only problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
So right now Mangiapane is taking Bennett's place in the morning reps. Which could mean anything (healthy scratch or injury most likely) Anyone think Bennett might be moved at the deadline?

I think he'll be a 40 point player eventually but over the past 15 games or so he's back to not producing. I think he'd be part of the package if the Flames do decide to go after Hoffman, Pacioretty or Kane (pls no).

Tough call because he’s worth more to this organization than anywhere else. If you trade him you get almost nothing back, if you keep him then you have a chance that he develops into something much better. GMs don’t like to move guys like Bennett because if they rip it up elsewhere it usually costs them their job

Reactions: Dack and Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Tough call because he’s worth more to this organization than anywhere else. If you trade him you get almost nothing back, if you keep him then you have a chance that he develops into something much better. GMs don’t like to move guys like Bennett because if they rip it up elsewhere it usually costs them their job

Yeah, it's still the same as earlier in the season. No GM is going to pay enough for Bennett to make it worth it.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Just for fun, assuming the Sens and Canadiens both need a #1 center, what would those teams have to add to the Tkachuk pick to acquire Monahan. For instance, I’d think long and hard about Galchenyuk + Brady for Monahan. Curious to see what others fans would say.

Literally nothing the Sens or Canadiens have could pry Monahan from the flames, nothing.

And Brady Tkachuk is MASSIVELY overrated, I like the guy and want him on the Flames, but he should be going in the teens, not top 5. Matt's pre-draft numbers every year before (-1, -2, -3, etc) all destroy Brady's, and I mean destroy, it's not even close how much better Matt is offensively than Brady.

Trading our #1 center for a potential 2nd line winger (Brady) would set this organization back another 25 years (the last time we had a #1 center). Galchenyuk is no where near a #1 center.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So right now Mangiapane is taking Bennett's place in the morning reps. Which could mean anything (healthy scratch or injury most likely) Anyone think Bennett might be moved at the deadline?

I think he'll be a 40 point player eventually but over the past 15 games or so he's back to not producing. I think he'd be part of the package if the Flames do decide to go after Hoffman, Pacioretty or Kane (pls no).
Taking Jankowski's place, actually.

No, I don't think Bennett will be traded.

Reactions: Dack

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I don't think so, in large part because I don;t think his value is high enorugh to get anything worthwhile and because it was Treliving who drafted him and guys usually stick with their picks longer than they should rather than giving them up too early.

If another GM were to come in the offseason I would think he would be at the top of the list of guys to be moved though.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bennett's value is probably the same as Baetschi when they traded him....at best a 2nd rounder if they found an idiot (i.e Benning) that even want to pay that.

At this point he is a complementary player not the driving piece. He has proven that in the last 2 years. The way he is playing, even on the Flames, his value is of a bottom 6.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Bennett's value is probably the same as Baetschi when they traded him....at best a 2nd rounder if they found an idiot (i.e Benning) that even want to pay that.

At this point he is a complementary player not the driving piece. He has proven that in the last 2 years. The way he is playing, even on the Flames, his value is of a bottom 6.

His value should be higher than Baertschi because:

A. He isn't a scum bag cancer
B. He can actually play physically and a good defensive game
C. He is much more talented offensively

However I am not sure he has a moron like Weisbrod in a decision making position to convince someone to overpay for him.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017

Lol or Lazar right? That worked well for us

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Why didn't it work out well?

We have a young decent bottom 6 guy for a pick that likely at best produces an AHLer for 5 years.

I’d argue he has less value than a 2nd round pick now. We could use that 2nd to either draft a similar player or package into getting someone better. We have players in the system that can fill Lazar’s role pretty easily. I don’t hate that Treliving took the gamble but it’s a major stretch to say it worked out well imo

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Which players can fill that role?

He has played better than every guy brought up from Stockton this year as well as vets like Stajan and Brouwer.

I don't think we are getting much use out of a player we get for a second at the deadline this year.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Why didn't it work out well?

We have a young decent bottom 6 guy for a pick that likely at best produces an AHLer for 5 years.

A 2nd can be a bust like you assume or can be the next Brandon Saad....

