Speculation: Armchair GM and Rumors Thread XXI EVERYTHING FLAMES-RELATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Apparently Raymond is about to sign a new deal with an NHL team.

I got excited seeing this then realized we bought him out.

It's a lot easier to sign someone who's been bought out because they're already getting paid, you'd only need to offer them a lot less than what you'd usually have to.

That's why guys like Carle or Seidenberg might be able to be picked up for super cheap.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
So if we are looking at FA bottom four LHD options, not a whole lot in free agency left.

Wisniewski
Nakladal
Schultz
L. Schenn

Are the only right shooting D really worth much at this point.

If we aren't picky about which hand, then we get a few more options:

Carle
Seidenberg
Quincy
Grossman
Medvedev
Russell

Gotta imagine outside of Russell all could be had for really cheap. Just going purely off advanced stats as far as I can tell Medvedev looks like a decent bottom pairing option. Ranks well for both offense and defense.

Gonna have to look at each team and see if they have any excess bottom four guys we might be interested in.

Aug 21, 2014
Apparently Raymond is about to sign a new deal with an NHL team.

Ottawa perhaps? He loves Canada and Ottawa loves bargains.

So if we are looking at FA bottom four LHD options, not a whole lot in free agency left.

Wisniewski
Nakladal
Schultz
L. Schenn

Are the only right shooting D really worth much at this point.

If we aren't picky about which hand, then we get a few more options:

Carle
Seidenberg
Quincy
Grossman
Medvedev
Russell

Gotta imagine outside of Russell all could be had for really cheap. Just going purely off advanced stats as far as I can tell Medvedev looks like a decent bottom pairing option.

Gonna have to look at each team and see if they have any excess bottom four guys we might be interested in.

If we can trade Wideman, I wouldn't mind Seidenberg. Other than that I'd just re-sign Nakladal, and run with:

Gio-Brodie
Jokkipakka-Hamilton
Wotherspoon-Nakladal
Smid-Engelland

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Ottawa perhaps? He loves Canada and Ottawa loves bargains.

If we can trade Wideman, I wouldn't mind Seidenberg. Other than that I'd just re-sign Nakladal, and run with:

Gio-Brodie
Jokkipakka-Hamilton
Wotherspoon-Nakladal
Smid-Engelland

Seidenberg was beyond awful last year. Not even an NHL defenseman anymore defensively. Advanced stats seem to point to that as well.

I'm not opposed to Nakladal, but Treliving made it sound like he wasn't coming back.

Aug 21, 2014
Seidenberg was beyond awful last year. Not even an NHL defenseman anymore defensively. Advanced stats seem to point to that as well.

I'm not opposed to Nakladal, but Treliving made it sound like he wasn't coming back.

Shell of a his former self eh? Nakladal probably wants some stability.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I retract my opinion on Medvedev. After talking to a few Flyers fans, apparently he's got some real substance abuse problems, a DUI he's dealing with and while good offensively, made huge boneheaded mistakes defensively from time to time.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Treliving on the Fan this morning.

Some key points.
- Still talking to a few FA's, likely will be depth signings.
- The Stockton team will be very young with a lot of new graduates from the CHL/otherwise. Wants to bring in some veterans/depth guys.
- Talking to Nakladal, but doesn't sound like we're bringing him back.
- Says the right side has depth in Brodie, Hamilton and Wideman. Left handed D seems like more of an area of need.
- Still talking to some teams to see if some things come loose (Trades, etc).
- No real update on Monny/Johnny, outside of that they're working on it :laugh:
Damnit
From his interview, my takeaways are:
- Smid is likely LTIR-bound.
- Engelland is our depth Dman.
- We'll be looking at guys like Legwand/Richards/etc for 2-way deals.
- They'll find a bottom 4D Left hand shooting D for this team to round it out.

You already have a couple of good options, Wotherspoon and Kulak are probably just as good of options as there are in FA right now.

Overall, some surprising statements to me. Engelland is probably of more use to this team than Wideman is at this point. I really don't understand why he is the depth dman, I would assume that means 7th.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Damnit

You already have a couple of good options, Wotherspoon and Kulak are probably just as good of options as there are in FA right now.

Overall, some surprising statements to me. Engelland is probably of more use to this team than Wideman is at this point. I really don't understand why he is the depth dman, I would assume that means 7th.

I'd like to give Kulak and Wotherspoon a try this season with a regular position. Same level as LD as there is out there.
Wideman, I kind of understand, if he reverts back to 2015 Wideman, we're in good shape... if he puts up some points, he'll be trade bait as well.

Engelland, exactly 7D; I call all non-top 6 D depth though :laugh:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Fair enough. But he can shoot a puck. Who else can do that?

Brandon Bollig has a heavy shot.

On a random note... based on quite a loose view of a few former Flames in the last few years...

Why does it seem like NJD does well with our former pieces? (Schlemko, Cammy etc.)
Why does it seem like Avs do meh with our former pieces but acquire more anyways? (Berra, Iggy, Tanguay etc.)
Why does it seem like many of our "good" pieces don't at all with any other clubs? (Glencross, Hudler, Russell)

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Why does it seem like NJD does well with our former pieces? (Schlemko, Cammy etc.)

Because they're good players we undervalued.

Why does it seem like Avs do meh with our former pieces but acquire more anyways? (Berra, Iggy, Tanguay etc.)

Because at this point they're meh pieces and the Avs love meh pieces.

Why does it seem like many of our "good" pieces don't at all with any other clubs? (Glencross, Hudler, Russell)

Glencross and Russell were never all that good. Hudler is being undervalued though, whoever signs him is getting a fine complimentary piece.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Because they're good players we undervalued.

Because at this point they're meh pieces and the Avs love meh pieces.

Glencross and Russell were never all that good. Hudler is being undervalued though, whoever signs him is getting a fine complimentary piece.

Glencross was pretty damn good. He was a very reliable 2nd liner.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Why is this the last item on his list?! Clearly Brad Treliving is not doing the right thing and focusing all his time on getting these two guys signed. It should have been done months ago. This is inexcusable.

Agreed. Kind of ruins those two's summers as well.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Agreed. Kind of ruins those two's summers as well.

Good. If they're turning their backs on the Flames by not signing new contracts on July 1st, then they don't deserve a vacation. If I had my way, they'd be locked in a room until they put pen to paper. Their family could visit once a day.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Good. If they're turning their backs on the Flames by not signing new contracts on July 1st, then they don't deserve a vacation. If I had my way, they'd be locked in a room until they put pen to paper. Their family could visit once a day.

I'd support all parties being locked in a room until the contracts get signed. I like it it. :nod:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'd support all parties being locked in a room until the contracts get signed. I like it it. :nod:

As far as I know, there's nothing in the CBA that expressly forbids Flames fans from kidnapping the parties in question and locking them in a room until the contract is done. I'll give it a second read-through just to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->