Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Any chance you guys go through another rebuild?

I am a canucks fan but I am not trying to be annoying. Just a honest question.

I think last year was a career year for most of your team and they got into a solid system. Just don't think you guys will be as good as last year for a while. Col hands down are the best team going into the future. Nashville and Dallas will be good the next few years. Canucks/Edmonton lack depth but imo are better then the flames and both teams are on the upstring.

idk your ownership situation/fanbase well enough but with all respect is a rebuild a feasible option?

hopefully you guys take this the right way :)

I'm not sure how closely you follow hockey, but this is an extremely myopic question to even ask. Essentially, you are suggesting that the Canucks should have blown up the Sedin core in 2007-08. Probably not a good idea, right?

Historically, teams rebuild when their core ages out and they have failed to fill in the age gap through the draft through their contention window. Thus, as soon as their stars decline, they are left with absolutely nothing to build on without just being really bad for a few years. Recent rebuilds include the Canucks when the Sedin core aged out, the Leafs when the Sundin core aged out, and the Oilers when the Horcoff/Smyth core aged out. The Kings are moving into rebuild while the Doughty/Kopitar era fizzles out. The Wild will end up there once Suter and Parise run out of fumes.

The Flames' core is currently in their mid-20s. This is a core that placed first in the conference last year without getting quality goaltending for most of the year. This isn't a core like the Gagner boys in Edmonton where they need to restart after a failed launch. They have proven that they have the ability to win a ton of hockey games over a full season. Where a rebuild address a desperate need for impact players, the Flames have shown that they don't have such a need.

The whole "career year" thing is ridiculous when talking about young players on a developmental upswing. The Oilers have most of their roster on pace for career bests this year. So are the Canucks. Are they going to need to rebuild next year if their trajectory doesn't continue monotonically increasing? These are young teams. They should be expected to have a good chance each year to build on their personal bests until their late 20s. It shouldn't alarm people when it happens or throw up red flags.

The Flames have entered their window. They have proven that the talent on the team is enough to be a contender. They haven't got the trick of bringing it on a nightly basis. A rebuild isn't the solution to that problem. That's like nuking a house to get rid of a rodent.

Last edited:

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Sabres fan here. For Monahan, does Reinhart get the conversation started?

I think Sam is underrated but we can’t be trading Monahan for a package. If anything we’d need to add to him to get a better player

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Reinhart isn’t any better than Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm imo

I think Monahan probably holds a bit more value overall

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
I'm not sure how closely you follow hockey, but this is an extremely myopic question to even ask. Essentially, you are suggesting that the Canucks should have blown up the Sedin core in 2007-08. Probably not a good idea, right?

Historically, teams rebuild when their core ages out and they have failed to fill in the age gap through the draft through their contention window. Thus, as soon as their stars decline, they are left with absolutely nothing to build on without just being really bad for a few years. Recent rebuilds include the Canucks when the Sedin core aged out, the Leafs when the Sundin core aged out, and the Oilers when the Horcoff/Smyth core aged out. The Kings are moving into rebuild while the Doughty/Kopitar era fizzles out. The Wild will end up their once Suter and Parise run out of fumes.

The Flames' core is currently in their mid-20s. This is a core that placed first in the conference last year without getting quality goaltending for most of the year. This isn't a core like the Gagner boys in Edmonton where they need to restart after a failed launch. They have proven that they have the ability to win a ton of hockey games over a full season. Where a rebuild address a desperate need for impact players, the Flames have shown that they don't have such a need.

The whole "career year" thing is ridiculous when talking about young players on a developmental upswing. The Oilers have most of their roster on pace for career bests this year. So are the Canucks. Are they going to need to rebuild next year if their trajectory doesn't continue monotonically increasing? These are young teams. They should be expected to have a good chance each year to build on their personal bests until their late 20s. It shouldn't alarm people when it happens or throw up red flags.

The Flames have entered their window. They have proven that the talent on the team is enough to be a contender. They haven't got the trick of bringing it on a nightly basis. A rebuild isn't the solution to that problem. That's like nuking a house to get rid of a rodent.
10/10 post

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Miles Wood's on the block in NJ. Bennett for Wood. Change of Scenery trade

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Unfortunately Janks is now playing on my beer league team and we benched him.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Lindholm
Rittich
Tkachuk
Andersson
Brodie

No point in making panic moves until the new coach can get a grip on things
Bingo... I didn't include Brodie who is definitely playing way better this year, but I don't consider him part of our long term core (just assuming he'll be moved).

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Bennett was misused
The flames can't trade their 1st line center for a scrub

Ward will reinstate Bennett to his rightful spot on the team
Yep. Natural 1st line center. Lindholm moved to 2nd line center. Monahan moved to his natural position as 3rd line LW. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: DFF

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
From 31 thoughts. I feel lile Montreal would be an ideal landing environment for Bennett to explode
15. Before everything that happened last week in Calgary, other clubs were trying to see if they could steal Sam Bennett. The Flames apparently laughed off lowball offers. In the past, teams that have tried to get him include Anaheim, Montreal and Nashville.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
From 31 thoughts. I feel lile Montreal would be an ideal landing environment for Bennett to explode

"Steal Sam Bennett/Low ball offers" is an interesting choice of words. Perhaps his value is still relatively decent league wide. (ie: Late 1st, early 2nd)

Reactions: Nanuuk

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
"Steal Sam Bennett/Low ball offers" is an interesting choice of words. Perhaps his value is still relatively decent league wide. (ie: Late 1st, early 2nd)
I think he's available for the first time in his career. He might have one last shot with Ward but I can't help but think that both parties feel that things may have run their course here. It's a shame he's been so blatantly misused

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think he's available for the first time in his career. He might have one last shot with Ward but I can't help but think that both parties feel that things may have run their course here. It's a shame he's been so blatantly misused

Fair. But I also think management is only interested in a lateral move from LW to RW for a Bennett type trade. So there are also specific restrictions on how a team can try to acquire Bennett. IMO, I don't think Treliving is interested in just purely getting something for him.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Yeah, just trade Bennett, cant have players with some sandpaper in their game.

Hathaway, Ferland, Engelland gone, better get rid of Bennett next.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

What a dumb post. Like, what a monumentally stupid thing to type down. Did you think at all before saying that the Flames issue recently is Hathaway, Ferland, and Engelland being gone (ignore how he traded Ferland for a player who has sand paper in his game), and that Bennett would presumably be dropped for nothing? The article says that they are laughing at lowball offers and somehow you get that the Flames hate grit?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I've been a proponent of trading Bennett for a guy like Anderson from CBJ. Relative lateral move skill and production wise, sandpaper, but a RHS RW that is direly needed. I'm not proposing trading Bennett for like a 2nd rounder or 1st. I'm saying his value is perhaps similar to that.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
What a dumb post. Like, what a monumentally stupid thing to type down. Did you think at all before saying that the Flames issue recently is Hathaway, Ferland, and Engelland being gone (ignore how he traded Ferland for a player who has sand paper in his game), and that Bennett would presumably be dropped for nothing? The article says that they are laughing at lowball offers and somehow you get that the Flames hate grit?

Lol. Who, Lindholm? Thanks for a hearty laugh.

One of (many) Flames problems is that they curl up into a ball when they face physical teams. Zero push back. Wonder why is that. And they certainly arent skilled enough to overcome that deficit or make teams pay on PP.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Lol. Who, Lindholm? Thanks for a hearty laugh.

One of (many) Flames problems is that they curl up into a ball when they face physical teams. Zero push back. Wonder why is that. And they certainly arent skilled enough to overcome that deficit or make teams pay on PP.

Flames outhit the avs in the playoffs and got their ass kicked anyway.

Physicality continues to be the red-herring for the fans. It’s not as if bringing in lucic turned the team around after all...

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016

Physicality continues to be the red-herring for the fans. It’s not as if bringing in lucic turned the team around after all...

In the games i watched, our forwards incl Tkachuk had no answer to Zadorov and Cole's heavy game.

Obviously thats on top of our team having no answer to MacK or Rantanen.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
In the games i watched, our forwards incl Tkachuk had no answer to Zadorov and Cole's heavy game.

Obviously thats on top of our team having no answer to MacK or Rantanen.

Maybe because the flames shouldn’t be trying to play the heavy game in the first place? I saw the flames wear themselves into dust in game 1 and then have no answer. The game plan was an utter failure, and just made it all the more easier for mack and co to roll over us as a result.

Reactions: Foo Fighter

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Nikita Zadorov played that series looking like if Probert and Boogeyman had a child.
The issue has never been physicality, it's been mental toughness. They played like they were all Johnny's size last year come playoff time. Nathan MacKinnon dominated that series, while our 'top guys' played like dog shit. We still came 2 OT games away from having a totally different outcome.

I'm fine with this teams' sandpaper now, just because we do have a guy like Lucic that can make opponents stop taking liberties. Who was the last guy to go out of his way to be a pest to Calgary? Sherwood? What'd he get? Punched in the face so hard he stopped doing it.

IF this teams' offensive players, the guys who should be carrying the load, were; we'd be talking about a cup favourite right now. But you have Johnny playing some his worst career hockey, Monahan, after a strong start, playing back to his 'is he even on the roster' potential; and really that lack of bottom 6 help at this time... This team has another gear, it's up to them to find it... or it's up to Tre to make major changes to the core this offseason.

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015
I'm really interested to see what Ward can do. We aren't going to save our season with a trade.

This team needs a coach that realizes we need to play the rush more, cut way down on the dump ins, exit the d-zone with support instead of making passes through skates and get the team playing more dynamically. Flames aren't that fast and they aren't that big, they need to be unpredictable but still well structured defensively to go anywhere in this league. Maybe Ward can solve that puzzle.

Step 1 is spreading the talent throughout the 4 lines.
Step 2 is reward players who are playing well with more icetime and demote players that have prolonged periods of poor play.

If we can't solve that we definitely aren't a contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad