Speculation: Armchair GM and Rumors Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Would you guys move #6 and our 3 seconds for #3?

I would. I think we have enough prospects on the shelf to sacrifice this year's crop for an elite winger.

Though I think 2 2nds and one of those prospects that doesn't fit into our plans could be enough

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Would you guys move #6 and our 3 seconds for #3?

With zero hesitation.

The draft is weaker from the second round and onwards. And not only has Treliving acknowledged that, but others (Burke+Conroy) have said the 2nd rounders are in play.

But it seems like the Blue Jackets want something with a little more substance, i.e. a more established player.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
With zero hesitation.

The draft is weaker from the second round and onwards. And not only has Treliving acknowledged that, but others (Burke+Conroy) have said the 2nd rounders are in play.

But it seems like the Blue Jackets want something with a little more substance, i.e. a more established player.

Mason Raymond's established...

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I thought about Hartnell as well, but another roster player would need to go back as well, maybe raymond/bolig/Stajan. But yeah that contract seems a little on the long side

Why not Bouma? He's overpaid for what he does, but he saves the Jackets cap space while creating a small amount of cap space for the Flames over the next couple of years (in comparison to the league minimum player who could replace him).

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I would. I think we have enough prospects on the shelf to sacrifice this year's crop for an elite winger.

Though I think 2 2nds and one of those prospects that doesn't fit into our plans could be enough

Possible, but I think CBJ needs to shed cap. The only way we can do that while meeting a need/not killing our own salary cap I think is either to take Bobrovsky or Hartnell. Both of which can be problems really fast with Gio, Mony and JG's contracts coming up soon.

I really like the idea of Hartnell. But age and money are the biggest concerns for him as at this time IMO. The Bouma idea is interesting, but I'd be interested to shed players as well and I'd want to see if that's possible.

I wonder if Raymond + Ferland + pick would be enough to garner some interest (probably not). Same ish salary, both LW but easier to bury the salary if needed. I wanted Hartnell to mentor Ferland... but I'm sure many other players can learn from Hartnell and elevate their game other than Ferland.

I suddenly have an odd feeling that management wanted something similar to what Hartnell offers, out of Bollig.

I wouldn't target the 3OA. I think CBJ needs it too much to deal with their cap. (Are they a internal cap team?). I think the only way anyone prys that 3OA from them is if they take on David Clarkson.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yeah, Gillies is exempt. Still somewhat unclear on Shinkaruk and Poirier; seems like they'll be exempt, which if true, would leave the Flames in a pretty good situation upfront.

They can meet the forward requirement easily (Bouma+Stajan) but not the defencemen part. But that too can be easily rectified with Engelland or Jokipakka getting an extension.

When it comes to acquiring a goalie:
Treliving: Please sell me a goalie. I’ll pay anything.
Horst: Isn’t this a happy coincidence! You are desperate to buy, and we are desperate to sell!
Treliving: Desperate, eh? Advantage…Treliving!

Acquiring a young(ish) goalie through a trade, like say Neuvirth, Kuemper or even Andersen/Gibson just became a whole lot easier. If Ward re-signs in Carolina, Reimer becomes even cheaper to sign. If however Sutter's spirit possesses Treliving for a while and they focus on a veteran, then the Penguins basically have to give Fleury away (unless he agrees to waive his NMC for the draft).

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
So with the clearer rules, who do we have to protect?

1. Gaudreau
2. Monahan
3. Bennett
4. Backlund
5. Frolik
6. Shinkaruk? He'd have more than 2 pro seasons I assume?
7. ??? - Ferland/Colborne/Grant/Bouma

1. Giordano
2. Brodie
3. Hamilton

1. New goalie

For the rules around whether Shink would be exposed, I would imagine these rules come into effect as of the date you'd have to submit your protection list? Meaning Shinkaruk would have played 3 seasons in his 20's by then.
He turned 20 October 13th, 2014, so spending the 2014-2015 season in Utica is 1. 2015-16 in Van/Cal is 2, next year in Cal is 3. Do I have that right?

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yeah, Gillies is exempt. Still somewhat unclear on Shinkaruk and Poirier; seems like they'll be exempt, which if true, would leave the Flames in a pretty good situation upfront.

They can meet the forward requirement easily (Bouma+Stajan) but not the defencemen part. But that too can be easily rectified with Engelland or Jokipakka getting an extension.

When it comes to acquiring a goalie:
Treliving: Please sell me a goalie. I’ll pay anything.
Horst: Isn’t this a happy coincidence! You are desperate to buy, and we are desperate to sell!
Treliving: Desperate, eh? Advantage…Treliving!

Acquiring a young(ish) goalie through a trade, like say Neuvirth, Kuemper or even Andersen/Gibson just became a whole lot easier. If Ward re-signs in Carolina, Reimer becomes even cheaper to sign. If however Sutter's spirit possesses Treliving for a while and they focus on a veteran, then the Penguins basically have to give Fleury away (unless he agrees to waive his NMC for the draft).

Pickard could be an option as well.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
1. Gaudreau 2. Monahan 3. Bennett 4. Backlund 5. Frolik 6. Ferland 7. Shinkaruk

Exposed: Colbourne, Grant, Bouma, Stajan, Frolik, Poirier

1. Gio 2. Brodie 3. Hamilton

Exposed: Jokkipakka, Kulak, Wotherspoon, Wideman

1. Andersen :naughty:

Exposed: Ortio

I'm actually not against exposing Frolik and getting out from the last three years of his contract. Even though I do like him. If Poirier/ Shinkaruk or Colbourne can be protected if need be.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

I'm actually not against exposing Frolik and getting out from the last three years of his contract. Even though I do like him. If Poirier/ Shinkaruk or Colbourne can be protected if need be.

Why expose Frolik though? We do we have to replace him?

Unless he has a completely gawd awful season I don't see the point.

Last edited:

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

So do you want Frolik protected or exposed? You have him as both.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Pickard would be a great option. Might be even able to pry him away for a couple of seconds (35th+54th) and a prospect (Klimchuk/Agostino/Culkin/Morrison/Arnold, etc.) or 35th+Colborne. A real shame about Dallas' first.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Pickard would be a great option. Might be even able to pry him away for a couple of seconds (35th+54th) and a prospect (Klimchuk/Agostino/Culkin/Morrison/Arnold, etc.) or 35th+Colborne. A real shame about Dallas' first.

Colborne might be of interest. Hard to say, as Avs fans want winger upgrades, but sure if Colborne is that much of one though lol.

I still want us to try and snag McGinn in free agency if the deal is right.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
With Wideman not needing to be protected, I also take that to mean he does not count as being exposed (ie expiring contracts do not count as exposed contracts) as they do not have a contract in 17/18

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Seems pretty consensus that we protect these players right?

F
Monahan
Gaudreau
Backlund
Bennett
Frolik
Shinkaruk
XXXXX (Ferland/Poirier/AHLer who impresses next year or FA signing like Brouwer/Perron)

D
Giordano
Brodie
Hamilton

G
Whatever goalie we get

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I'd be all for trading up to 3 or 4. Puljujarvi and Dubois are two of my favourite prospects this draft.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Just having some fun here -

Frolik, Colborne, Bouma, Hickey, 35th pick (to Wild) for Vanek, Scandella, 15th pick

Scandella (to Coyotes) for 20th pick

6th - Nylander, 15th - Jones, 20th - Gauthier

Future Top 6:

Gaudreau-Monohan-Gauthier
Jones-Bennett-Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad