Speculation: Armchair GM and Rumors Thread XXII - FLAMES RELATED (Matt Stajan Appreciation inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I'll also be happy when Stajan is gone. Good guy but I hate that contract. And I just want to forget the Phaneuf trade, don't need that last piece hanging on.

Phaneuf might get a ton of flack but jesus we got fleeced on that deal.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I'll also be happy when Stajan is gone. Good guy but I hate that contract. And I just want to forget the Phaneuf trade, don't need that last piece hanging on.

Phaneuf might get a ton of flack but jesus we got fleeced on that deal.

Yeah we really did get hosed on that trade. When it comes down to it, I'd probably still have had Dion on the team rather than Matty. I like the guy, great in the room and community, but that trade....no words can express how angry I was when I found out that the trade happened.

moon*

I never understand the Stajan hate. Sure he doesn't have the best contract but he is far from the worst contract on the team (Wideman, Smid, Bollig) and yes he isn't the best player but again far from the worst (Ferland, Bollig, Hathaway argubly Bouma and Chiasson).

When Stajan wasn't there and Jooris was the 4th ine center the 4th line was a tire fire. Stajan has shown an ability to at least not have the line be awful when playing with bad linemates like Ferland, Bolling etc. on the 4th line.

The closest I could see to him holding a guy back was Grant but that seemed to be a team decision more than a roster spot issue. Any other guy in the AHL did not deserve at all to be playing ahead of Stajan.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yeah, I remember going through the steps of denial while learning about that trade.

"Well it won't be THAT bad if Hagman is a 2nd liner, and White is a top 4 D".

Funny how both times Phaneuf has been moved it's been for a bunch of crap and spare parts.

Stajan isn't my favorite player, and his cap hit does annoy me, but if he's given better linemates this year I'm hoping he bounces back a bit.

Aug 21, 2014
I don't like Stajan's contract either. 3.0m+ for a 4C that cant win faceoffs. That's not good cap management.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Meh he's decent in a small role. Literally nothing he has shown me he's fit for anything more then 8-10 minutes on the fourth line. The guy doesn't produce, there's no room for that in the modern game.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
In hindsight, I'm glad Dion was traded. Just not for that return.

I like Stajan. I don't like the contract, but also don't think the Flames have anyone in the system who can replace him at the 4th C right now.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
I think Stajan should be moved to wing and given a chance to play with better players. How this is accomplished with the current roster though may be an issue. Just think there is more to his game than how he had been used under past coaching staff, maybe the new coach will use him better?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I think Stajan should be moved to wing and given a chance to play with better players. How this is accomplished with the current roster though may be an issue. Just think there is more to his game than how he had been used under past coaching staff, maybe the new coach will use him better?

I hope for that too. Sign Spaling to be the 4th center. He'd likely come cheap.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
With two more years left at a shade over 3M, Stajan is already arguably the worst contract on the Flames as the rest (Wideman, Smid, Engelland) expire after the upcoming season. And since that makes him untradeable more or less, no choice but to appreciate him and hope Gulutzan can get more out of him.

Will also be happy when the Stajan era is done as a 3.125M cap hit for a largely mediocre at best 4th line centre is simply horrible cap management.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If Stajan was signed for 1-1.5 there would be less issues, I think we can all agree.

Yup, Staj at 1.5 is absolutely fine for what he brings at this stage in his career.

I'd also love for him to stop taking stupid penalties. He's the biggest culprit of that on this team.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
If Stajan was signed for 1-1.5 there would be less issues, I think we can all agree.

Well yeah, but then there's still the issue of his mediocre play. Suppose if he was only signed for that much then it would be easier to try another player at that position.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

- Stajan was our "1C" at the time of that contract. However it was expected he would not be there long. He was "overpaid" to get to the floor at the time as well.
- Backlund was still injury prone at that time. That mesh in his abs did wonders for him durability wise.
- Monahan was not expected to be much more than our 2/3C at the time, an injury to Stajan and Backlund meant he was thrown to the wolves. If someone can dig up those player charts... oh boy.

His contract won't be that bad if we can move him into our top 9 as a RW.

Worst contract? IMO Smid and Wideman are worse. And if that's the worst we have contract wise, managerial wise we are in good hands. Sure, he's a tad over paid, but I appreciate his contributions.

moon*

With two more years left at a shade over 3M, Stajan is already arguably the worst contract on the Flames as the rest (Wideman, Smid, Engelland) expire after the upcoming season. And since that makes him untradeable more or less, no choice but to appreciate him and hope Gulutzan can get more out of him.

Will also be happy when the Stajan era is done as a 3.125M cap hit for a largely mediocre at best 4th line centre is simply horrible cap management.

At least Stajan is still a useful player and can be put out there without a problem. Smid and Wideman are brutal and should not be on the roster at all.

Stajan is a mediocre 3rd liner and very good 4th liner.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I don't like Stajan's contract either. 3.0m+ for a 4C that cant win faceoffs. That's not good cap management.

Faceoffs are not a purely individual stat. They are a team stat because clean wins are uncommon. Centremen who can tie the puck while their wingers get it are the ones with "good" faceoff stats. Between 2009-12 Stajan was a ~51.5% FO guy for four straight seasons. The minute Hartley came on board he became an ~48% faceoff guy for four straight seasons. Does that sound ike a co-incidence?

Aug 21, 2014
Faceoffs are not a purely individual stat. They are a team stat because clean wins are uncommon. Centremen who can tie the puck while their wingers get it are the ones with "good" faceoff stats. Between 2009-12 Stajan was a ~51.5% FO guy for four straight seasons. The minute Hartley came on board he became an ~48% faceoff guy for four straight seasons. Does that sound ike a co-incidence?

Nope I don't see a correlation at all. :sarcasm:

That's quite a perplexing statistic.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Let me put it this way.

If Stajan is on waiver, nobody would pick him up. That makes him a negative player.

That's a guaranty, I'll take a bet with anybody on it.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
But he's not signed for 1-1.5 so it doesn't matter (and frankly he's no better than an average 4C anyway). To be fair, his contract is easier to buy out than most.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
But he's not signed for 1-1.5 so it doesn't matter (and frankly he's no better than an average 4C anyway). To be fair, his contract is easier to buy out than most.

True.

But if his contract is the worst one we have going onto the books next year, we're in a pretty good position.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Trade him to the Flames with 50% retention for a 5th.

Flames acquire a 5th.
Flames acquire Stajan at 1.5m caphit.

Flames win.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Yup, Staj at 1.5 is absolutely fine for what he brings at this stage in his career.

I'd also love for him to stop taking stupid penalties. He's the biggest culprit of that on this team.

When people say a player has negative value, it means that they are not worth their contract.

Stajan at $1.5M has value.

At his current contract he has negative value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad