Speculation: Armchair GM and Rumors Thread XXI EVERYTHING FLAMES-RELATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Tre saying that it'll be a busy couple. Tremendously excited about this.

Aug 21, 2014
Tre saying that it'll be a busy couple. Tremendously excited about this.

what-you-did-there-bird.jpg

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Highlights from said interview (now in text form): Nichols’ Notes: Treliving expects ‘pretty active couple of weeks’

On goaltending:
  • “We’ll break some news, I guess. I guess it’s been out there for a few days, but we have come to an agreement with David Rittich. And no, we’re not planning on David Rittich solving our goaltending questions, if you will, right here in Calgary.â€
  • “He’ll be coming over for our development camp. We’ll have a chance to get to know him a little bit better, and just really see where it goes. To us, it’s a two-way contract. There’s low risk, and we think there’s some upside to this kid.â€
  • “This signing really doesn’t impact an Ortio, per say. Joni’s contract is up. He’s very much right now part of our discussion in terms of our plan going forward, and a lot of it is going to depend on where we go with the goaltending. I think we’ve talked about it ad nauseum. That’s a critical decision for us this year, of where we go and depending on how depending on what move is made… I think we saw, really over the last couple of years, saw flashes of Joni that he can play at this level. Are we prepared right now to trot him out 65-70 times a year? No. But in the right role, with the right partner, we think that Joni could play a role here. But that’s all things that are going to be determined here in the next few weeks.â€
On Joe Colborne’s contract:
  • “We’re having discussions with his representatives right now. Like I said, I like Joe a lot, but at the end of the day the puzzle has to all fit, and the pieces have to all fit together.â€
  • “I know Joe wants to be here. We’d like to have Joe here for sure.â€
On the upcoming draft, and a potential expansion draft coming next summer:
  • “There’s a lot of chatter and has been for the last couple of weeks.â€
  • “I think the common thought when you look at our team is if there is expansion – and still, that is an if – that all of these goaltenders are all of the sudden, that people are just going to be looking to dump goaltenders out. Well, there may be an opportunity where somebody looks and says if we can only protect one, or whatever the case, it may make people available. It doesn’t necessarily mean they’re going to rush them out the door today.â€
  • “The conversations for sure have picked up. I expect that based upon the volume and the depth of the conversations for it to be a pretty active couple of weeks.â€
  • “I think we’ve positioned ourselves well going into the draft with the number of picks that we do have, and we’ll see if that gives us some opportunities to do some things. So lots of talk, and we’ll see where it gets to over the course of the next couple of weeks.â€
  • “I think we’ve got a pretty good handle right now of what teams are looking for, probably in a 30,000-foot view in terms of positional needs or where people are at financially, and what contracts they have either coming up or need to get done. So you have a pretty good idea, and now you’re drilling into and talking names. You’re talking particular fits. That’s really where the a lot of the lion’s share of work is. At the end of the day, it takes two to make a deal. You’ve got to have something they want, they’ve got to have something you want, and there’s got to be a fit both from a positional situation, from a financial situation, and so that’s sort of where you spend a lot of the time.â€
  • “I had conversations this morning with teams going back on things that we had talked about 16 months ago. So you stay close to those things. When a dealhappens, every deal has got a different incubation period. It may be something that moved quickly, but in most cases I would say, they’re things that you’ve talked about for weeks, if not months.â€

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Thank you Calc!

Treliving says a lot of nothing here, but I do think it is interesting that they intend on keeping Ortio in the fold, and would indicate as we all already imagined that the Flames are chasing a starter.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
You think he's going to replicate his 17% shooting percentage and his late season tear and then improve on it?

Those are not odds I would bet on.

I don't think he will need to. I have been sheepish on Colborne for a long time but based on the way our roster shakes out right now there is a very good chance he ends up flanking Bennett. I think on a line with Bennett we could see Colborne replicate the season he just had.

On the other hand he could end up doing 3rd line duty and settle in somewhere around 35 points.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
I don't think he will need to. I have been sheepish on Colborne for a long time but based on the way our roster shakes out right now there is a very good chance he ends up flanking Bennett. I think on a line with Bennett we could see Colborne replicate the season he just had.

On the other hand he could end up doing 3rd line duty and settle in somewhere around 35 points.

Hope the cap hit is under $2.5 Mil per though

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Fair enough, I'm just curious as to how the roster is going to fill out.

Assuming Bennett and Colborne become frequent linemates, it means we have

Gaudreau-Monahan-?
?-Backlund-Frolik
?Bennett-Colborne
?-?-?

With some combination of Stajan, Bouma, Ferland, Shinkurak, Bollig, Jooris (assuming qualified), and an outside shot at Raymond getting a shot at rebounding under a new coach.

Ignoring the latter two for a moment, I think I like the idea of Ferland going with Bennett and Colborne, and Shinkurak going with Backlund and Frolik.

Which gives us a top 9 of:

Gaudreau-Monahan- ?
Shinkurak-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Colborne

And then some combination on the 4th line. I guess an argument can be made to bump Shinkurak or Frolik to the top line and then slide Bouma on the third line, but I still think we need another legit top six winger, preferably RW.

One of Hudler, Perron, Boedker, Brower, Nielsen from the B Tier of Free Agents, as I'm not sure we have the cap room for an Okposo or Lucic.

Could even look at a C Tier Free Agent like PAP.

I still would love Andrew Shaw via trade, or someone like Killorn (if priced out of Tampa, unlikely), or some other RFA we might be able to snag via trade.

And I still wouldn't mind a McGinn, Helm, Gaustad, Spaling, Chimera, Matthias on a cheap one year deal to help our bottom six and our PK in particular.

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Fair enough, I'm just curious as to how the roster is going to fill out.

Assuming Bennett and Colborne become frequent linemates, it means we have

Gaudreau-Monahan-?
?-Backlund-Frolik
?Bennett-Colborne
?-?-?

With some combination of Stajan, Bouma, Ferland, Shinkurak, Bollig, Jooris (assuming qualified), and an outside shot at Raymond getting a shot at rebounding under a new coach.

Ignoring the latter two for a moment, I think I like the idea of Ferland going with Bennett and Colborne, and Shinkurak going with Backlund and Frolik.

Which gives us a top 9 of:

Gaudreau-Monahan- ?
Shinkurak-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Colborne

And then some combination on the 4th line. I guess an argument can be made to bump Shinkurak or Frolik to the top line and then slide Bouma on the third line, but I still think we need another legit top six winger, preferably RW.

I think your lines look accurate for the start of the season for sure. I think though that management is really grooming Bennett to be 2C and we see him cement himself there at some point this season, and Backlund bumped to 3rd line, possibly with Frolik.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The Colbourne-Backlund-Frolik line was really good at the end of the season. The Ferland-Bennett-Shinkaruk line looked good too. We need a top like RW.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think your lines look accurate for the start of the season for sure. I think though that management is really grooming Bennett to be 2C and we see him cement himself there at some point this season, and Backlund bumped to 3rd line, possibly with Frolik.

Yeah I see it as a 2A and 2B sorta thing. The difference between a second and third line on really good teams isn't as huge anymore.

Teams have to be able to rely on the ability to roll 3 lines and the 4th line can't just be dead weight anymore.

The Colbourne-Backlund-Frolik line was really good at the end of the season. The Ferland-Bennett-Shinkaruk line looked good too. We need a top like RW.

That Combo works for me too. I was just thinking more of a big bodied cycle line on the third line. In both scenarios we still need Ferland to take a step forward this year.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Would the following trade even make sense from a needs perspective?

Calgary
Bouma + Jooris' rights + ?

SJS
Wingels + Reimer's rights

Reduce our F corps contracts, move excess LW to RW, get first shot at Reimer. Also, what would we need to add to balance the value? I was thinking late pick or something like Gilmour or Hickey.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Would the following trade even make sense from a needs perspective?

Calgary
Bouma + Jooris' rights + ?

SJS
Wingels + Reimer's rights

Reduce our F corps contracts, move excess LW to RW, get first shot at Reimer. Also, what would we need to add to balance the value? I was thinking late pick or something like Gilmour or Hickey.

I could be out to lunch but I'm not sure why the Sharks would move Wingels? They really like him.

Not to mention, I'm not sure they want to add Bouma's cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->