Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Okay but where does Hall play on the team?

Or is Gaudreau being shipped off?

Dont think Hall has ever played RW

if Hall comes over, I don’t see us keeping Johnny. Packaged out for a young C.

mid we keep him, he can play with Chucky if we can make the numbers work for a couple of years.

hall-Backlund-Chucky

Mangi moves to third line with Ryan and Bennett.

keep our second line as Johnny monny Lindy.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
if Hall comes over, I don’t see us keeping Johnny. Packaged out for a young C.

mid we keep him, he can play with Chucky if we can make the numbers work for a couple of years.

hall-Backlund-Chucky

Mangi moves to third line with Ryan and Bennett.

keep our second line as Johnny monny Lindy.
If we signed Hall, I'd consider Johnny for Risto + Cozens.
-sign Edmondson
-trade Hanifin + Bennett for Domi/Gallagher + Fleury

Hall-Monahan-Cozens
Mangi-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Domi-Backs-Dube/Dube-Backs-Gallagher
Lucic-Ryan- XXX

Gio-Risto
Edmondson-Andersson
Valimaki-Fleury

Last edited:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I see mixed thoughts on Monahan. What would the price be for him?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I see mixed thoughts on Monahan. What would the price be for him?

He’s the whipping boy here. But he’s honestly the Flames version of Kessel. Good player but people hate on him because he’s not a franchise caliber player.

He’s a great goal scorer and his play making is hugely underrated (never played with a goal scorer and still puts up 30+ assists annually) but he does not drive possession so people hate on him.

Honestly probably your first or Cozens would need to be the main piece or I can’t see the Flames being interested

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Sign Hall
Trade Monahan for Dumba

Hall-Lindholm-Gaudreau
Mangiapane-Backlund-Chuk
Dube-Bennett-Ryan
Lucic-Jankow-Gawdin/Phillips

Gio-Dumba
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Kylington

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
He’s a great goal scorer and his play making is hugely underrated (never played with a goal scorer and still puts up 30+ assists annually) but he does not drive possession so people hate on him.
I agree with mostly everything here, but Gaudreau was, and is definitely a goal scorer, 2x 30 goals, 2x 20 and was on pace for over 20 this year. And now Lindholm is definitely a goal scorer. So I'd say he has played with goal scorers, but he puts up good numbers no matter what

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Sign Hall
Trade Monahan for Dumba

Hall-Lindholm-Gaudreau
Mangiapane-Backlund-Chuk
Dube-Bennett-Ryan
Lucic-Jankow-Gawdin/Phillips

Gio-Dumba
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Kylington

Dumba is so damn overrated . He would drive our fanbase crazy. Unless he plays like he did a couple of years ago, I’ve seen enough of him. No thanks.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Both Dmen are on one-year deals. Pretty much can waive goodbye to Kylington at this point. Hanifin is also potentially out the door as well

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Both Dmen are on one-year deals. Pretty much can waive goodbye to Kylington at this point. Hanifin is also potentially out the door as well

So just pray a glass Valimaki can fill top 4 minutes and bring back Travis Hamonic... beautiful.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't know why you'd assume so. If there's one thing I've learned about college UFAs over the years, it's that you should never ever ever ever assume that they're NHL players, no matter how many NHL teams are interested in them.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't know why you'd assume so. If there's one thing I've learned about college UFAs over the years, it's that you should never ever ever ever assume that they're NHL players, no matter how many NHL teams are interested in them.
Gio and Valimaki are pretty much pencilled into our top 4 whether we like it or not.

We also have Gustafsson and Forbert as LHD and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them is retained (at least in a vain effort to make the picks worth it)

Kylington's been identified as a weak link and pushed out of the line-up two years in a row and Hanifin was reportedly part of the offer for Hall. Not sure it's wise to be too attached to them with the acquisition of two new LHD on 1 year deals

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Gio and Valimaki are pretty much pencilled into our top 4 whether we like it or not.

We also have Gustafsson and Forbert as LHD and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them is retained (at least in a vain effort to make the picks worth it)

Kylington's been identified as a weak link and pushed out of the line-up two years in a row and Hanifin was reportedly part of the offer for Hall. Not sure it's wise to be too attached to them

Kylington is a young, raw talent that they didn't feel was ready for the responsibility of games with no margin for error. With a veteran, being replaced like that would absolutely signify his expandability. With a young player, not so much. He still has to earn it, but he's going to be given that chance.

By the same token, by no means can Valimaki be pencilled into anything until his play can be evaluated after the extended absence.

A lot has changed since Hall got traded, including Hamonic's value likely tanking in the eyes of the Flames given how his absence seemed to help the team. With Brodie gone by all accounts, and the Flames hopefully realizing Hamonic's flaws and moving on, there is a huge need for both of those guys to take the next step for the Flames. I think it's unlikely that they opt for Gustafsson at Kylington's expense given how close in his development the latter is to being as good or better than the former.

Right now, the only defencemen we have committed to as NHL players next year are Giordano, Andersson and Hanifin, with management really hoping to plug Valimaki in as well. That's still two completely wide open spots and many different ways to fill them (likely a big part of making Calgary an attractive destination for these two college guys). So to say anyone from that list or the bubble is as good as gone is a bit knee-jerky to me.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
The idea that Hanifin will be traded is so weird to me. Why would the Flames one of their two young defensemen with term? They know Giordano won't last forever, and that Kylington doesn't seem to be taking the next step, so why would the Flames be looking to trade him? Just because he was apart of the offer for what the Flames probably view to be a superstar doesn't make him expendable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad