Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Long long journey through the darkness, where is our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Okposo for Brouwer isn't worth it because Okposo makes 1.5 million more for 3 more years than Brouwer. Brouwer's 4.5 coming off the books will be very valuable in re-signing our current players. When Brouwer is due to come off the books, both Czarnik and Andersson are due for raises and if one both breakout that 4.5 million will be badly needed. ALso if we do buyout Brouwer after this season, that $3 million goes to re-signing Tkachuk.

Adding Okposo would be nothing short of poor cap management.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Okposo for Brouwer isn't worth it because Okposo makes 1.5 million more for 3 more years than Brouwer. Brouwer's 4.5 coming off the books will be very valuable in re-signing our current players. When Brouwer is due to come off the books, both Czarnik and Andersson are due for raises and if one both breakout that 4.5 million will be badly needed. ALso if we do buyout Brouwer after this season, that $3 million goes to re-signing Tkachuk.

Adding Okposo would be nothing short of poor cap management.

Unfortunately the cap just doesn’t work, you’re correct. It’s crazy, because Okposo would round out this team quite well; versus Brouwer who I believe won’t be a full timer this year.

Who knows though. Peters might be able to get something out him outside of terrible hockey. Just don’t see the fit anymore. They loaded up the right side this summer, with players that fit the new NHL model.

If anyone thinks we’re not going to play like Vegas this upcoming season, I’ve got some bad news for you!

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Unfortunately the cap just doesn’t work, you’re correct. It’s crazy, because Okposo would round out this team quite well; versus Brouwer who I believe won’t be a full timer this year.

Who knows though. Peters might be able to get something out him outside of terrible hockey. Just don’t see the fit anymore. They loaded up the right side this summer, with players that fit the new NHL model.

If anyone thinks we’re not going to play like Vegas this upcoming season, I’ve got some bad news for you!

Yeah, this forward group reminds me of Vegas from this past season with the new additions. We should be a high tempo team that excels at neutral zone transition. In addition, I'm expecting our defense to be active and joining the play more often then not. Guys like Brodie, Gio, Hanifin, and to a lesser extent Kulak, are solid skaters.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I know we'd love to magically stack the top nine even more, but I think any further improvements at this point will be internal. One of Czarnik, Dube, Mangiapane, Phillips (probably not this year is a safe bet), etc. making an impact offensively on the team. Plus of course any growth from Jankowski and Bennett.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah, this forward group reminds me of Vegas from this past season with the new additions. We should be a high tempo team that excels at neutral zone transition. In addition, I'm expecting our defense to be active and joining the play more often then not. Guys like Brodie, Gio, Hanifin, and to a lesser extent Kulak, are solid skaters.

We've got some great skating D.
Even Hammer, who's a defensive guy, isn't a bad skater.

Really only Stoney is kind a average mobility guy, but he's no anchor back there either.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
We've got some great skating D.
Even Hammer, who's a defensive guy, isn't a bad skater.

Really only Stoney is kind a average mobility guy, but he's no anchor back there either.

At this point I imagine they are keeping Stone around for depth. I just hope that if Andersson is truly better than Stone/Kulak he gets his shot. But nothing wrong with keeping depth around until you have need for cap space.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Kulak waived this morning; didn't see a future here for him anyways. I wonder if this makes Jankowski nervous- Tre is willing to play hardball with RFAs who provided questionable value last season. I still think we see janko traded.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Kulak waived this morning; didn't see a future here for him anyways. I wonder if this makes Jankowski nervous- Tre is willing to play hardball with RFAs who provided questionable value last season. I still think we see janko traded.

Absolutely no reason to trade Jankowski. Kulak is different since there are good D prospects coming up. Center prospects, not so much

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Absolutely no reason to trade Jankowski. Kulak is different since there are good D prospects coming up. Center prospects, not so much
Our top 3 centres are all under 28 and signed for 4+ years. We don't really need centre prospects. Janko on the 4th line is a waste i think.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Kulak waived surprised me. Guessing valimaki or kylington are getting strong consideration.
I'm not overly shocked, I think he will clear and it's evidence in the arbitration hearing to prove that pretty much any one-way deal is the best he will get.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
The (ridiculous) thread on the trade board suggesting a Gaudreau for B. Tkachuk swap got me thinking...

