Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Long long journey through the darkness, where is our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not to mention he'll most likely be a regular on at least one of the PP units for his shot, said talent being wasted under the previous administration.
It's unlikely he gets much PP time IMO but that is very much because of our off-seasob acquisitions.

I'm pretty positive that our top unit will be 4 forwards (13, 18, 23 & 28) and 1 defenseman (5).

Our second unit is definitely more up in the air but I think 3 forwards (11, 19, 27) are locked in to start the year. I also think 1 defenseman (55) is locked in. Leaving several bodies, both F (77, 93) and D (7, 26) to fight for spots. Personally, I'm hoping Bennett can take that spot and run with it, but I think it's Brodie's to lose.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
This could be the most I’ve laughed in awhile, thanks.

I’ve never said we have cap problems, but yeah, we have cap trouble.

You must live a bleak life then.

So because I haven’t said we’ve had salary cap issues in the past, I can’t say we are going to have salary cap issues in the future? Makes sense.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You must live a bleak life then.

So because I haven’t said we’ve had salary cap issues in the past, I can’t say we are going to have salary cap issues in the future? Makes sense.
You always complain about the cap, what are you talking about? You always parrot the same garbage every year about how we are in cap trouble next year. Then it doesn't happen. You're CFHFs version of the boy who cried wolf

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Kulak-Hamonic spent slightly more time together and produced significantly better results than Stone-Hamonic. Neither pairing was as good as Brodie-Hamonic, which was still slightly below par as Brodie is a RD not a LD.

Anyone banking on Mike Stone to play a top 4 role in case of injury is banking on the same kind of crazy convenient luck that allowed Matt Bartkowski to play on this team two seasons ago. The dice could roll that way, but it's a terrible, terrible plan.

If Hamonic or Brodie get injured on the right side, I want Andersson up there in the top 4.
If Giordano or Hanifin get injured, I want Kulak or Kylington up there in the top 4.

If we have to see Stone in our top four for any more than spot minutes in case of injuries, it will be unfortunate. I like Stone, I just see him for what he is - a #6 defenseman who can kill a penalty and shoot really hard. We have seven guys that should see big ES minutes ahead of him. Maybe even eight if Valimaki has a great first pro season.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
You always complain about the cap, what are you talking about? You always parrot the same garbage every year about how we are in cap trouble next year. Then it doesn't happen. You're CFHFs version of the boy who cried wolf

Care to provide an example?

The only time we’ve ever been in cap trouble is when we acquired Elliot because we didn’t really have the space to get anyone else.

But classic 100 thirds graders/method man etc., classic money Monahan too.

Make it personal. Something I allegedly said in the past. Neglect trying to poke a hole in my current argument and go attack my credibility because either a) you didn’t understand my argument or b) didn’t have anything smart to say. Classic. It’s how you operate on this board and its why you’ve had to go through six name changes. I disagree with a lot of your two opinions. But you guys get sooo offended that I have a different opinion and make it personal. Every damn time. Get over it.

I have always disliked our Free Agent classes. And i have always warned what a big ticket FA could do if they were signed past Dougie/Gaudreau. But to say I have said we were currently in cap trouble, before next year, is an outright lie.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Nothing said was personal, I don’t see how it could be taken that way either. It got personal when you brought up my “bleak” life.

In fact, I did provide a counter argument, too. So that is a blatantly false accusation.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Stone is a trash donkey, he is awful. He has no shot because it takes him 9 seconds to get it off and it isn't very accurate anyway (hi shin pads or 2 feet wide). He gets walked around constantly, he takes holding penalties constantly because he can't defend and gets caught constantly, he doesn't box shit out of the front of the net (thank you for that Anaheim series OT winner against you goof), he never uses his stick to defend just like Bartkowski never did, he gets lost in the d-zone trying to play catch up, has no outlet pass.

Let's put this f*** muppet into our lineup who will only continue to get worse and be terrible over a rookie who will make the occasional mistake (I guarantee Stone makes more than any rookie would) but said rookie has huge potential to grow and excel. No thanks, I'll take a 7th rounder for Stone at this point. Him being used as a fail safe is hilarious when he is trash and can't play in the modern NHL, any one of Kylington, Andersson, Vali or Kulak are a better fail safe than that clown.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The one thing I know is, I don’t think any of our dmen played up to their potential under Gully including Stone. I expect him to look better next season, he was quite good in AZ before his knee injury.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Nothing said was personal, I don’t see how it could be taken that way either. It got personal when you brought up my “bleak” life.

In fact, I did provide a counter argument, too. So that is a blatantly false accusation.

Personal is maybe the wrong word. But I do think you and Method bring up my past a lot when it is completely irrelevant or even fabricated. I feel both of you guys just seem to respond with passive aggressive attack when you do post. I’m outspoken. And I disagree with a lot of posters, I get that. But those disagreements never seem to turn into anything more than differing opinions. But with you and meth there seems to be a toxic tone every time you guys respond to one of my posts. That is where I feel it is personal. So hopefully, we can put our pasts in the past and talk in a less dramatic and more reasonable tone in the future (and I realize I am clearly at fault of this too). Or if our pride and egos are too bruised, at least not post passive aggressive crap to each other that no one wants to read

And I do understand your argument. Stone provides depth and experience and is a guy who can fill in. And I get that, it’s a valid argument. I’m not trying to march the guy out of town (like Brouwer) but I do think he is probably the piece to go, all things considered. And I don’t want to get stuck in a situation where we are dealing from a position of weakness.