And I wouldnt call someone that scored once in his last 80 game decent....

Reactions: Dack

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
His value should be higher than Baertschi because:

A. He isn't a scum bag cancer
B. He can actually play physically and a good defensive game
C. He is much more talented offensively

However I am not sure he has a moron like Weisbrod in a decision making position to convince someone to overpay for him.

A. I dont know if that is really true with Baertschi.
B. That's true
C. I disagreed. He is producing little.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
A. I dont know if that is really true with Baertschi.
B. That's true
C. I disagreed. He is producing little.

Baerstschi is producing because he is been fed minutes on a bad team that he wouldn't be good enough to get on a team with decent players.

On a play-off level team with play-off level players Baertshci isn't close to good enough to be in the top 6 and not close to talented enough to produce with lower ice time and lesser players.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Baerstschi is producing because he is been fed minutes on a bad team that he wouldn't be good enough to get on a team with decent players.

On a play-off level team with play-off level players Baertshci isn't close to good enough to be in the top 6 and not close to talented enough to produce with lower ice time and lesser players.

Not a fan of Baerschi...all I am saying is Bennett trade value is not much better considering his production in the last 2 yrs

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
There is no point in trading Bennett. Think of Ferland. He showed flashes of brilliance but really needed time to put it all together. I think Bennett is the same. Unless someone offers you something really good, why trade him?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
There is no point in trading Bennett. Think of Ferland. He showed flashes of brilliance but really needed time to put it all together. I think Bennett is the same. Unless someone offers you something really good, why trade him?

Also, how many gritty top 9 players do we have? Ferland & Tkachuk? That’s it, everyone else is soft, so why are we wanting to deal one of players that plays with an edge. The Flames signed Brouwer in FA to fill that need, the Oilers did the same with Lucic, how are those deals working out?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
While words can’t fully express how much I dislike this coaching staff, it wasn’t any different under Hartley. The same core has been together for the better part of 4 years and they’ve been Jekyll & Hyde from the beginning. Even with key players added every year, Bennett, Tkachuk, Hamonic and Smith, there’s no real change in the standings. At what point do you ask yourself if this core has what it takes to carry us home. I mean at the very least the core should be taking some of the onus for the dismal play at home, especially considering it appears they’re basically calling the shots, for lack of a decent coach. Teams have won with questionable coaches, poor defence and shotty goaltending but they do not win with a weak core. I mean come on, we’re 12-13-3 at home(1 game below .500, 6th worst win percentage in the NHL) and 13-5-5 on the road(8 games above .500, tied for 2nd best win percentage in the NHL). Something doesn’t add up. There’s more going on here than just the coaching staff. Has there ever been a team with the 2nd best road record in the NHL that didn’t make the playoff’s??

At some point you have to trade a core player(if it makes sense), this team needs a core player up front. With all the D prospects we have just makes sense to deal someone from the backend.

Reactions: Flames 1st pick

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
This has to change, coach Q can really help this team take the next step.

I think even if they want to pay him that level of money there will be other teams that will pay equally as much if not more and be more appealing to him to coach.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Leivo (24 & RHS) has more or less asked for a trade from the Leafs

Wonder if they'd take Lazar for him

Lazar + 6th or something like that. I’d do it in a heartbeat. Right handed shot, try him on the third line and see if it works

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Max Domi is also available reportedly

"The Coyotes, we’ve learned, have made it known that Max Domi, with three goals this season and 12 in the two years following his 18-goal rookie season, is there for the taking."

https://nypost.com/2018/02/03/jaromir-jagr-deserves-an-immediate-hall-of-fame-call/

I don't know if the guy is reputable but I think given how poor Domi's season has gone it's likely he's available. It would be really good to get him. He's a pass first winger that can play either side and if he weren't shooting 2.8% and on a bad Arizona team would probably be on pace for 50+ points. On top of that he's knocked out Kesler before. This would be huge and would probably be my number one target if we look to add more scoring for a playoff run he's an ideal buy low candidate who's young and having a down year but had a history of producing.

Also Leivo has done really well in limited time and is a RHS I think he would be a great fit for the 3rd line RW. He's a shoot first player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->