Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Long long journey through the darkness, where is our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Goalie and #1 RD are the two biggest holes on the team at the moment. I hope treliving does have one more trick up his sleeve at least.

There also isn’t really room (or need) for both Bennett and janko up front anymore. Add them to one of our d prospects and maybe we can grab something pretty good.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Willing to give Brodie the benefit of the doubt as 1RD. He's done it in the past.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Goalie and #1 RD are the two biggest holes on the team at the moment. I hope treliving does have one more trick up his sleeve at least.

There also isn’t really room (or need) for both Bennett and janko up front anymore. Add them to one of our d prospects and maybe we can grab something pretty good.

Yeah there is, it is called forward depth. Also both of these players have huge potential and could/should explode this year.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah there is, it is called forward depth. Also both of these players have huge potential and could/should explode this year.
We still should have forward depth in mangiapane, foo, and whomever is left of the two. I heartily disagree with the potential though. We’ve been told this year after year and neither seemed very close at all last season. Both given ample opportunity to produce in sheltered minutes and not coming up with anything respectable.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We still should have forward depth in mangiapane, foo, and whomever is left of the two. I heartily disagree with the potential though. We’ve been told this year after year and neither seemed very close at all last season. Both given ample opportunity to produce in sheltered minutes and not coming up with anything respectable.

We should, but looking at our history we will play Quine, Hathaway, Lazar, [insert scrub who brings “defence and character”]

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
We should, but looking at our history we will play Quine, Hathaway, Lazar, [insert scrub who brings “defence and character”]

I mean Jank is all but guarenteed 4th line centre, and unless Czarnik is injured or busts, he'll probably be the 4th line RW since he was given a one way contract. Whoever is the best LW out of Klimchuk, Lazar, or Mang probably gets the spot (doubt Dube is in the NHL this year).

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I am obviously joking. But we do have a history of some pretty horrendous bottom 6s/4th lines. We almost choose to be bad

Yeah, like putting Tanner Glass in the lineup over Jankowski...

I really hope Peters doesn't decide to have a veteran man crash and block a promising prospect as a result just to add grit and effort or whatever.

Reactions: snipetype

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Yeah, like putting Tanner Glass in the lineup over Jankowski...

I really hope Peters doesn't decide to have a veteran man crash and block a promising prospect as a result just to add grit and effort or whatever.

Judging from the way he ran the Hurricanes, I think we don't have much to worry about.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Judging from the way he ran the Hurricanes, I think we don't have much to worry about.

Its good to know one of our assistant coaches is from stockton. I'm sure he'll have some say in who stays around, and hopefully that means we see more younger guys (tst tst Andersson for example) making the lineup.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
If we cab get Joonas Korpisalo out of Columbus, I think that would be great. Couple of years back Joonas Korpisalo and Saros were on the same level.

I think Brad Trevling has shown that he is on the right goaltenders(Matt Murray, Frederick Anderson, Cam Talbot), if we can get someone like Joonas Korpisalo on the cheap he can turn into Miikka Kiprusoff.

Question for all you good folks, Brad Trevling saw how the team unraveled after the Mike Smith injury, how much comfortable is he going into the season with the same situation (with Mike Smith is a year older)?

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
If we cab get Joonas Korpisalo out of Columbus, I think that would be great. Couple of years back Joonas Korpisalo and Saros were on the same level.

I think Brad Trevling has shown that he is on the right goaltenders(Matt Murray, Frederick Anderson, Cam Talbot), if we can get someone like Joonas Korpisalo on the cheap he can turn into Miikka Kiprusoff.

Question for all you good folks, Brad Trevling saw how the team unraveled after the Mike Smith injury, how much comfortable is he going into the season with the same situation (with Mike Smith is a year older)?
I'm not going to share my opinions on Korpisalo, but there is no way the Blue Jackets move him since they have gambled so heavily on him being the goalie of the future.

As for your question, I don't think Treliving is any more worried about Smith than he was going into last year. Only difference is, he might be more willing, or able (due to having assets now), to make a move if Smith does go down again. Also, SMith may be a year older, but so are Gillies and Rittich and last season despite them struggling when Smith was out, gained some very valuable experience in the NHL, so they will be better prepared this season. I think expecting them to come back the same and not show some improvement, is unfair to them.

I also think that Rittich will get more games this year, to keep Smith rested. That was a mistake Gulutzan made last year IMO, he never gave Rittich (or Lack) a chance to keep Smith rested. Perhaps if Gully had given Lack a shot, he may not have flamed out (no pun intended) as quickly as he did. Lack never got his first start until the 10th game of the season and didn't get his 2nd until the 18th. Smith was hurt at the end of the 56th game and we had only started our backup 7 times (Rittich got 5 starts, Lack 2). Despite missing 13 games due to injury, Smith was still 16th in minutes played, which is way too many minutes.

I think the Flames need to sit Smith once every 5 games or so and 1 of every back to back this coming season and if they do that, it will help his durability. I would even implement a plan to start the backups on specific dates allowing him maximum rest (while taking opponents into account).

If it were up to me, what I would do is the following (in brackets are notes regarding B2Bs and how many days off Smith gets without playing a game):

Game 1: Smith
Game 2 ( v. VAN): Rittich (5 days off) - I think this is good early because of China
Games 3-8: Smith
Game 9 (@ MTL): Rittich (3 days off)
Games 10-12: Smith
Game 13 (@ BUF): Rittich (2nd of B2Bs, 2 days off)
Games 14-17: Smith
Game 18 (@ SJS): Rittich (2nd of B2Bs, 5 days off) - 1st on B2B is LAK
Games 19-23: Smith
Game 24 (@ ARZ): Rittich (4 days off)
Games 25-29: Smith
Game 30 (v. NSH): Rittich (1st of B2Bs, 2 days off) - 2nd of B2Bs is EDM
Games 31-32: Smith
Game 33 (@ MIN): Rittich (1st of B2Bs, 3 days off) - 2nd of B2Bs is STL
Games 34-37: Smith
Christmas Break - 4 days off
Games 38-40: Smith
Game 41 (@ DET): Rittich (1st of B2Bs, 2 days off) - 2nd of B2Bs is BOS
Games 42-48: Smith
Game 49 (v. DET): Rittich (2 days off, 1st of B2Bs) - 2nd of B2Bs is EDM
Games 50-51: Smith
All-Star Break & Mandatory 5 day break - 9 days off
Games 52-54: Smith
Game 55 (@ VAN): Rittich (4 days off) - 1st game of 4 game road trip, other 3 games on east coast
Games 56-63: Smith
Game 64 (@ NJD): Rittich (2nd of B2Bs, 3 days off) - 1st of B2Bs is NYI
Games 65-67: Smith
Game 68 (@ ARZ): Rittich (2nd of B2Bs, 3 days off) - 1st of B2Bs is VGK
Games 69-70: Smith
Game 71 (v. NYR): Rittich (1st of B2Bs, 3 days off) - 2nd of B2Bs is WPG
Games 72-74: Smith
Game 75 (@ VAN): Rittich (3 days off) - Smith could play, depending on playoff race
Games 76-80: Smith (this includes a SJS/LAK road B2B) - Rittich could play, depending on playoff race
Game 81 (@ AHM): Rittich (4 days off) - Smith could play, depending on playoff race
Game 82: Depends on playoff race.

Even this would see Smith play 65-69 games, so ideally I would need to find another 5 games or so to get Rittich some starts.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
According to the reddit Flames insider, we've inquired about William Nylander

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
We don't need nylander tbh, and we can't afford giving up another top 4 d-man without having a significant hole in our lineup. Also have no clue how we are gonna fit his 6 million+ contract into our team unless we trade someone out.

I would've been fine with Hamilton for Nylander and a first at the draft, but that's long passed.

If I had to guess a decent ask, probably Andersson, Bennett, and a protected 1st. You could also swap andersson with hamonic if the leafs want someone more proven (and would probably need to be for Calgary to work out the cap).

Projected lines with nylander:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Nylander
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm
Frolik-Ryan-Neal
Mangiapane-Jank-Czarnik

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Kulak-Stone
Prout

Smith
Rittich

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
We don't need nylander tbh, and we can't afford giving up another top 4 d-man without having a significant hole in our lineup. Also have no clue how we are gonna fit his 6 million+ contract into our team unless we trade someone out.

I would've been fine with Hamilton for Nylander and a first at the draft, but that's long passed.

If I had to guess a decent ask, probably Andersson, Bennett, and a protected 1st. You could also swap andersson with hamonic if the leafs want someone more proven (and would probably need to be for Calgary to work out the cap).

Projected lines with nylander:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Nylander
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm
Frolik-Ryan-Neal
Mangiapane-Jank-Czarnik

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Kulak-Stone
Prout

Smith
Rittich

It'll be crazy how we go from having a bottom 15 forward group to easily top 10 and possibly even top 5 if everyone clicks there. But we also went from having the best RHD depth in the league to pretty mediocre. I guess you gotta give to get.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It'll be crazy how we go from having a bottom 15 forward group to easily top 10 and possibly even top 5 if everyone clicks there. But we also went from having the best RHD depth in the league to pretty mediocre. I guess you gotta give to get.

Our 3rd line rw would be better than our 1st line rw from last season. Insane amounts of depth, and if Andersson can develop well isn't a bad blueline either (or just keep hamonic instead).

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
According to the reddit Flames insider, we've inquired about William Nylander

I can't see how that makes sense at all because the reason the Leafs would trade him, salary, would be an issue for us as well. Although I guess "inquired about" is a pretty vague statement.

I remember a lot of talk that at the draft many of the Leafs brass, Babcock included, wanted Hanifin and that it was Hunter that was pushing for Marner so maybe a deal around Hanifin for Nylander, but I don't see how that works for us as that leaves a giant sized hole on our defense and TO probably needs a RHS d more than LHS.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I can't see how that makes sense at all because the reason the Leafs would trade him, salary, would be an issue for us as well. Although I guess "inquired about" is a pretty vague statement.

I remember a lot of talk that at the draft many of the Leafs brass, Babcock included, wanted Hanifin and that it was Hunter that was pushing for Marner so maybe a deal around Hanifin for Nylander, but I don't see how that works for us as that leaves a giant sized hole on our defense and TO probably needs a RHS d more than LHS.

I suggested Bennett, hamonic, and a 1st rounder but that doesn't seem to be enough. Toronto doesn't need another lhd, so idk why theyd want hanifin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->