News Article: Arizona Coyotes slam door on team playing in Glendale

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
It's more like AEG demanded an out clause, because they know without the Coyotes their pissing up a rope. COG are starting to beg because they know things look very bleak. COG went with AEG because they thought that was their best deal, had nothing to do with the Coyotes having a familiar face to work with. Another group of dumb politicians.

That's my understanding as well.

In fact the Phelps started all but begging just before the approval of AEG.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It's more like AEG demanded an out clause, because they know without the Coyotes their pissing up a rope. COG are starting to beg because they know things look very bleak. COG went with AEG because they thought that was their best deal, had nothing to do with the Coyotes having a familiar face to work with. Another group of dumb politicians.

Agreed. COG was the only city that wanted the Coyotes. COG makes bad deal. COG figures out how to unwind the deal because of IA missteps.

The reality is that the location does not work for the fans of the team, and the economics don't work for the COG. This is what happens in a partnership that does not work for both parties. The long and the short of this situation is that it bought the team many years of time to remain in the valley, good for us as fans.

The posturing going on now is window dressing. My hope is that the team can make a deal with a good long term partner in a better location. Hopefully, all have learned from the process, but the COG days are over, as they should be at this point in time.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

Agreed. COG was the only city that wanted the Coyotes. COG makes bad deal. COG figures out how to unwind the deal because of IA missteps.

The reality is that the location does not work for the fans of the team, and the economics don't work for the COG. This is what happens in a partnership that does not work for both parties. The long and the short of this situation is that it bought the team many years of time to remain in the valley, good for us as fans.

The posturing going on now is window dressing. My hope is that the team can make a deal with a good long term partner in a better location. Hopefully, all have learned from the process, but the COG days are over, as they should be at this point in time.

Do either of you have any proof to back up your claims?

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Perhaps this will help you "understand " :)

Understanding:

An individual's perception or judgment of a situation.
"my understanding was that he would try to find a new supplier"
synonyms: belief, perception, view, conviction, feeling, opinion, intuition, impression, assumption, supposition, inference, interpretation
"it was my understanding that this was free"

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

You both remember that SMG was bidding, as well as Spectracor right?

Spectracor wasn't going to get the bid because of their current relationship with IA. In 2013, SMG had put in a bid that had two different scenarios. One with.... and one without the Coyotes. We did not see the SMG proposal this time around but it would stand to reason that they had something similar in place as before.

Therefore, Glendale could have easily gone with SMG had they wanted to just simply move on from the Coyotes.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Spectracor wasn't going to get the bid because of their current relationship with IA. In 2013, SMG had put in a bid that had two different scenarios. One with.... and one without the Coyotes. We did not see the SMG proposal this time around but it would stand to reason that they had something similar in place as before.

Therefore, Glendale could have easily gone with SMG had they wanted to just simply move on from the Coyotes.

Or they liked the AEG deal better and of the team leaves they're back to square one.

Come on man, you're reading tea leaves laced with pcp here.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I disagree. This was all about the best deal COG could get. It was all about the COG, nothing to do with the Coyotes. They wanted their cake and eat it too.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

This video is just showing off the talking points made by ownership on their take on Glendale. Not really any great piece of journalism on their part.

I disagree. This was all about the best deal COG could get. It was all about the COG, nothing to do with the Coyotes. They wanted their cake and eat it too.

Facts are something you can't disagree with.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Proof of what?? The sky is blue, show me proof!! :laugh::laugh:

Here you go. Wait...

two-dresses.jpg

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Just my opinion, based on the information, and my own experience. Not sure what proof means, video/court of law/civil case? Preponderance of evidence perhaps:)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

We don't know if it was "the best deal" or not. Unlike in 2013, the other two bids were never released to the public. But in 2013 those bids also easily rivaled the 15-year lease agreement they eventually signed. Which showed "the best deal" wasn't the goal. So what's to say it's different now?

We DO know via both the mayor and city manager via public statements that AEG appealed to them in getting the Coyotes to stay.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We don't know if it was "the best deal" or not. Unlike in 2013, the other two bids were never released to the public. But in 2013 those bids also easily rivaled the 15-year lease agreement they eventually signed. Which showed "the best deal" wasn't the goal. So what's to say it's different now?

We DO know via both the mayor and city manager via public statements that AEG appealed to them in getting the Coyotes to stay.

Your right, we don't know if it was the best deal, but I will assume it was. This is all about money for the COG, down to the last nickel. If you want to think different, that is your choice.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Your right, we don't know if it was the best deal, but I will assume it was. This is all about money for the COG, down to the last nickel. If you want to think different, that is your choice.

Actually it's more than just money. Glendale has proven that on many occasions over the years.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I had the opportunity to chat with LeBlanc at the Coyote ticket event yesterday. Said he spilled his coffee when he read the COG letter. Very confident they'll announce something by Jun 24, likely earlier. Still believes GRA will be their short-term/interim home.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Actually it's more than just money. Glendale has proven that on many occasions over the years.

I think right now, if it was just money it would probably be easier since they won't get a better deal from Phoenix and it seems like they really don't want to have to take the Indian's money. There is no way they will get anything passed that requires a public vote either. The main barrier now to getting anything done is ego. The morons on both sides can't put their egos in check long enough to put a deal together that is beneficial to both sides. Best thing that could happen is to have the COG voted out and either Barroway take full control or someone else, preferably from the southwest buy the team.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I had the opportunity to chat with LeBlanc at the Coyote ticket event yesterday. Said he spilled his coffee when he read the COG letter. Very confident they'll announce something by Jun 24, likely earlier. Still believes GRA will be their short-term/interim home.

Was the event busy?

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Was the event busy?
I was there at 9am, gone by 10:30a, maybe 100 people.

Late morning and afternoon (with Smitty joining) appeared to have 1,000+

ALB and ticket reps all said ST's are up year-over-year.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Which COG letter?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Which COG letter?

Jerry Weiers felt offended that Phoenix has been negotiating an arena deal with the Coyotes, so he wrote a letter to the City of Phoenix complaining that Phoenix should have notified Glendale first, before negotiating with the Coyotes. He said this, because he claims that Glendale is currently "negotiating" it's own deal with the Coyotes, and is "committed to keeping the Coyotes in Gila River Arena".

http://archive.azcentral.com/persistent/icimages/news/MayorLettertoGregStanton04282016.pdf

The City Manager of Glendale also wrote a similar letter to Greg Stanton.

http://archive.azcentral.com/persistent/icimages/news/PhelpslettertoPhoenix.pdf

Stanton then wrote his own letter to Jerry Weiers addressing Weiers' bizarre attitude towards the whole situation.

http://archive.azcentral.com/persistent/icimages/news/LettertoMayorWeiersreCoyotes.pdf

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Jerry Weiers felt offended that Phoenix has been negotiating an arena deal with the Coyotes, so he wrote a letter to the City of Phoenix complaining that Phoenix should have notified Glendale first, before negotiating with the Coyotes. He said this, because he claims that Glendale is currently "negotiating" it's own deal with the Coyotes, and is "committed to keeping the Coyotes in Gila River Arena".

http://archive.azcentral.com/persistent/icimages/news/MayorLettertoGregStanton04282016.pdf

The City Manager of Glendale also wrote a similar letter to Greg Stanton.

http://archive.azcentral.com/persistent/icimages/news/PhelpslettertoPhoenix.pdf

Stanton then wrote his own letter to Jerry Weiers addressing Weiers' bizarre attitude towards the whole situation.

http://archive.azcentral.com/persistent/icimages/news/LettertoMayorWeiersreCoyotes.pdf
LeBlanc was referring to the Weiers letter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad