Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
None of Monahan, Gaudreau, or Giordano were good enough last season outside of a couple weeks here and there. All the added depth won't matter that much if they don't bounce back. Lindholm and Tkachuk were better but not really by that much even.

Those 5 players will all need to play well in 2020-21 especially if the season is significantly shortened. There's really not the month and a half 'figuring it out' period the Flames usually take to start the season. The roster has a lot of versatility right now, probably the best roster the Flames have had in 30 years. Hopefully Ward can find the right combination and get the team playing a style that will maximize their success.

I agree with most of this, but I think the best roster we have had since our Cup was in 2010/11.

Calgary Flames 2010-11 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
I'm going to lose my **** if Lucic is on the 2nd powerplay at all next year.

Lucic was actually the Flames' most effective goal scorer on the PP last year by quite a bit. Provided a great net-front presence.

I definitely wouldn't be opposed to seeing some other players replace his PP time (one of Mangiapane, Bennett or Dube specifically) but Lucic did his job just as good as anyone on the PP last year.

Reactions: Nanuuk

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Eric Francis Q&A with Geoff Ward, **** Francis, not even gonna bother with his analysis but I'll put the main points of Ward's answers

Q&A: Flames' Ward on moving Lindholm to top centre spot, Markstrom deal

Ward thinks the depth signings will allow them to play Lindholm at C. (After Tre's radio interview last week, it looks like we'll for sure be seeing Lindholm at C to start the season)
He's excited about the Markstrom signing, he talked with Rittich about the game 6 incident and said it was his fault for putting a cold Rittich in that situation, compares Rittich's personality to Khudobin and says he's important on and off the ice for this coming season.
When asked about which LHS can play RD, he mentions Valimaki (that's what he's doing in Finalnd rn), Mackey and Kylington as guys that can do that.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I agree with most of this, but I think the best roster we have had since our Cup was in 2010/11.

Calgary Flames 2010-11 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

God damn do I miss the battleship that was Robyn Regehr.

Yeah I dunno, that team was alright but still had significant flaws in it's forward group. Most notably (stop/kill me if I sound like a broken record here) no premier center. Loved Glencross and Tanguay too. Even if Bennett manages to be a Glencross type of player that chips in 20-25 goals a year that would be major for the Flames in the future.

The Flames are only 1 season removed from a 50 win season.
Out from that roster:
TJ Brodie
Michael Frolik
Mike Smith
James Neal
Mark Jankowski
Garnett Hathaway
Travis Hamonic
Michael Stone
Dalton Prout
Oscar Fantenberg
Austin Czarnik
(some others)

In for 2020-21:
Jakob Markstrom
Chris Tanev
Milan Lucic
Josh Leivo
Dominik Simon
Joakim Nordstrom
(some others)

and bigger projected roles for:
Andersson
Valimaki
Dube
Bennett
Mangiapane

Other than 1G and the Brodie/Tanev swap most of these guys are complimentary pieces. Which group is better? Hard to say but out of the 1st group the only one I feel like I'll miss at all is TJ.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Other than 1G and the Brodie/Tanev swap most of these guys are complimentary pieces. Which group is better? Hard to say but out of the 1st group the only one I feel like I'll miss at all is TJ.
Hathaway. Again definitely a complimentary piece, but dude was an absolute animal for us on the fourth line. And killed PK's better than Janko did too (outside of faceoffs).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think I saw EmilioPetterson in safeway but that's impossible right

I mean, it's not out of the question; but would be strange considering out global circumstance.
It's not uncommon for the young guys to spend a bunch of time in Calgary to get into great shape during the off-season.

I saw Rasmus Andersson like all the time at the Safeway/Starbucks in Marda Loop 3 years ago; I think the year after Tre blasted his conditioning. He was literally working out with trainers out here under pseudo team supervision.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Would it be insane to, if we put Lindholm at C, try Backlund with Gaudreau and give that line more offensive leeway while keeping a Mangiapane - Lindholm - Tkachuk line as the go to hard 'match-up' line.

thinking about it, Backlund would solve one of the big issues we want in a C for Gaudreau, he drives up the middle, is willing to carry the puck, and is effective on the zone entry, he's dependabe defensively, and with someone like Dube/Leivo on the right side Backlund is easily average -> above average on the boards and would synergize well with one of those two. Just seems like something we haven't considered.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Lucic was actually the Flames' most effective goal scorer on the PP last year by quite a bit. Provided a great net-front presence.

I definitely wouldn't be opposed to seeing some other players replace his PP time (one of Mangiapane, Bennett or Dube specifically) but Lucic did his job just as good as anyone on the PP last year.
regardless of what advanced stats may say a player scoring 8 goals can not be deemed to be the most effective goal scorer PERIOD...that is the logical fallacy that advanced stats can cause

Lucic was not as good as anyone on the PP last year he was possibly the worst regular power play player we had

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

So over the next 500 games he can be expected to outscore all the other forwards. Or not.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
regardless of what advanced stats may say a player scoring 8 goals can not be deemed to be the most effective goal scorer PERIOD...that is the logical fallacy that advanced stats can cause

Lucic was not as good as anyone on the PP last year he was possibly the worst regular power play player we had
I mean, being a good PP goal scorer isn't always indicative of him being a strong PP player, he just benefits from the system, but personally I feel like he's our third best net front player with his size--a lack of hands being the only thing holding him back--and he serves a good purpose of taking up space in front of the net.

Lucic isn't a skill player but when looking at a PP I think you look at a players defining offensive talents. Lucic's is being big and being able to complete a tap-in, and if we have effective puck movers on the second unit away from him I don't see the harm in having a finisher that gives the offense more room to manuever being a bad thing.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hathaway. Again definitely a complimentary piece, but dude was an absolute animal for us on the fourth line. And killed PK's better than Janko did too (outside of faceoffs).
Yeah Hath was a good 4th liner. Understood the Flames walking away when he got a 4 year deal with the Caps.
Another notable difference is 2018 Giordano vs. 2020 Giordano.
That too, 2018 Giordano isn't going to be making a comeback but hopefully some steps forward from Andersson, Hanifin, Valimaki, and Kylington/Nesterov help mitigate that.

Reactions: Mazatt

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Can't help but think this influx of forwards is meant to reduce Lucic's role here. We'll see how that plays out if it's true

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I was excited to find out today that Valimaki is playing on his off-side (RD) in Finland.

"SN: Given your shortage of experienced right-handed defencemen, who is most likely going to play on the off-side?

GW: Valimaki is playing on his off-side now in Finland, so he may be a guy who is able to slip over. I really liked what I saw from Connor Mackey in the pause. I think he would be able to slide over. Same for Oliver Kylington. We’ve got some guys we can talk to.
I want to get a feel for what they are all about as players because I think that will make our decision easier in terms of who we’re going to ask to slide where and whatnot."

Too bad Kylington isn't doing the same thing in Sweden.

Q&A: Flames' Ward on moving Lindholm to top centre spot, Markstrom deal

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017

Lucic scored 5 goals on the PP, which ranked 4th on the team and was 2 more than the next closest on PP2.

Aside from Lucic, every player outside of PP1 combined to score a total of 7 goals.

Lucic might provide nothing offensively at 5v5 but he definitely does his job well on the PP

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Apparently Ward is talking about having Bennett and Linholm at center... Could this possibly mean that Monahan could very well be out the door? I could see it, but nothing short of overpayment. He hasn't been the same for a while. I would rather keep Gaudreau over Monahan to be honest, and this wouldn't even be a discussion if it weren't for Monahan playing as the more important position.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
If they out Lindholm and Bennett at centre why can't they keep Monahan at wing?

Reactions: Mazatt

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Apparently Ward is talking about having Bennett and Linholm at center... Could this possibly mean that Monahan could very well be out the door? I could see it, but nothing short of overpayment. He hasn't been the same for a while. I would rather keep Gaudreau over Monahan to be honest, and this wouldn't even be a discussion if it weren't for Monahan playing as the more important position.

If they can't find a suitable trade, maybe they just consider trying to wing it?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Monahan for Kakko.
All day. Doubt we get a player like that for Monahan.

I still think we should trade Money for a high end RW prospects (and maybe a few sweeteners.) And then go after Cirelli, or Barzal with an offer sheet (ship Ryan off for peanuts in the case of Barzal). I would love if we could get Jack Quinn for Monahan. Also think other guys like Batherson+, Caufield, etc. could be huge finds.

Gaudreau-Cirelli-Lindholm
Mangiapane-Backlund-Tkachuk
Dube-Bennett-Leivo
Lucic-Simon-Nordstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad