Armchair GM Draft, 2019 (Discussion Only)

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'm about to place my pick guys...as was suggested, will put in my pick, then do my write up later in the day, however, the next person up is team Hab Hater...is that his actual screen name? If not, how do I alert him he will be on the clock next?

Anyways, hopping over to the picks threads to put in mine.

Oh...and damn you two GM's who selected Yzerman and Haske before I could get ahold of them!! :laugh:

EDIT: Nevermind...I see that it is BMC. I can alert him then.

Well, see, I knew he wouldn't make it back to me. :D

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It is amusing that I started a mini goalie run, though. :laugh:

Someone was going to do it.

Truth be told, a goalie was my other call.

As I said, 2 clear cut top defensemen, and 3 clear cut top goalies . . . once one went, the others were going immediately.

Same with the forwards. Mario and Gretzky were one level. Jagr and Sid were another. Now, as @td_ice noted, you're on to the next level, where there are plenty of fish in that sea.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Noooo I wanted Roy

AggravatingAlarmedAcornwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
My pick is in, St. Patrick it is.
I would have picked The Dominator first, but SOMEBODY round here got ahold of my notes....

At any rate, nothing like a multiple Stanley Cup winner in net to start out a draft with.
Man, if only real teams nowadays can know who exactly would be the next Stanley Cup/Vezina winning goalie on draft day... :nod:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I can't see anyone late in the first round not thinking goalie

It'll be interesting....a lot of this depends on what people are using as criteria for ranking teams.

IMO, goaltender is the one position that has markedly improved in the last 30 years. I truly believe that the 15th best goaltender today, if magically placed onto a 1985 roster, would be top 5.

So, will people look down on a successful (team-wise) goaltender from the 80's with a +3.00 GAA and sub .900 Save %, in comparison with a more recent goaltender who didn't win anything but has a 2.50 GAA and +.900 save %?

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
It'll be interesting....a lot of this depends on what people are using as criteria for ranking teams.

IMO, goaltender is the one position that has markedly improved in the last 30 years. I truly believe that the 15th best goaltender today, if magically placed onto a 1985 roster, would be top 5.

So, will people look down on a successful (team-wise) goaltender from the 80's with a +3.00 GAA and sub .900 Save %, in comparison with a more recent goaltender who didn't win anything but has a 2.50 GAA and +.900 save %?

Kind of harkens back to the baseball ATD with how you would evaluate the modern hitter with high slug/low avg vs old timey hitters with high avg/low slug

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Yup which I think after the big 3 goalies, I wouldn't pick a goalie for a while.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Kind of harkens back to the baseball ATD with how you would evaluate the modern hitter with high slug/low avg vs old timey hitters with high avg/low slug
Yeah, definitely. And today's batting approach, tons more strikeouts than back in the day. Different mindset, also the plethora of today's fireballers on the mound.

Always difficult comparing decades. I try to do the "how they were relative to their peers" approach.

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Most likely.

And judging by the first round, I can tell everyone did their homework.

Good stuff.

I think the real fun is going to be when we get to the point of picking our 3rd and 4th liners and 3rd pair defensemen.

Reactions: td_ice

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I think the real fun is going to be when we get to the point of picking our 3rd and 4th liners and 3rd pair defensemen.

I think BMC got a jump on this part...?

Is that Avery pick real?

We need to keep the Pick Only thread as clean as possible to help with the ease of navigating this draft. I don't mind any joking, ribbing, and general tomfoolery, but keep it in the Discussion thread.

Reactions: sarge88 and td_ice

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Yes, this should be fun.

I was telling @td_ice that while my hockey fandom only goes back to 1993-94, I was fortunate enough over the years to come to know several longtime hockey fan posters who helped educate me and helped me appreciate players and teams not only from that era (at the time, I was just some kid rooting on ANYONE who wore my team's sweaters...in this case, the TB Lightning), but of seasons and eras prior.

And, many of the people I learned from held grinders and "unsung" heroes in high regard...and that sorta rubbed off on me as well.
The muckers, grinders, blue collar guys....but still, those same players that winning teams ABSOLUTELY needed to have.

The better bottom six types did more than just crash n bash though...they played psychological games with not only the opponent, but the refs as well...gamesmanship if you will.
They even chipped in scoring, particularly if you could match up a line full of guys that worked really well together...why, they could be just as effective as many teams' TOP lines in terms of production too.

So yea, later rounds when people are picking up their bottom six guys and defenders, thanks to my hockey education over the years, I hope to shine there! :nod:

Reactions: sarge88

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Agreed!

I think that is really where the write-ups will be needed. The top players?, I still like seeing people do the write-ups, and I read everyone. But as we go, they will be more important, for educating us on that player fully, and the rationale behind it. How it makes the team better.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Also think, if a team can pull it off, to be able to get a real life line together would be neat. Nothing like a real world chemistry to point to.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
This may be a silly question, but will ask it anyways...

When we do write ups, are those going to be put in with the picks?

For instance, my pick for Patrick Roy is obviously announced in the Picks Thread.... do I go in and edit my post to include his write up there?
I noticed some people did do mini write ups and accolades there...if so, I may follow that template.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I think BMC got a jump on this part...?

Is that Avery pick real?

We need to keep the Pick Only thread as clean as possible to help with the ease of navigating this draft. I don't mind any joking, ribbing, and general tomfoolery, but keep it in the Discussion thread.

THIS ^

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
This may be a silly question, but will ask it anyways...

When we do write ups, are those going to be put in with the picks?

For instance, my pick for Patrick Roy is obviously announced in the Picks Thread.... do I go in and edit my post to include his write up there?
I noticed some people did do mini write ups and accolades there...if so, I may follow that template.
Yeah, when you do your writeup, post in the same post as your announcement post.

Reactions: TropicalFruitGirl2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->