Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Jagrbombs all around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I'd give gillies and a d prospect without hesitation. Some of you are such drama queens. We have Rittich who's only a year older than gillies, with parsons and Macdonald waiting in the wings too. Gillies is a good prospect but Kane is a good NHLer.

Also lol he's not a 40 point player, just more of the same ridiculous self serving narrative from one poster.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Oh, my wording might have been a little confusing there. I was wonder if, if it came down to it, you'd rather trade away Gillies or trade away the 1st. Not both of them.. :wg:
I think he is saying Gillies over the 1st but would only do that cost if there is an extension.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Didn’t Treliving say something to the effect that he didn’t believe in the idea of rentals? Or did I just dream that up?

I am not sure whether he said that or not but plenty of GMs have said one thing early on in their tenure and then acted differently after starting to get on the hot seat and with the GG hire looking like a dud and the possibility of trading away a 1st and missing the play-offs I think Treliving might be re-evaluating his stance on some things.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I am not sure whether he said that or not but plenty of GMs have said one thing early on in their tenure and then acted differently after starting to get on the hot seat and with the GG hire looking like a dud and the possibility of trading away a 1st and missing the play-offs I think Treliving might be re-evaluating his stance on some things.
I don’t know. I believe he’s a good GM and to me, every move he’s made has been long term, looking ahead. I’ll be shocked if he goes after a rental. I do believe there’s talks but like I said, I think it’ll be much bigger.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Oh, my wording might have been a little confusing there. I was wonder if, if it came down to it, you'd rather trade away Gillies or trade away the 1st. Not both of them.. :wg:

The reason I replied the way I did is because I think it’s doubtful that Gillies alone gets it done. While the Flames don’t have an abundance of picks, we do have an abundance of good D prospects and with already having the core we do, it make sense to trade away at least one asset to fill a need, which Kane 100% is despite the majority on this disagreeing solely due to his history. If Kane were a choir boy, I think everyone would be in favour of adding him judging solely on his game.

Tkachuk is loved on this board because he’s a mucker, it would be great to another player like that. And Kane’s skill is undeniable, he would make us a dangerous and harder team to play against and he also makes us faster. If the deal is Andersson and Gillies, I pull the trigger on that all day and do not blink.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd give gillies and a d prospect without hesitation. Some of you are such drama queens. We have Rittich who's only a year older than gillies, with parsons and Macdonald waiting in the wings too. Gillies is a good prospect but Kane is a good NHLer.

Also lol he's not a 40 point player, just more of the same ridiculous self serving narrative from one poster.

Kane would probably be a 40 goal scorer here lol.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Evanders Kanes past 5 season point totals- 43, 35, 22, 41, 33 before that 57, 43, 26.

So you are right he is not a 40 point scorer, he only gets that many points in his good seasons.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Evanders Kanes past 5 season point totals- 43, 35, 22, 41, 33 before that 57, 43, 26.

So you are right he is not a 40 point scorer, he only gets that many points in his good seasons.

Once again I'll preface this by saying I've never been a fan of the player and I don't think he's what we need, but I believe his point pace has always been over 40 points per 82 games. That said, there are those who believe the totals are more important than the pace. Those same people wanted Backlund gone. Maybe we just need to graft some mesh into Kane.

Anyway, Kane passes the "what have you done for me lately?" test as right now, he's got 28 points in 32 games on a bad Buffalo team.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think when you are at season 7 PPG is a tough stat to go to because it is hard to think that it is 7 years of bad luck that lead to you not getting to the supposedly high totals you should.

Either way it would be a god awful addition but I think most people realise that now.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think when you are at season 7 PPG is a tough stat to go to because it is hard to think that it is 7 years of bad luck that lead to you not getting to the supposedly high totals you should.

Either way it would be a god awful addition but I think most people realise that now.

Well, using point totals implies that one believes that injury history is relevant in a predictive sense. Using pace assumes that injuries are inherently unpredictable. I don't know enough about the types of injuries Kane has gone to to know which approach is more accurate. But based on his pace, when he's in the lineup, he's much more than a 40 point player. And when he's out of the lineup, he's not much of a factor at all.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Didn’t Treliving say something to the effect that he didn’t believe in the idea of rentals? Or did I just dream that up?

Andersson has 16 points in 20 games as a 21 year old, and has been rock solid defensively, he’s NHL ready. Just for comparison sake Brodie’s best stint in the AHL came as a 22 year old and he posted 20 points in 35 games, let that sink in a bit.

There’s definitely something going on but I’ve got a feeling it’ll be much bigger. I’m calling Hamilton + Lazar for Reinhart + Kane.

Sign Reinhart to a 3 year/$4 million bridge deal, Backlund’s extension comes solely from the savings on the Hamilton deal. That leave approximately $8 million in cap to extend Kane. I’m thinking realistically 5-6 years@$6.5 million. The following year we lose Smith, all old buy outs come off the books and if we have to buy out Brouwer. Resign Tkachuk and Bennett. With the cap increases you take the 2 best out of 3 defensemen and run with it, replacing internally. Same with the goalies.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Kane
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik/Foo
Bennett-Jankowski-Reinhart

That’s a great top 9

Our defense isn't looking so good with this deal, that's a god awful deal. Kane may not even play RW.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I just heard Friedman on the radio, he just said Treliving is definitely looking at adding a top 6 winger. He someone like "Kane". Meaning a physical winger that scores goals is my take. He is basically saying, we are looking at Kane. :)

He said the tricky part is that we would probably need to give up a Gillies and another defensive prospect, since we don't have picks.

I hope we get Simmonds instead then.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If we acquire him, Kane will be the whipping boy on this board as soon as he's no longer a ppg player.

Not as long as we still have Troy "overpriced as f***" Brouwer, Curtis "useless" Lazar, Matt "over the hill" Stajan, Glen "what am I doing?" Gulutzan, and Dave "I am a straight up idiot" Cameron.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I'd bet that Flames would be interested in Okposo before Kane. Treliving and Burke have spent too much time preaching character to throw it out the window on the rental of an alleged rapist and woman beater.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
I'd bet that Flames would be interested in Okposo before Kane. Treliving and Burke have spent too much time preaching character to throw it out the window on the rental of an alleged rapist and woman beater.

Okposo has 5 more years @ a $6M cap hit after this season and has been trash this season.

Kane is twice the player he is

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Okposo has 5 more years @ a $6M cap hit after this season and has been trash this season.

Kane is twice the player he is
1. Buffalo can eat salary
2. Just under half a point per game is hardly "trash"
3. Until this season, Okposo has been the better player over their careers.
4. Kane is a piece of shit human, why would an organization that preaches character even consider him?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I actually think Okposo would be a good fit here. Doubt Buffalo would retain for 5 years though

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Our defense isn't looking so good with this deal, that's a god awful deal. Kane may not even play RW.
Reinhart sure does and honestly he’s far more important in the deal than Kane. Really our defence would still be average at worst. They’re better than they’re playing right now and Andersson is good

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Don't even care that much about the character issues. Just don't really think Kane is all that good. I'd inquire on Simmonds, Neal, JVR before him. Neal would still be my first choice, he's a UFA in the summer so if it doesn't work out the Flames can cut ties. Would be a great fit beside Monahan and Gaudreau.
Plus there's still a chance McPhee would want prospects over more picks.

Adding another 30 goal scorer would be a huge get for this hockey team. Ferland it doesn't matter where you play him in the lineup, he's either bringing it or he's not. If the cost is too much just phone up Jarome and trot em out for the PP ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->