Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Long long journey through the darkness, where is our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Stone has the NTC so he may not be going anywhere

I could see Frolik gone after this season, depending on the need due to extensions. If we hadn't landed Neal he'd have played out his deal 100%, but now he's going to basically be a third line player for us. He's a good all around player and has a decent contract. He'd be easy to move if we had to.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Frolik seems to me a good trade candidate. His services will always be welcomed in the NHL; the guys a perfect middle 6 winger. That being said, as Tre said, you have to pay accordingly; and paying 4+M for your third line RW is steep.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
How much flexibility do we need to go long term with Hanifin? That’s why we bought out Brouwer. We’re good there.

Where would that 3.5 be used? A top 6RW? No we have two of those now. A backup goalie? Not for 3.5. Are we looking to upgrade D? No probably not.

There isn’t a single hole we need to fill that is more valuable than a #5D who can play up.

lol, I completely forgot we bought out Brouwer...wow, time to pass the pipe.

Reactions: MonyontheMoney

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think we should move on from Stone.

I think he’s a solid player but I don’t see a drop off in Andersson and we could use the space to get both Hanifin and Tkachuk on long term deals and not end up in a corner trying to find space for a Goalie next year.

A team like Buffalo could absolutely use a guy like Stone to solidify their 2nd/3rd pair. Their blue line depth is awful and with the Skinner trade they are clearly sending a message to be competitive.

If we could get something good for Frolik I’d consider that too. But I think he would be an awesome guy to have in the bottom 6.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I think we should move on from Stone.

I think he’s a solid player but I don’t see a drop off in Andersson and we could use the space to get both Hanifin and Tkachuk on long term deals and not end up in a corner trying to find space for a Goalie next year.

A team like Buffalo could absolutely use a guy like Stone to solidify their 2nd/3rd pair. Their blue line depth is awful and with the Skinner trade they are clearly sending a message to be competitive.

If we could get something good for Frolik I’d consider that too. But I think he would be an awesome guy to have in the bottom 6.
Stone can play the left side and is a clear upgrade on Kulak. So why not just play him with Andersson and make Kulak the #7? We keep our top 4 insurance policy in Stone and we (most likely) upgrade our bottom pair, while significantly upgrading our depth defenseman from Bart to Kulak

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
So, I'm going to f*** around with the idea of landing Carey Price....

First things first... I think to make it work, there would have to be other other subsequent deals to shed salary/acquire assets to flip to the Habs, or a massive multi-team trade..... naturally I'm going to do the latter
GsJSEuc.gif

Calgary Flames acquire:
Carey Price @ 75% ($7,875,000)
David Schlemko ($2,100,000)
Josh Leivo ($925,000)​
Out: Smith, Frolik, Stone, Valimaki, Schneider, 1st in 2019
Cap: saves $1,150,000

Montreal Canadiens acquire:

Jake Allen ($4,350,000) - from STL
Juuso Valimaki ($894,166) - from CGY
Nick Schneider ($675,000) - from CGY
1st in 2019 (CGY) - from CGY
2nd in 2019 (NJD) - from NJD​
Out: Price, Schlemko, 3rd in 2019
Cap: saves $5,625,000 (less if Valimaki makes the team)

St. Louis Blues acquire:
Mike Smith ($4,250,000)
3rd in 2019 (MTL)​
Out: Allen
Cap: saves $100,000

New Jersey Devils acquire:
Michael Frolik ($4,300,000)​
Out: 2nd in 2019
Cap: adds $4,300,000

Toronto Maple Leafs acquire:
Michael Stone ($3,500,000)​
Out: Josh Leivo
cap: adds $2,575,000)

Flames Lineup afterwards:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Neal
Bennett - Jankowski - Ryan
Leivo - Czarnik - Foo
x: Lazar/Hathaway

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Schlemko - Andersson
x: Stone

Price
Gillies/Rittich

Yes, I know this is ridiculous, but it's all for fun.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Stone can play the left side and is a clear upgrade on Kulak. So why not just play him with Andersson and make Kulak the #7? We keep our top 4 insurance policy in Stone and we (most likely) upgrade our bottom pair, while significantly upgrading our depth defenseman from Bart to Kulak
He's not a clear upgrade on Kulak, because Stone is terrible. Both he and Kulak are flawed (hence being on the bottom pairing) but I'll take Kulak's flaws over Stone's uncanny ability to separate man from puck and then forget he's supposed to retrieve the puck any day. He seems to be yet another dman who gets way more credit than he deserves because he's got a couple of traditional dman tools (hard shot, physical player).

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
He's not a clear upgrade on Kulak, because Stone is terrible. Both he and Kulak are flawed (hence being on the bottom pairing) but I'll take Kulak's flaws over Stone's uncanny ability to separate man from puck and then forget he's supposed to retrieve the puck any day. He seems to be yet another dman who gets way more credit than he deserves because he's got a couple of traditional dman tools (hard shot, physical player).
He very easily a clear upgrade. He plays better in a top 4 role than Kulak does in sheltered 3rd pairing minutes. He's proved this, I don't know what you are watching when Stone is on the ice, but if you think he's not a clear upgrade, it's not the game.

Reactions: Skobel24

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
He seems to be yet another dman who gets way more credit than he deserves because he's got a couple of traditional dman tools (hard shot, physical player).

It’s funny because I would say the same/opposite about Kulak, he seems to be overrated because he doesn’t have the traditional demand tooks so people see him as the “modern” NHL defense man.

The problem is he doesn’t have skills to replace the traditional tools so just having a lack of physical play (or ability to play defense) or a good shot does not make you good or “modern.”

