Armchair GM III: No more stinky deadline rentals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We were talkin about how we are going to get Shattenkirk, Yandle, or Byfuglien. And Vatanen. And Stamkos.

Think that covers it.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
We were talkin about how we are going to get Shattenkirk, Yandle, or Byfuglien. And Vatanen. And Stamkos.

Think that covers it.

I think the most realistic option for the Wings is Vatanen as I think everyone else will either cost too much in FA or will take more assets than Kenny would like to give up for a rental.

Here's my proposal.

:wings
Vatanen
Cogliano

:ducks2
Nyquist
Quincey/Smith/XO
Jurco

I can only imagine a line of
AA-Helm-Cogliano

If we don't re-sign Helm, Cogliano is his replacement and AA would replace Nyquist.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I've become less interested in a Nyquist for Vatanen swap.

I would be in favor of a Nyquist + a bunch of stuff swap for Shattenkirk, though. I'm also cool with trying to snag a free agent D this summer.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I've become less interested in a Nyquist for Vatanen swap.

I would be in favor of a Nyquist + a bunch of stuff swap for Shattenkirk, though. I'm also cool with trying to snag a free agent D this summer.

I wouldn't mind Shattenkirk, its just I would be afraid of giving away Nyquist and Shatty decides not to re-sign.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
I wouldn't mind Shattenkirk, its just I would be afraid of giving away Nyquist and Shatty decides not to re-sign.

Shattenkirk still has another year on his contract. And honestly most players that come here seem to be more than willing to resign. I wouldn't worry too much.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Shattenkirk still has another year on his contract. And honestly most players that come here seem to be more than willing to resign. I wouldn't worry too much.

Another thing about trying to get Shattenkirk is STL wants a 1C which is something we wont provide.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I like Byfuglien for the size and physicality he brings, along with that offense.

I hope he is our #1 target as a trade and free agent.

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe
About our cap problem:
12. So, why does Detroit GM Ken Holland say the Red Wings are stuck with a $66M cap?

I assumed it was to hedge against bonuses that could be attained by Dylan Larkin or Brad Richards, but that is incorrect. It has everything to do with when Pavel Datsyuk was put on long-term injury relief.

CBA nerds can check Article 50.10 (d) of the document, and look for illustration number 4. The best way to utilize LTIR before the season begins is loaning bodies to the AHL so you get below the cap prior to invoking the relief. Detroit couldn’t do it.

There were guys eligible for waivers they didn’t want to risk losing. Then you try to stack the roster with as much salary as you can to utilize all of the injured player’s money. (For Datsyuk, that’s $7.5M.) Therefore, Detroit’s trying to get to the cap, plus Datsyuk’s value, so we’re talking $79M.

Their extra players didn’t make that much, and there was no sensible add. Since neither approach worked, the Red Wings lose out on what they missed by. That’s approximately $4.5M. Suffice it to say there’s a dartboard of whoever came up with this rule in Joe Louis Arena.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-ducks-a-logical-fit-for-lightnings-drouin/

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Another thing about trying to get Shattenkirk is STL wants a 1C which is something we wont provide.

Definitely. That said, I can't think of many teams that will be offering the 1C, so it's possible that they have to settle for a less than perfect package (Winger + Prospect + 1st).

If we lose out because they happen to get the 1C they want then so be it, but not at least putting the offer out there would be a mistake.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Blues fans seemed comfortable with a deal around Tatar/Nyquist, Sproul, Svechnikov, and a 2nd. You can scream overpayment all you want, but I would do that deal in a heart beat. And he'd probably re-sign.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
That's the word that scares me though.

He'd be our best defenseman by a country mile and would elevate us to probably being the 2nd best team in the east definitively. Getting all those minutes, opportunities, and being THE guy in a destination city. I don't see why re-signing him would be difficult. But certainly there's always that risk.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He'd be our best defenseman by a country mile and would elevate us to probably being the 2nd best team in the east definitively. Getting all those minutes, opportunities, and being THE guy in a destination city. I don't see why re-signing him would be difficult. But certainly there's always that risk.

Detroit is a destination city, now?

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
This is from 30 thoughts

3. Here’s what I understand Lightning GM Steve Yzerman is looking for: a young player who is under team control for some time. He has enough contractual concerns over the next few years that he doesn’t need any more.

He can’t take on money without sending it back. (Some other execs speculated he might try to package Matt Carle with Drouin.) That’s why, as good as Kevin Shattenkirk is, it’s not an easy fit for Tampa, because he’s going to get paid big-time in 2017 and you can’t extend him until July 1 at the earliest, assuming he is even willing to sign.

Among the needs are a right-shot defenceman or a forward with some edge, which is why Robby Fabbri’s name is out there. At AHL San Diego, Anaheim has the league’s number two scorer among defencemen and rookies, Brandon Montour, a right-hand shot. The Ducks could also consider Nick Ritchie. On paper, either move makes sense. In practice, who knows?

So three way trade:

Tampa:
Martha/Svechnikov + Marchenko

STL:
Drouin + Quincey (+ Det 1st if Drouin alone isn't enough)

Det:
Shattenkirk

That work cap wise? Not sure. Just spitballing.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think the most realistic option for the Wings is Vatanen as I think everyone else will either cost too much in FA or will take more assets than Kenny would like to give up for a rental.

Here's my proposal.

:wings
Vatanen
Cogliano

:ducks2
Nyquist
Quincey/Smith/XO
Jurco

I can only imagine a line of
AA-Helm-Cogliano

If we don't re-sign Helm, Cogliano is his replacement and AA would replace Nyquist.

I'd prefer not to mess with the other pieces and just do Nyquist/Tatar for Vatanen, but I'd do that trade. Cogliano would be good, and sending Smith/KFQ the other way would obviously be nice. Can't imagine Jurco has any value.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
This is from 30 thoughts

So three way trade:

Tampa:
Martha/Svechnikov + Marchenko

STL:
Drouin + Quincey (+ Det 1st if Drouin alone isn't enough)

Det:
Shattenkirk

That work cap wise? Not sure. Just spitballing.

I imagine Tampa would like more value and I don't know why St. Louis would do that as they want to get better now.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
We're kind of crippled as far as the cap goes from making a trade this season. We don't have much room to move stuff around. If we could find a way to dump big rig and Howard, that would free up 9 mil. It's not realistic though.
Obviously, Richards walks next year, so there's some relief. I'm not sure what the cap is supposed to be next year. I say go all in for Big Buff if we don't acquire him before the deadline.
I'd be OK with letting Helm go if there is a cheaper option available.
This might be a stupid question since I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to the CBA, caps, contracts, etc... but if we were to make an offer on Buff, can we offer a contract that is "middle loaded" in order to stay cap compliant next season?

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I imagine Tampa would like more value and I don't know why St. Louis would do that as they want to get better now.

Figured it came down to the Blues wanting to keep Shatenkirk, but they can't afford him. Pretty sure also bolts fans are gonna be disappointed with their return on Drouin.

But yeah, having read the main trade board, lots of blues fan are saying they wouldn't take RHN for Shatenkirk, so this is probably nowhere close :laugh:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm on the fence with this one. I think when hovering in wild card territory, shelling out assets for a rental is not the greatest idea. However, if the team is playing well and has a grasp on home ice advantage to start the playoffs paying a sensible price for a rental could pay off.

IMO, they have an abundance of assets they could put together for a deal, especially on D. Marchenko, Ouellet, Sproul and Jensen all lose waiver exemption next season. Marchenko seems to be the only one with a clear future on the big club. There may be another spot open for next season, but a smart Red Wings fan shouldn't be so quick to rule out Holland re-signing Quincey... They also have Russo climbing the ladder, and Hicketts will be joining GR next season. Rather than risk losing one or more of Ouellet, Sproul or Jensen on waivers next fall, the Red Wings might as well try to use one of them to get some help now.

I would love for Holland to find a way to bring Byfuglien over and then get him signed up long term. He'll give the Wings some size and toughness they can use on the wing or back end, and a huge boost on the PP.

Not sure what it would take. I'd package Smith with Ouellet/Sproul and some picks to start. However, I'm sure there will be a huge bidding war for Big Buff. I'm also not sure how the Wings would fit him under the cap...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad