Armchair Gm Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Tomasino will have a chance to make it as well and who knows what some of the other young guys will bring to camp.

For sure, that was just my view of the situation. If we sign a big-ticket UFA forward I can't see a fit for Tomasino, I think he's better off spending one more year in the Juniors and we're better off having a more complete player like Tolvanen or Pitlick in the lineup.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Should we make an official Free Agency thread? Could talk about also other signings as well. This has the potential to be a wild day

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
The trajectory of this season is looking rough.

On the plus side, we have a bunch of players who we could trade at the deadline.

I would be fine with trading anyone not named Arvidsson, Forsberg, Fabbro, Ellis, Saros, Rinne, Josi, or a prospect. I doubt anyone will want to take on Joey or Duchene even if we wanted to get rid of them. Ekholm and Granlund are the toughest decisions, IMO.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The trajectory of this season is looking rough.

On the plus side, we have a bunch of players who we could trade at the deadline.

I would be fine with trading anyone not named Arvidsson, Forsberg, Fabbro, Ellis, Saros, Rinne, Josi, or a prospect. I doubt anyone will want to take on Joey or Duchene even if we wanted to get rid of them. Ekholm and Granlund are the toughest decisions, IMO.
Depending on how things shape up I'd probably be ok with Granlund coming back, but not at any overpayment and also after we've traded him for some assets at the deadline (and don't have to protect him in the ED).

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe that's really what the team needs? A season where they incontrovertibly suck, and there is no more denying it? I feel like for the last couple years they've always had excuses, and everywhere in the lineup, behind the bench, the same refrain is always echoed: we're playing well, we're just not getting the breaks, we're right there with the other team, there was a bad bounce, there was a bad call, we're getting lots of shots and chances, we should be doing a lot better, yada, yada, yada. It's like they still don't realize that they simply suck.

Maybe if they finish in the bottom 3 or 4 of the league they won't be able to fool themselves anymore and it will provide a wakeup call?
:dunno:

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Maybe that's really what the team needs? A season where they incontrovertibly suck, and there is no more denying it? I feel like for the last couple years they've always had excuses, and everywhere in the lineup, behind the bench, the same refrain is always echoed: we're playing well, we're just not getting the breaks, we're right there with the other team, there was a bad bounce, there was a bad call, we're getting lots of shots and chances, we should be doing a lot better, yada, yada, yada. It's like they still don't realize that they simply suck.

Maybe if they finish in the bottom 3 or 4 of the league they won't be able to fool themselves anymore and it will provide a wakeup call?
:dunno:
I doubt it. There was really not much impact when they drafted Jones in the top 5. Starting in 2017 the team was 42-29-12 without loser points basically a .500 team. Pekka gets hot and they go to the finals. Last year they were 35-26-8 again right at .500 and as you point out excuses galore. When it was a declining team that was the issue and a GM making wrong moves to try to just hang on for one more playoff appearance. Now the team is a shell of 4th liners with three bloated forward contracts a defense that is no longer in the top 5 and the goalie situation dire.

The only thing that will change this is the fans. As long as they keep rewarding the organization with there dollars not much will change. There are a small and growing group of the hardcore base but the casual fan is what fills that building and as long as Poile has kept hope alive for a playoff they continue to come it dropped some last year and there is no way of taking a position on the fan reaction now with Covid. But there is change in the wind when covid is over it will be interesting to see if there is enough $$$ support from tickets and concessions. Remember last year this team lost 9 mil and they will lose close to 50 mil this year if predictions hold true. In October if this team is not drastically changed the organization is going to be in trouble.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I doubt it. There was really not much impact when they drafted Jones in the top 5. Starting in 2017 the team was 42-29-12 without loser points basically a .500 team. Pekka gets hot and they go to the finals. Last year they were 35-26-8 again right at .500 and as you point out excuses galore. When it was a declining team that was the issue and a GM making wrong moves to try to just hang on for one more playoff appearance. Now the team is a shell of 4th liners with three bloated forward contracts a defense that is no longer in the top 5 and the goalie situation dire.

The only thing that will change this is the fans. As long as they keep rewarding the organization with there dollars not much will change. There are a small and growing group of the hardcore base but the casual fan is what fills that building and as long as Poile has kept hope alive for a playoff they continue to come it dropped some last year and there is no way of taking a position on the fan reaction now with Covid. But there is change in the wind when covid is over it will be interesting to see if there is enough $$$ support from tickets and concessions. Remember last year this team lost 9 mil and they will lose close to 50 mil this year if predictions hold true. In October if this team is not drastically changed the organization is going to be in trouble.
Casual fan isn't filling the building anymore, it's mostly corporate.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Well he got New Jersey TWO #1 overall picks in 4 years, so that's pretty good success. You don't get #1 overall very often, let alone twice like that. So we may have just the right guy for the job in that area.

and of course #1 will be a d-man in the University of Michigan...

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
I'm pretty sure Poile's wet dream is to draft a defenseman #1 overall.

God forbid we get #1 overall in 2022. How could he pass on Shane Wright?

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm pretty sure Poile's wet dream is to draft a defenseman #1 overall.

God forbid we get #1 overall in 2022. How could he pass on Shane Wright?
Imagine if they just bump the draft instead. Well, it has sometimes been talked about anyway. That would be just our luck. Good lottery odds to #1 this year, but the draft gets bumped, and we only finish like 12th-last next year, so our averaged lottery ticket for 2022 isn't so hot anymore. With a merged 2022 draft I guess there are good players going even later all through it, though. But still. :ha:

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Imagine if they just bump the draft instead. Well, it has sometimes been talked about anyway. That would be just our luck. Good lottery odds to #1 this year, but the draft gets bumped, and we only finish like 12th-last next year, so our averaged lottery ticket for 2022 isn't so hot anymore. With a merged 2022 draft I guess there are good players going even later all through it, though. But still. :ha:

Maybe I've misunderstood, but I thought that if the draft this year is delayed it would just be pushed over and all the picks would be the same.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe I've misunderstood, but I thought that if the draft this year is delayed it would just be pushed over and all the picks would be the same.
There have been several scenarios discussed. Could be just delayed. Or could be bumped and merged with 2o22. Or all drafts could be pushed a year. Or could just happen as usual of course. My main point is: whatever the worse scenario is for us, that's gotta be the one that transpires. :)

Reactions: GoldOnGold

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
First, it's 'American Thanksgiving' in the season. This is a time to determine if this team is crap. Yes, this team played the hardest schedule BUT they looked like crap vs TB and Dal. If you can't beat these teams, you are not a cup contender. You have to play within the division for the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. That means you have to find a way around TB or Dallas. Unless the Preds pull a STL Blues type run, nope. Also does Poile make the moves or someone else? Is Hynes the coach. If you fire UP Poile, his son will stay in the mix. I am not a fan of 3rd generation executives. Too much xerox effect. Hynes is gone, only one year left

So, plan for the deadline on the 24th. Yes Feb 24th. 2 weeks away. FAs next year; Granlund, Haula, Tinordi, Pekka, Richardson, Sbisa, Kaskisuo. FAs in 2 years; Forsberg, Rocco, Hook, Cousins, Ekholm, Borocop, Benning, Cap space might be interesting as an assets.

Now, let's think about the trade deadline; do you FULLY blow it up, or tinker down? I'm a tinker down guy. Make a few moves to cut some fat and asset management. (I have a rule of -5 years on the age of goalies, -3 for defensemen because of the length of development.) Goal is young even with a Rinne retirement and Seattle goalie pick.

Defenseman: They are in prime but Ekholm will be VERY expensive in 2 yrs. Fabbro is still an RFA. Best prospects in system is Davies and Carrier. Dman pipeline is very thin. This year's draft will fix this.

forwards *sigh*; Where do we begin? Duchene makes Joey redundant. I would trade Joey and if not, expose him at the draft. RV needs less TOI/G. Also, does the team continue to overripen prospects in Milwaukee?

Situation analysis: Unless this team goes on an epic win streak all the way up to the trade deadline, sell as best you can. Get value for Ekholm or Joey. IF someone needs a #2 C that can play some #1, Joey is the offer. If there is an insane offer for Ekholm, you keep Joey and prep for 7/3/1 at the expansion draft. Keep Poile and Hynes till the end of the season. The record sucks anyway and they are keeping the team goal of sell and get a good pick. Preds have 7 picks currently and my hope is 3 more. End of season, find a long term coach and build around them. Unless Galant or Gronburg (HC of Zurich) plops into your lap then build around them like they did with Trotz.

My best situation: Poile retires, Hynes goes good bye, Preds shake up the coaching carousel and lures Gronburg to Tennessee. Build the team around Gronburg. Rikard Gronborg on hybrid coaching and the rise of Swedish hockey (VIDEO) Gronburg seems like a defensive communicator. give me that.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The trade deadline is April 12th this season.
While I suspect there won't be a lot of movement at this year's deadline, I would also suspect that any moves teams make, they might want to make a bit sooner than usual? Or maybe the way things are declining the quarantine situation won't be quite the same in 2 months. Still, I doubt anybody wants to trade for a player and then wait 2 more weeks for them?

Anyway, if we don't turn things around, then we can't miss out this year. Trade Granlund, Haula, Richardson for anything you can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad