Arizona stopped soderstrom from attending a world junior summer showcase

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona doesn't appear to like the WJCs, I remember a few years ago Christian Fischer was eligible but playing in the AHL so they refused to let him go. I think usually NHL teams let their eligible players playing in the AHL play, Fillip Zadina etc.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Arizona doesn't appear to like the WJCs, I remember a few years ago Christian Fischer was eligible but playing in the AHL so they refused to let him go. I think usually NHL teams let their eligible players playing in the AHL play, Fillip Zadina etc.
Unless the player is a key member of the NHL team, there's no real reason to block them from going. The vast majority of players benefit from the experience.

Unfortunately, Arizona has unqualified analidiots running the show instead of hockey people.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
It says that theyre stopping him because arizona think he will make the NHL this season, which is a weird reason.
Diclaimer: It's Nyström presenting speculation for fact.

What we do know is that he's been stopped, and that Victor will go to their camp. But that's all we know. Montén(like many of us) speculate that it's because they think he's close to playing in the NHL and don't want to disturb that possibility with having him play in the WJSS(which he really doesn't need to attend).

Why were you reading Nyström stuff anyway? Nothing worthwhile has ever come from him.

Reactions: ck26

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Diclaimer: It's Nyström presenting speculation for fact.

What we do know is that he's been stopped, and that Victor will go to their camp. But that's all we know. Montén(like many of us) speculate that it's because they think he's close to playing in the NHL and don't want to disturb that possibility with having him play in the WJSS(which he really doesn't need to attend).

Why were you reading Nyström stuff anyway? Nothing worthwhile has ever come from him.
The source is not from nyström in first case. He took it from hockeynews.se

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
It says that theyre stopping him because arizona think he will make the NHL this season, which is a weird reason.

They main point of the article, is NHL don't give anything back to Swedish hockey for getting the talents.

The thing with Soderstrom is just a side-thing- the article writes about the four 18-year olds writing a contract with the NHL, and then says Soderstrom has the best hope to start playing in the NHL already, which is why NHL stopped him from participating, according to the article. But it doesn't appear like they have digged into this reason much, the main point is just NHL leaching. 'NHL harvest the talent and don't care about SHL'.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
They main point of the article, is NHL don't give anything back to Swedish hockey for getting the talents.

The thing with Soderstrom is just a side-thing- the article writes about the four 18-year olds writing a contract with the NHL, and then says Soderstrom has the best hope to start playing in the NHL already, which is why NHL stopped him from participating, according to the article. But it doesn't appear like they have digged into this reason much, the main point is just NHL leaching. 'NHL harvest the talent and don't care about SHL'.

they get money. The get more money then the NHL gives to Canadian Jr hockey

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
they get money. The get more money then the NHL gives to Canadian Jr hockey

I have no idea what they give back. I just gave a summary/paraphrase.

However, it makes sense Sweden get's more paid than Canadian jr hockey, as the NHL is in Canada, but not in Sweden.

And to look at it more accurately, I don't think "more than Canadian jr hockey" say much. It's rather typical if you read something in Swedish media people don't think NHL pays enough.

But the article isn't about paying. It's about attitude.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

However, it makes sense Sweden get's more paid than Canadian jr hockey, as the NHL is in Canada, but not in Sweden.

And to look at it more accurately, I don't think "more than Canadian jr hockey" say much. It's rather typical if you read something in Swedish media people don't think NHL pays enough.

i know the nhl has an attitude-just read any of my posts when people bash the world championships

the nhl does not play nicely with any other leagues or country. The NHL is why hockey is not growing as fast as other sports because they have the god like complex

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

The other reason why it makes sense for Euro leagues should get more is that CHL teams would only have their players for 2 more years anyway, while a Euro team might have a player for 15.

Common sense.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
i know the nhl has an attitude-just read any of my posts when people bash the world championships

the nhl does not play nicely with any other leagues or country. The NHL is why hockey is not growing as fast as other sports because they have the god like complex

I'm all for a good old boys' club bashing as much as anyone, but how is the NHL any different from other NA pro leagues, say, the MLB? Paying what amounts to peanuts for scouts to sneak out dominant kids from development systems in Central America in order to get the best available talent at the lowest possible price point. There's plenty of teams and leagues that end up being feeder systems to MLB and the MLB clearly doesn't care about them, as long as they can keep providing a place for blue chip prospects to develop.

That "attitude" is more or less limited to North American pro sports leagues as a whole rather than strictly the NHL; the NFL didn't care enough to keep their European experiment going, the NBA has no problem with grabbing the best European and Asian basketball players instead of keeping them in their own leagues and there's always a few top NBA players that skip (or are told to skip) international tournaments such as the World Championships.

Saying the NHL has a "god complex" is just an empty phrase used as a catch-all to pin all of hockey's problems on some vague idea that the NHL is the baddie and solely responsible. The reason hockey isn't growing as fast as other sports is primarily because it's damn hard to play high level hockey in Cameroon where there's no ice and already expensive equipment is even more expensive due to scarcity. We're already seeing the squeeze in hockey hotbeds, where only the upper middle class or higher can afford to play or consume hockey products (TV, attending games, buying memorabilia) on a consistent basis because it's so costly. Compare that to basketball where a team with players from Cameroon, the Congo and Spain were key pieces on a Championship team. With basketball and soccer, the two most popular global sports (IMO), the barrier to entry is whether or not you can find a ball that can bounce. So you get fans from all walks of life, rich, poor and everything in between, who develop a love of the game early.

On the topic in question, if Arizona knows something about Soderstrom that we don't then by all means. It does mean he misses out on a development opportunity. At this point in time we don't know why he's been blocked so it is a bad look but teams understand that is a possibility in the public perception and shouldn't let other people dictate their own decisions.

Last edited:

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm all for a good old boys' club bashing as much as anyone, but how is the NHL any different from other NA pro leagues, say, the MLB? Paying what amounts to peanuts for scouts to sneak out dominant kids from development systems in Central America in order to get the best available talent at the lowest possible price point. There's plenty of teams and leagues that end up being feeder systems to MLB and the MLB clearly doesn't care about them, as long as they can keep providing a place for blue chip prospects to develop..

Come again?
MLB invests heavily overseas; primarily into the Dominican baseball infrastructure where the league spends $125 million on its team's youth academies; which, by consequence, also has a significant impact on local Dominican economies.
Also, until recently, the MLB-Japan posting system allowed Japanese clubs set release fees that could be as high as $20 million a player.

Last edited:

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Come again?
MLB invests heavily overseas; primarily into the Dominican baseball infrastructure where the league spends $125 million on its team's youth academies; which, by consequence, also has a significant impact on local Dominican economies.
Also, until recently, the MLB-Japan posting system allowed Japanese clubs set release fees that could be as high as $20 million a player.

And only the Dominican baseball infrastructure. They pulled out of everywhere else (Venezuela, Cuba, Panama et. al.) and moved all those prospects to the DR. They also sell the MLB dream to kids who drop out of school in order to play baseball, without currently having any sort of regulations requiring teams provide the necessary basic education to make up for it. Only around 2% of baseball prospects playing in the Dominican feeder league will make the majors, and the other 98% are dropped as soon as they lose value. But the scouts will keep selling the dream and kids from poorer backgrounds who see no other avenue to pull themselves from poverty will keep buying it. We can't forget that up until recently these development academies ranged from state-of-the-art to borderline trash heap depending on the investment abilities of the major league team. The bottom line has improved but there's still plenty of exploitation involved in recruiting and housing kids as young as 13 and to pretend otherwise would be foolish.

The Japanese posting system is/was definitely a strong point, but it is more akin to international football, where different leagues and teams within those leagues transfer players for big dollars as long as they're elite players, because countries' top leagues don't vary too far in terms of quality and caliber of play. It makes it easier to cross-compare players as compared to leagues that are a step below (as seen with the MLS as compared to the EPL or La Liga). The NHL has had similar agreements with the Russian SuperLeague (prior to the KHL) and still have agreements with the other Euro leagues (though at a lower dollar value again because the NHL right now is the EPL to the Liiga's MLS both in terms of prestige and monetary value).

My point isn't that the MLB is bad and the NHL is good, but we have to recognize that when you become a high level athlete you become an asset first, especially in North America where the sporting systems are closed (there's no promotion from lower level leagues, you have to buy a team or buy an expansion in order to get into the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL/MLS). Teams will do what they think they need to in order to make sure as many assets as possible pay off in as cost-effective a method as possible, and the NHL is no exception. They are under no obligation to look after other leagues and countries' best interests beyond ensuring that they stay in business in order to act as a place for skilled players to develop until they become ready to play in North America. I may not like it but that isn't unique as an issue to the NHL and it will continue to be a hot topic as players leave other countries; as long as people attach some semblance of prestige to the Pro lifestyle and as long as there's millions of dollars attached to playing in these leagues, while also providing a very comfortable standard of living relative to other locations (such as Venezuela or even Russia), player movement towards the highest level of play will continue to occur.

It's not a "god complex", it's a business decision, which in some respects might be worse. But we shouldn't make up the boogeyman and scapegoat particular targets when we have reasonable explanations and are fully aware that the entire sport development system is by it's very nature exploitative towards the very few high-end athletes out there.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Unless the player is a key member of the NHL team, there's no real reason to block them from going. The vast majority of players benefit from the experience.

Unfortunately, Arizona has unqualified analidiots running the show instead of hockey people.
If the players already going are top players, there is a good chance the best ones will be NHLers. Which players have been better off going than not going, when all the best players go anyway? It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It's like saying going to the Bilderberg Meetings will make you rich and powerful

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
So happy to be following this exiting thread about Dominican baseball infrastructure. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad