Armchair Gm Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Watching Bruins-Rangers game. Don’t care for either team but sure like the grit and toughness each team plays with! Wish the Preds had players that played that way!
I remember thinking this in the play-ins last year especially too. Watching other teams play eachother through the playoffs, it was like, WOW, that's how other teams play hockey??!?!?!? And so I'm not convinced we still don't have a "Country Club" effect in play. We don't play like a lot of other teams. We do have talent, I might be wrong about that, but I still feel like we do. But we don't play hockey like "real" teams do.
:dunno:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
On the 31 thoughts Friedman floated the idea that the decision whether we try to make a push or start consider about selling is nearing. He said there would be interest on Granlund and Haula. Cousins as well, if we decided to move on from him already.

He added that the decision on Duchene & Johansen is probably done in the summer, but thinks they will be both be available in the off-season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
On the 31 thoughts Friedman floated the idea that the decision whether we try to make a push or start consider about selling is nearing. He said there would be interest on Granlund and Haula. Cousins as well, if we decided to move on from him already.

He added that the decision on Duchene & Johansen is probably done in the summer, but thinks they will be both be available in the off-season.
I would take anything I could get for Haula and Cousins, basically. Anything is a plus. They are replaceable with random UFAs anytime we ever felt a need for that kind of generic depth, but more ideally I'd rather just play younger players in their spots.

I'd like to get a better pick for Granlund. I just wonder how many teams really have cap room, or might ask us to retain to help fit him? And then if we retain $1M on him, well, I think management would rather have a 5th round pick and not retain $1M than a 2nd round pick but have to pay $1M? In this no-revenue year. So that worries me a little. I mean, it'd be really nice to get a 1st for him. But teams will almost surely ask for some retention?

I don't think there needs to be any real overthinking on Johansen and Duchene. If anybody will trade for one as a positive-value asset, then great, let's do that. But assuming that's not happening, it really takes the "decision" out of our hands. It's not like we're going to buy out those crazy contracts. So you give Seattle first krak at taking one off our hands, and then when they don't you really just have to wait until next year, keep playing Johansen and Duchene and see if they recoup any asset value, rinse and repeat.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Duchenes contract could be next level bad in about 2 years. Like, untradeable without gutting yourself bad. It's possible he improves with a new system, but I think there's a huge disparity in possible outcomes with him specifically. I feel more confident in Johansen giving us something going forward. I think we pony up and see what it takes to get Seattle to bite on Duchene.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Duchenes contract could be next level bad in about 2 years. Like, untradeable without gutting yourself bad. It's possible he improves with a new system, but I think there's a huge disparity in possible outcomes with him specifically. I feel more confident in Johansen giving us something going forward. I think we pony up and see what it takes to get Seattle to bite on Duchene.

Agreed completely. Especially, if the choice was between Duchene and Johansen, I wouldn't hesitate for a second exposing Duchene.

I would rather get out of the Duchene contract now before it comes even a bigger problem (probably right around when we're building the team around Askarov and the new core).

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
One other interesting consideration for potentially moving Ekholm/Ellis is coming to a deal before the expansion draft but waiting to execute until after. Since we won't need most of our expansion slots we could get some better value by not making a team have to protect them if they trade for them.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
One other interesting consideration for potentially moving Ekholm/Ellis is coming to a deal before the expansion draft but waiting to execute until after. Since we won't need most of our expansion slots we could get some better value by not making a team have to protect them if they trade for them.
I'd assume a contender would prefer to have Ekholm for 2 playoff runs, if possible. If we wait til after the expansion draft, I wonder if we potentially lose value in a trade.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Here's I rank the players:

Tier I: Make an offer, you most likely will get them.

upload_2021-2-17_20-24-52.png

Tier II: You want them, PAY! Oh, it hurts, good!

upload_2021-2-17_20-25-46.png

Tier III: Oldies but goodies.

upload_2021-2-17_20-26-22.png

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Question from a Sens fan: if Duchene is made available in the summer, do you think Nashville would be willing to retain salary ($1-$1.5M per season)?

Duchene is certainly a risk, but his arguably best season was in Ottawa, he enjoyed playing here as it's a short drive to his hometown, and Dorion loves him.

We probably couldn't take him on at $8M, but at $6.75? I bet Dorion would bite. You'd probably even get some value back in terms of picks/prospects.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Question from a Sens fan: if Duchene is made available in the summer, do you think Nashville would be willing to retain salary ($1-$1.5M per season)?

Duchene is certainly a risk, but his arguably best season was in Ottawa, he enjoyed playing here as it's a short drive to his hometown, and Dorion loves him.

We probably couldn't take him on at $8M, but at $6.75? I bet Dorion would bite. You'd probably even get some value back in terms of picks/prospects.

Hard to know really...I guess it would depend on what you are offering.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

I'd rather try to make a deal with Seattle to take him, I don't want to anchor us into Turris AND Duchene for the next multiple years.

However, I do realize that is not going to be cheap, so I would be willing to listen on a deal for Duchene retained.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Interesting stuff on this Fourth Period Report:

"When news spread that the Nashville Predators were willing to listen to just about everybody on their roster, many were surprised that list included left wing Filip Forsberg."

"Teams will be lining up for Forsberg – the Bruins, Montreal Canadiens, Philadelphia Flyers, Calgary Flames and New York Islanders will all inquire if they haven’t already done so – and I’m curious what the Predators will want in return. Does GM David Poile require a young, proven NHL talent in a deal, or will he go the futures package route?

And perhaps more importantly, if a trade takes place after the season, will Poile be the one doing the negotiations? Whispers are slowly getting louder that Poile will seek a new General Manager to run the ship while he remains with the club in his President of Hockey Operations role."

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Interesting stuff on this Fourth Period Report:

"When news spread that the Nashville Predators were willing to listen to just about everybody on their roster, many were surprised that list included left wing Filip Forsberg."

"Teams will be lining up for Forsberg – the Bruins, Montreal Canadiens, Philadelphia Flyers, Calgary Flames and New York Islanders will all inquire if they haven’t already done so – and I’m curious what the Predators will want in return. Does GM David Poile require a young, proven NHL talent in a deal, or will he go the futures package route?

And perhaps more importantly, if a trade takes place after the season, will Poile be the one doing the negotiations? Whispers are slowly getting louder that Poile will seek a new General Manager to run the ship while he remains with the club in his President of Hockey Operations role."

OTF is gonna need to update this article...

Meet Brian Poile, the Nashville Predators' new Director of Hockey Operations

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
So, scouts were saying the 2021 was not deep and really didn't have a ton of talent BEFORE COVID. trade for ALL the 2022's

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
So, scouts were saying the 2021 was not deep and really didn't have a ton of talent BEFORE COVID. trade for ALL the 2022's

Pronman, who obviously isn't a professional scout, says 2021 is certainly weak at the top but overall the class in its entirety isn't much different than most other years. He basically says year to year is generally similar with the top 15% of the draft dictating if a draft is "good" or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legionnaire11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->