Stone may not do everything great but at least he does some things very well Kulak does nothing good and is overall pretty useless.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Did you read my post?

A) Kulak is cheaper- cap space for Tkachuk and Hanifin

B) Kulak was a rookie- as crazy as this sounds, I think he will improve with experience.

C) I don’t see Stone as a big upgrade over Kulak. Certainly not 3 or 4 times the player Kulak is

D) Comparing Kulak and Bartkowski is a joke. One can make a pass/one can’t. That’s kind of important in he modern game.

Honestly Kulak was pretty outstanding possession wise last year and his offence game really started to show in the last 15 games. But you’ve always criticized Kulak (ie last year when you said he’s at best a second pair AHL defencemen) so I don’t expect any less

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Did you read my post?

B) Kulak was a rookie- as crazy as this sounds, I think he will improve with experience.

C) I don’t see Stone as a big upgrade over Kulak. Certainly not 3 or 4 times the player Kulak is

D) Comparing Kulak and Bartkowski is a joke. One can make a pass/one can’t. That’s kind of important in he modern game.

Honestly Kulak was pretty outstanding possession wise last year and his offence game really started to show in the last 15 games. But you’ve always criticized Kulak (ie last year when you said he’s at best a second pair AHL defencemen) so I don’t expect any less
You can rattle on all you want. STONE IS GOING NOWHERE AND WILL PLAY NIGHTLY. He's the insurance policy for our top 4, it's pretty easy to understand.

Reactions: Skobel24

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Stone isn’t being dealt. Right or wrong, the Flames waived Kulak. He’s clearly the lowest on their totem pole with how they view things on the backend. Honestly I hope Kylington beats him out for the #6 spot. I’d love to see a Kylington and Andersson bottom pairing and have Stone play wherever and whenever needed due to injuries. Stone is going to get lots of top 4 minutes this season.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I just think we are a better team
With Andersson in over Stone. But I know there has always been a hesitation and fear amongst our management to give young guys that have deserved ample playing time, that time. So I wouldn’t be surprised if Rasmus doesn’t get the time he should. I would be a big fan of a third pairing of Valimaki-Andersson too. With Kulak the 7.

Also that bold made me laugh :laugh:

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Did you read my post?

Again, we have enough cap space to lock Hanifin up. Tkachuk’s new deal won’t kick in until next year, regardless of when he signs.

You always play up cap issues when there are none, or they are easily solved. Frolik or Stone (or both) will be moveable when we need the space.

Also, nobody compared Bartkowski to Kulak. That’s just you grasping at straws.

Reactions: Walk with Elias

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Again, we have enough cap space to lock Hanifin up. Tkachuk’s new deal won’t kick in until next year, regardless of when he signs.

You always play up cap issues when there are none, or they are easily solved. Frolik or Stone (or both) will be moveable when we need the space.

Also, nobody compared Bartkowski to Kulak. That’s just you grasping at straws.

When have I ever said we’ve had cap space problems?

Do I say we are stupid in FA? Yes. Every year. But there is a huge difference.

Next year, as it stands, we are in cap trouble. For me, it’s better to take a preemptive strike, rather than be in a position like Boston was a few years ago when they had to deal Hamilton/Seguin.

And, while it is a worse case scenario, I like to plan for the worst. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. And to me, our top priorities should be A) Hanifin deal B) Tkachuk deal C) goalie plan

Those are all higher priorities than a 3rd pairing guy who provides depth, when, IMO, we have that depth in a prpspect who is actually better than the veteran you, and a few others, are so set on keeping. But to each their own.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
It’s funny because I would say the same/opposite about Kulak, he seems to be overrated because he doesn’t have the traditional demand tooks so people see him as the “modern” NHL defense man.

The problem is he doesn’t have skills to replace the traditional tools so just having a lack of physical play (or ability to play defense) or a good shot does not make you good or “modern.”

Stone may not do everything great but at least he does some things very well Kulak does nothing good and is overall pretty useless.
I agree, they're both overrated by different groups of people, for opposite reasons. Stone has a handful of oldschool skills that make people think he's better than he is (physicality and shot), and Kulak has a handful of newschool skills that make people think he's better than he is (skating and passing). They're both bottom rotation guys, neither of whom should be in the top 4 of a competitive team. If you could combine them both into one guy you'd have a reasonably complete 2nd pairing dman, though.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I don't want Price. No guarantees he gets back to his dominance, he's on the wrong side of 30, makes way too much for way too long, injury risk.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
You can rattle on all you want. STONE IS GOING NOWHERE AND WILL PLAY NIGHTLY. He's the insurance policy for our top 4, it's pretty easy to understand.
Not to mention he'll most likely be a regular on at least one of the PP units for his shot, said talent being wasted under the previous administration.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
When have I ever said we’ve had cap space problems?

Do I say we are stupid in FA? Yes. Every year. But there is a huge difference.

Next year, as it stands, we are in cap trouble. For me, it’s better to take a preemptive strike, rather than be in a position like Boston was a few years ago when they had to deal Hamilton/Seguin.

And, while it is a worse case scenario, I like to plan for the worst. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. And to me, our top priorities should be A) Hanifin deal B) Tkachuk deal C) goalie plan

Those are all higher priorities than a 3rd pairing guy who provides depth, when, IMO, we have that depth in a prpspect who is actually better than the veteran you, and a few others, are so set on keeping. But to each their own.
This could be the most I’ve laughed in awhile, thanks.

I’ve never said we have cap problems, but yeah, we have cap trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->