Reactions: MonyontheMoney

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Personal is maybe the wrong word. But I do think you and Method bring up my past a lot when it is completely irrelevant or even fabricated.
The irony, considering you do this more than anyone, especially fabricating, you twist and manipulate things regarding me all the damn time.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
There is serious risk that another weak season from Stone could make him unmovable in his final contract season. Trading him now might be "selling high" as he's not as far-removed from Brodie propping him up a few years ago.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
My issue with Stone is less that he's a poor defender or that he's some major cap liability and more I just think he's redundant. Would rather see a younger player(Rasmus Andersson) with more potential get those 10-14 minutes a night. Stone is a known quantity at this point, maybe he has a better season and they can flip him at the deadline for a draft pick or two to a team needing some blue line depth.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My issue with Stone is less that he's a poor defender or that he's some major cap liability and more I just think he's redundant. Would rather see a younger player(Rasmus Andersson) with more potential get those 10-14 minutes a night. Stone is a known quantity at this point, maybe he has a better season and they can flip him at the deadline for a draft pick or two to a team needing some blue line depth.
Or he can play the left side and Kulak can be the #7.

Also, let's hope we aren't moving anyone at the deadline, because if we are, it means we're not a playoff team

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Or he can play the left side and Kulak can be the #7.

Probably the most likely scenario.

Also, let's hope we aren't moving anyone at the deadline, because if we are, it means we're not a playoff team

Not necessarily, if the youth the Flames have back there outperform Stone they can definitely entertain trades for him. They traded Glencross in 2015.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Probably the most likely scenario.

Not necessarily, if the youth the Flames have back there outperform Stone they can definitely entertain trades for him. They traded Glencross in 2015.
Eh, I think Glencross was a different situation. First he was a pending UFA, Stone is not. Because of that, Curtis had no value after the deadline, where as Stone could still be moved at the draft because teams are always looking for RHD that can play heavy minutes. Another thing is that we were still rebuilding at that point in time, now we have greater desires than just qualifying for the playoffs. Also, positionally speaking, having defensive depth is vital for the playoffs, more so than with forwards because if a game goes to OT, you want a guy that can increase their minutes.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I don't mind Stoney at all in a bottom pair role. Him and Kulak were the best bottom pairing this team's had for a decade. Stone was good playing as Brodie's support as well, to be honest.

I like having a guy like that on the team. Professional, you know what you get. Optimal bottom pair guy (doesn't hurt you and can provide some use, a la PK). I understand the known commodity vs unknown commodity debate, for me, Stone's a guy who's job should be on the line come training camp. Independent of what you have in him, if Andersson, Kulak, Kylington or Valimaki outplay him, they should be in and Stone should be out.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Eh, I think Glencross was a different situation. First he was a pending UFA, Stone is not. Because of that, Curtis had no value after the deadline, where as Stone could still be moved at the draft because teams are always looking for RHD that can play heavy minutes. Another thing is that we were still rebuilding at that point in time, now we have greater desires than just qualifying for the playoffs. Also, positionally speaking, having defensive depth is vital for the playoffs, more so than with forwards because if a game goes to OT, you want a guy that can increase their minutes.

Yes it was a different situation, just pointing out there are exceptions to that rule of playoff teams never trading roster players at the deadline. Even players with some term left. Just think you could potentially get more for him there compared to at the draft. At the same time I do see where you're coming from in regards to Stone being an insurance policy, I was more a proponent of him being traded before the Hamilton trade than I am now for the record. If you have a team like Toronto offering up a 2nd sometime in the season you should jump on it. The Flames have built some good depth on the blueline prospect wise, if you can take advantage of that fact and those rookies look decent in the NHL then I wouldn't hang on to Stone just because.

I don't mind Stoney at all in a bottom pair role. Him and Kulak were the best bottom pairing this team's had for a decade. Stone was good playing as Brodie's support as well, to be honest.

I like having a guy like that on the team. Professional, you know what you get. Optimal bottom pair guy (doesn't hurt you and can provide some use, a la PK). I understand the known commodity vs unknown commodity debate, for me, Stone's a guy who's job should be on the line come training camp. Independent of what you have in him, if Andersson, Kulak, Kylington or Valimaki outplay him, they should be in and Stone should be out.

Neither do I, think he gets unjustly criticized here a little too often. Thought he provided roughly 3.5 million worth of defense last year, plus or minus anyways. Plenty of worse guys making more. As for his job being on the line, as much as we want to see that kind of meritocracy it just doesn't happen, at least not with this team. Maybe Peters will be different but Stone is on a multi million veteran contract so I suspect he'll be getting priority for a roster spot. Just kind of the way it is. Not going to lament too much if it's him on the left and Andersson on the right, think it would give him some more opportunity to get his shot off and be a bit more active in the OZ.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So uhhh... when is Hanifin gonna be signed?
EY1BMDz.jpg

Reactions: Las Llamas

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
So uhhh... when is Hanifin gonna be signed?

Does anyone else get the feeling that the reason that Hanifin is not signed is because there is something going on trade wise?(maybe something with the goaltending, this does mean that Hanifin is getting moved but more to do with cap reasons.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Does anyone else get the feeling that the reason that Hanifin is not signed is because there is something going on trade wise?(maybe something with the goaltending, this does mean that Hanifin is getting moved but more to do with cap reasons.
With Treliving's track record, not at all. Negotiations dragging long into August is the status quo.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Not even a little bit. I didn't expect any news until September.

Doesn't mean its impossible, I suppose.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Nah, I don’t see one occurring. Just isn’t a deal that necessarily has to be rushed. They have the rest of August to work something out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->