Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Treliving wouldn't have attempted to acquire an extended Hall if he didn't have a plan.

Hamonic, Jankowski, Czarnik, Stone coming off the books is an easy 7.5m already

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Guys, there is not enough cap room to have Hall on this team unless at least $9-10 mil moves out the door. If you put together a team with remaining Flames contracts, estimate realistically the RFA contracts and have the three spares at the NHL mimimum $750,000 you are coming in around 75 million.

Treliving has $7.8 million tied up in an immovable contract and two buyouts.

That's not totally true. I've done the numbers myself and posted it and you can go back and look, it's literally 1 or 2 pages back. If Hall came in at $8.5 mil and we re-signed our RFA's we could fit him in if we just used league min/ELC's. This scenario had Hamonic and Brodie both walking, thus the ELC d-men.

We could fit him in WITH Brodie if Lucic retired (he won't)/LTIR'd (could happen hopefully).

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
If you sign Hall ($8.0-9.0 million), you just need to move Bennett and Ryan and you can still add a Dman and still fit it all in.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Assuming there is actually something to the Johnny rumors.....

Johnny
Lucic

For

Boeser
Sutter
Demko

Maybe package up Sutter with Bennett to Ottawa for a late round pick and bang we have the cash to sign Hall, improve our center depth, plus get a young 1a/1b goalie. The only down side is that Johnny and Pettersson will make our lives miserable for the next 2 years, at least.

Barf. Why we are we attaching out best contract to our worst contract? Recipe for disaster.

I would absolutely lose my freaking mind if Gaudreau ever wore a Canucks sweater.

Reactions: Tkachuky

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Barf. Why we are we attaching out best contract to our worst contract? Recipe for disaster.

I would absolutely lose my freaking mind if Gaudreau ever wore a Canucks sweater.
You can barf all you like but if we move Johnny, it really doesn't matter where he ends up, it's about the return. Hall, Boeser + Demko, especially without destroying our cap, givesus a better chance to win than Johnny, Bennett + Lucic.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
You can barf all you like but if we move Johnny, it really doesn't matter where he ends up, it's about the return. Hall, Boeser + Demko, especially without destroying our cap, givesus a better chance to win than Johnny, Bennett + Lucic.

Hall, Gaudreau, and whatever backup we sign is better than the other two mentioned.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
That's not totally true. I've done the numbers myself and posted it and you can go back and look, it's literally 1 or 2 pages back. If Hall came in at $8.5 mil and we re-signed our RFA's we could fit him in if we just used league min/ELC's. This scenario had Hamonic and Brodie both walking, thus the ELC d-men.

We could fit him in WITH Brodie if Lucic retired (he won't)/LTIR'd (could happen hopefully).

A lot of hope with those numbers....getting Hall for 8.5, Mangi for 1.75 (I think he gets over 2, maybe the Bennett contract of 2.55), a depth chart of Kylington as your #4, Valimaki and Mackey as your 3rd pairing when both need some AHL time and Stone as your reserve. And an inexperienced Zags as the backup.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
A lot of hope with those numbers....getting Hall for 8.5, Mangi for 1.75 (I think he gets over 2, maybe the Bennett contract of 2.55), a depth chart of Kylington as your #4, Valimaki and Mackey as your 3rd pairing when both need some AHL time and Stone as your reserve. And an inexperienced Zags as the backup.
I would be shocked if Valimaki plays a second in the AHL next year. No reason for it, frankly

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Hall, Gaudreau, and whatever backup we sign is better than the other two mentioned.
I disagree, Boeser is a better RW than Johnny and I don't think Hall would even play it. Gaudreau is not nearly as effective on the RW side, we all saw this, this year. While he didn't Backlund suck at RW, he definitely wouldn't be a better option than Boeser. Plus, loading up the top 6 and relying on Rittch is a recipe for disaster.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Personally I thought Lucic improved all year and the last 20 games or so that Lucic-Ryan-Dube line was really effective. I also think he’s going to be useful In the playoffs.

don’t understand the hate for him based on how he played in Edmonton and at the start of the season.

certainly don’t understand trading our one elite player to a division rival so they can beat on us for another decade? Nah I’m good on that...

Reactions: Schred and Nanuuk

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
In a down year Gaudreau still had a better points per game than Boeser. That's with Boeser riding shotgun to a player better than any we have with Gaudreau gone, and his stats away from Petterson drop like a rock. He's a good complimentary player but I don't care if Johnny is playing center he's still a better player than Brock Boeser.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I disagree, Boeser is a better RW than Johnny and I don't think Hall would even play it. Gaudreau is not nearly as effective on the RW side, we all saw this, this year. While he didn't Backlund suck at RW, he definitely wouldn't be a better option than Boeser. Plus, loading up the top 6 and relying on Rittch is a recipe for disaster.

Boeser would be perfect on the Flames IF Gaudreau is still there. Gaudreau and Monahan (mainly Gaudreau) turned Hudler and Ferland into temporary all stars. Maybe Hall can do the same, but I’d rather Gaudreau remain with the team. He’s the better playmaker.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
In a down year Gaudreau still had a better points per game than Boeser. That's with Boeser riding shotgun to a player better than any we have with Gaudreau gone, and his stats away from Petterson drop like a rock. He's a good complimentary player but I don't care if Johnny is playing center he's still a better player than Brock Boeser.

You know Boeser's best year is when Pettersson wasn't on the team right?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Flames have 5 dmen that are UFA after this season. Brodie, Hamonic, Forbort, Gustafsson, and Stone. If they wanted to go cheap on their D and goaltending and assuming they don't qualify Janko they could fit Hall in rather easily. I'd still rather see Brodie back but if he's too expensive or wants to look elsewhere I wouldn't mind seeing what a Gustafsson contract might look like.

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Gustafsson
Valimaki-Kylington

Yelesin/Mackey/Poolman

Would be gamble on Andersson continuing to develop but I like that bet. He was very solid this year.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
You're probably not wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me based only on the fact he's missed so much time, a conditioning stint so to speak wouldn't hurt.
Definitely wouldn’t hurt, no. But I believe he will already be skating in Phase 3, no? Plus all offseason until October/November/whenever the season starts. More than enough time to get in shape.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
You're probably not wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me based only on the fact he's missed so much time, a conditioning stint so to speak wouldn't hurt.

I think he'll be good. All hockey players are going to be antsy to get back on the ice. Plus, we have preseason to get things going. I think we often forget that Valimaki was one of the best defenseman against the Avs in the playoffs. Him getting injured might have been a blessing in disguise considering we can have him exempt from the draft.

I think he will be on the bottom pairing playing 14-15 minutes a night come 20/21, but he is going to force his way into the top 4 eventually. I'm very high on him, I think he has the potential to be the top pairing LD over Hanifin.

Reactions: 47 and Nanuuk

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Definitely wouldn’t hurt, no. But I believe he will already be skating in Phase 3, no? Plus all offseason until October/November/whenever the season starts. More than enough time to get in shape.

Yeah just practice doesn't equal games sort of thing. I very much would prefer to be wrong, but I can't help but worry about how much development time he's missed.

Reactions: User1996

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think we are going to shuffle a few forwards for inexpensive but reasonable quality dmen. Like, the Jankowski/Bennett etc. guys for some inexpensive vets of the Forbort ilk etc.

On a side note, Hamonic is sitting out. I am unsure of what that means long term... I can't help but think he might actually take less to keep playing for the Flames (ie: 3x3//3.5x3 dman contract), but no clue.

Feb 23, 2014
I think we are going to shuffle a few forwards for inexpensive but reasonable quality dmen. Like, the Jankowski/Bennett etc. guys for some inexpensive vets of the Forbort ilk etc.

On a side note, Hamonic is sitting out. I am unsure of what that means long term... I can't help but think he might actually take less to keep playing for the Flames (ie: 3x3//3.5x3 dman contract), but no clue.

If we expect Valimaki to emerge as a top 4 dman in the near future, much like Rasmus, Hamonic might actually make the most sense to retain. So long as he comes at a reasonable price..

Gio-Andersson
Valimaki-Hanifin
Kylington-Hamonic

Until Valimaki is ready to take on those minutes you can elevate Hamonic.

Hamonic as the #5 is a nice safety net.

Reactions: Fig

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't see the need to bring back Hamonic. We've tried the idea of $3million 3rd pairing guys thrice now and it just hamstrings our ability to improve our forwards for a minimal gain in defense.

I think a team's bottom 3 Dmen should be a mixture of ELC guys and cheap vets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->