Andersson
Hanifin
Kylington
Valimaki
Mackey
Yelesin
Poolman
Lerby

Some really good youth there that is already NHL proven. Mackey will play NHL games next season. Add a top 4 veteran and NHL-AHL tweener for more depth and move onto the forward group.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Nice to have free prospects but college free agents are such a crap shoot. Sometimes they end up good nhl players (usually not stars) and more often they end up AHL players like the hype Spencer Foo had when we signed him and he will likely never play another game in the NHL.

Reactions: Foo Fighter

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
College UFAs aren't signed to plug holes in the NHL roster.
Quite so. I was lamenting the fact that many posters just slide someone in to their off position to fill a gap at that position. Drives me crazy. These two new signings though will help in Stockton where the bulk of D are on AHL only contracts. And maybe, as Treliving has said, one of them is close to being NHL ready (Mackey).

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I like college free agents. They're much farther along in their development than a drafted player, and if they're good enough for NHL teams to be giving them a look and playing big minutes for a decent NCAA program there's usually at least something there anyway. Less chance something goes wrong in their development when you sign them at 23 or 24 than 18 or 19.

All you're really risking is a contract spot. Like what I've heard about Mackey. Do wish at least one of these guys shot right tho

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The fact we have ten billion left handed d-man just reinforces the notion that we NEED to re-sign Brodie this offseason. Ras is legit our only NHL RHD. And no re-signing awful RHD Travis Hamonic isn't the answer.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
With the Covid-19 affecting league revenues and the possibility of a lower cap along with compliance buy-outs, UFA's may be signing for a lot less than they used to. I'd resign Brodie in a heartbeat regardless. He give the Flames all sorts of flexibility and he's a pretty darned good d-man to boot.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
With the Covid-19 affecting league revenues and the possibility of a lower cap along with compliance buy-outs, UFA's may be signing for a lot less than they used to. I'd resign Brodie in a heartbeat regardless. He give the Flames all sorts of flexibility and he's a pretty darned good d-man to boot.

I think the Flames would too. Question is whether Brodie wants to or not.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Brodie doesn’t strike me as the type to hold a grudge. If him and his wife like the city, I could see him coming back. But who knows?

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Nice to have free prospects but college free agents are such a crap shoot. Sometimes they end up good nhl players (usually not stars) and more often they end up AHL players
Same with most players drafted after the 2nd round. But people don't make the same arguments about mid to late draft picks. The reality is, Mackey is basically a free 3rd without us paying for his development. Poolman is basically a free 4th/5th. At this point, they are guaranteed to play pro, with a chance at the NHL. Which is honestly more than most 3rd round or later prospects.

Brodie doesn’t strike me as the type to hold a grudge. If him and his wife like the city, I could see him coming back. But who knows?
From what I gathered, it's not so much that they don't like the city, it's that the weather here is pretty hard on his wife's health.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Stajan was speculating a while ago that Brodie was leaving.

Apparently the Kadri trade thing stung him a bit and warm weather apparently helps MS which his wife has

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
It happened a bit further up the page and prior to this, but I don't understand some peoples need to trash any signing/decisions the Flames make. Like getting two college free agents and immediately going to lamenting how Treliving didn't get RHD instead, as though getting the top ranked undrafted free agent is something you only do if he feels an immediate positional need?

Other than that, I feel like trying to understand Brodie's intent in what to do in free agency isn't something we can really guess at. Hockey is unpredictable and so is the business around it since that is super personal info. The only real information we have is that his wife has MS (and anything related to things that can help MS can be taken into consideration with speculation), he's a UFA, and that the Flames were willing to trade him for Kadri. The people who would know his decision, or if its even been made, is Brodie, his family, and possibly the Flames. All we can really do now is wait, both with Brodie's decision and anything with the NHL.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Brodie won't be back. He'll be 30 in June. Having a great season, in a contract year, doesn't erase three consecutive terrible ones, for me or the franchise. It has already been leaked that he maybe leaning towards a warmer environment and I believe, in order for Brodie to even consider resigning, it would require a NMC, which I don't think the franchise is willing to give.
Here's hoping that loading up on LD means that we're moving Hanifin in a package for Ekblad.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Why tho? Just like... why?
I mean If we could get Ekblad for Hanifin (I really doubt that) what's the reason for not doing it? Ekblad is a little less than a year older, a RHD, has 40 points already this year and has really started to live up to his draft potential.

He looked like a true #1 this season.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Wouldn't this be sweet if it happens..

Per Brian Burke:

The conversation later turned to the some of the economic issues of a league trying to pick up the pieces if the current season is lost, and a large chunk of hockey-related revenues along with it. That will impact both the clubs and players. The assumption was for the start of the 2020-21 season.

“First off we have to determine what the losses are. Does insurance cover these losses? In some places I’m told it will, in some it won’t. So what is the total loss? We got in 85% of the regular season, so we gotta figure out what that wage gap is, and and there’s ways to figure out moving forward how to deal with it. I’ve heard discussion of compliance buyouts to help teams get to this new cap, to solve some of their problems. Which they gave in the last CBA, each team got two cap-compliance buyouts which were exempt from the cap. I’ve heard talk of that.

Did someone say "compliance buyout"? Why yes, Brian Burke did. Discuss... | Edmonton Journal

Top 11 (purely hypothetical) NHL compliance buyout candidates - Sportsnet.ca

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Flames should get the Oilers 3rd round pick.

The terms of the trade was based on a 82 game season. The Oilers played 73 games. In the original agreement, that would result in the Flames getting the Oilers 3rd rnd pick, James Neal had to score 21 goals and Lucic couldn't score more than a 10 goal difference between the two players in a 82 game season.

71 games / 82 games = 0.8658
0.8658 x 21 goals = 18.1818 goals in a 73 game season
James Neal has scored 19 goals in 73 games.

The Flames played 72 games. Lucic can only score 10 or fewer goals than Neal in a 82 game season. Lucic has scored 8 goals in 72 games.

70 games / 82 games = 0.8536
0.8536 x 10 goals = 8.536 goals in a 72 game season

8 goals is less than 8.536

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->