Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Harmonic pulled out of playoffs

With the depth we picked up at the deadline maybe it’s not too bad? He does bring grit and toughness though, which can go a long way in the ploffs.

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Forbort-Gustafsson
Kylington

Not too bad all things considered.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Pretty certain you were a bennett defender for a long time so that invalidates this statement entirely.

wrong. Loved him in his draft year and after the Van playoffs but that was literally everyone. I’ve been pretty critical of Bennett for a long time (3ish seasons). That said I still think he’s proven to be really good in playoff style hockey.

And I know i sound arrogant and I definitely am not perfect, I’ve been wrong before. But what Tim Stutzle did at the WJC, the speed he plays the game at and the way he’s able to make quick little plays at that speed, it showed me that he’s a special talent. I know I will/am getting lambasted for it but I think he’s a game breaking forward coming into the league.

I love Matt Tkachuk and see him as the most valuable trade chip on this team. I just think management might have to consider trading him if he’s the piece that we need to trade to get a #1C. It’s not a slight on Tkachuk, more recognition that he’s our most valuable trade piece, at our strongest position and likely the only player that can get us a number 1 C in return. All I’m saying is that if Stutzle or Byfield or anyone else is that future #1C we’ve been lacking since Nieuwendyk, than you have to consider moving Tkachuk.

Last edited:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
First off, I like Hamonic a lot as a person and he does great charity work but... on the ice this is a positive, he might improve the bottom pair but you just know he'd have been played as our #3 if he came back.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
With the rumour that Boeser may be shopped, I would look into acquiring him over Hall. I know Hall we can get for free and Boeser would cost an arm and a leg especially in division, but Boeser is younger, a right shot RW, on a decent contract for 2 more years + RFA after.

I think if we started with Kylington + picks, it could be done. Wouldn't give up Vali, Hanifin, or Ras in the trade.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Boeser
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane[Lafreniere]

is just as lethal if not more so than with Hall IMO.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
With the rumour that Boeser may be shopped, I would look into acquiring him over Hall. I know Hall we can get for free and Boeser would cost an arm and a leg especially in division, but Boeser is younger, a right shot RW, on a decent contract for 2 more years + RFA after.

I think if we started with Kylington + picks, it could be done. Wouldn't give up Vali, Hanifin, or Ras in the trade.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Boeser
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane[Lafreniere]

is just as lethal if not more so than with Hall IMO.

Way out of lunch. Kylington ain't the base at all for any trade for Boeser.

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
Good riddance

He is done as a flames
I will miss him as a Flame. Guy is a warrior and I bet the team misses him too. Stay at home d tend to get underrated. Maybe he didnt fit great with Hanny this year, but I dont see how that's all Travis' fault. If he truly is done as a Flame, I wish him all the best in the future and respect his decision to opt out.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Guys, there is not enough cap room to have Hall on this team unless at least $9-10 mil moves out the door. If you put together a team with remaining Flames contracts, estimate realistically the RFA contracts and have the three spares at the NHL mimimum $750,000 you are coming in around 75 million.

Treliving has $7.8 million tied up in an immovable contract and two buyouts.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Guys, there is not enough cap room to have Hall on this team unless at least $9-10 mil moves out the door. If you put together a team with remaining Flames contracts, estimate realistically the RFA contracts and have the three spares at the NHL mimimum $750,000 you are coming in around 75 million.

Unless the NHL bet against the NHL season in the stock market... They would have made a killing AND the cap would increase substantially.
tenor.gif

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Don't want to beat a dead horse, but there were a wole lotta posters on the prospects board dissing Tkachuk as a 3rd wheel, and some of our posters sure bought it. They wanted smaller skilled guys. They changed their tune as soon as we drafted him though.
And for the record, I also raved about Tkachuk all that year and was elated when we called his name.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Assuming there is actually something to the Johnny rumors.....

Johnny
Lucic

For

Boeser
Sutter
Demko

Maybe package up Sutter with Bennett to Ottawa for a late round pick and bang we have the cash to sign Hall, improve our center depth, plus get a young 1a/1b goalie. The only down side is that Johnny and Pettersson will make our lives miserable for the next 2 years, at least.

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020

Nit picky, but the Flames did not carry 3 extras for much of the year this year. So that saves a bit.

I do think it’s workable if Hall comes in between $8-$9 million (if we needed to pay above $9m I wouldn’t touch him anyways). Sure, you’d have to skimp on some areas, but I think adding a player of Hall’s caliber offsets running with a cheaper 4th line/bottom pair and backup G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->