With the tire fire that Ottawa is right now, is there any chance Brady may decide to stay in College and not sign with Ottawa in order to sign here to play with Matt in a few years?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The (ridiculous) thread on the trade board suggesting a Gaudreau for B. Tkachuk swap got me thinking...

With the tire fire that Ottawa is right now, is there any chance Brady may decide to stay in College and not sign with Ottawa in order to sign here to play with Matt in a few years?
I think stuff like that is very unlikely. That would amount to essentially paying millions of dollars to not play in the NHL for a few years.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think stuff like that is very unlikely. That would amount to essentially paying millions of dollars to not play in the NHL for a few years.

He'll be in the NHL, if Ottawa was smart (asking a lot really) in 2019/2020 or 2020/2021. They'll be a tire fire for the next season, I wouldn't let the kids see it. Keep him in college for at least another season, hopefully you can get some new ownership and a vision for the Sens. The next few years will be really, really, really long in Ottawa. May as well not expose your top prospect to it as long as you can.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Maybe if he had less pedigree.

Like, he’s a 4th overall pick that’s NHL ready now.

Chances are slim to none he decides to play three more years just to become FA, given the circumstances.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
He'll be in the NHL, if Ottawa was smart (asking a lot really) in 2019/2020 or 2020/2021. They'll be a tire fire for the next season, I wouldn't let the kids see it. Keep him in college for at least another season, hopefully you can get some new ownership and a vision for the Sens. The next few years will be really, really, really long in Ottawa. May as well not expose your top prospect to it as long as you can.
They’d be smart to get him signed next year.

I don’t think he’s wants to be there next year. But man, Ottawa already struggles with attendance. If they lose Stone, Karlsson and Duchene, they need some sort of draw for people to attend.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I don’t think he’s wants to be there next year. But man, Ottawa already struggles with attendance. If they lose Stone, Karlsson and Duchene, they need some sort of draw for people to attend.
You don't need ticket sales if you don't have any player salaries to pay. -rollsafe.png-

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

From a business standpoint, the best thing that could happen is an ownership change (forced).
Essentially, 2018/2019 is a wash, they'll be a bad team, they'll trade their assets for some top prospects, they won't have a first round pick. If they could do an ownership change for 2019/2020, you could really do the ownership:

"This will be a growing season, we are dedicated to improving the on-ice product. The people of Ottawa deserve it, and we really thank you fans for sticking through some of the very tough years of this organization. We want to invite everyone to please show your Senators pride, and support our young and exciting team; we expect to be back competing to bring a Stanley Cup back to Canada, and what better city than our capital. We want to thank our season... blah blah blah."

Essentially get the fans excited for something off-ice. Fire Dorion, bring in Mark Hunter. With Melnyk out of the way, and less of a meddling ownership group, you'd have some excitement in the city. The "Hey, it'll be bad, but man, we have some smart people at the helm now, we can turn it around quick. Look we have Tkachuk in college, he's ready, we have X, Y, Z (Stone, Karlsson, Duchene trades) ready to make the jump to full time NHL'ers. We have a lot of cap for this offseason too!"

Do what Toronto did.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sell the team to Quebecor and move them to Quebec City. Get a fresh start in a city that saw some of the worst teams in nhl history

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I think people crap on Melnyk too much, Hes absolutely right. The senators were spending a ton of money on their players and on ice product, and people can’t even be bothered to show up to the conference finals. Now he shouldn’t have gone public and said anything, but a new owner isn’t going to make fans show up to games. Owning a sports team does not mean you should be forced to bleed millions.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think people crap on Melnyk too much, Hes absolutely right. The senators were spending a ton of money on their players and on ice product, and people can’t even be bothered to show up to the conference finals. Now he shouldn’t have gone public and said anything, but a new owner isn’t going to make fans show up to games. Owning a sports team does not mean you should be forced to bleed millions.
Because being bothered to show up to Senators games is a real, actual, significant bother given where the arena is. It's tough to condemn the fans for not going to Kanata to watch the games.

And no, the Senators were not really spending a ton of money. They've been a budget team for as long as I can remember. The problem is when they do spend, it's not smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->