Injury Report: Arizona Coyotes' Martin Hanzal likely done for season

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
This is perfect timing. The team blows so no need for him now. Get it fixed in time to be ready for the start of the season and we have a year to decide whether or not to extend him.

Thor Savage

Oct 3, 2006
Arizona
Finally! I love this move!! I suspect if the Coyotes were actually relevant this season it wouldn't happen but as I've mentioned before I think it's in the best interest of the Coyotes and Hanzal to just call it a season and for once allow Marty to get right. This probably should've happened a month ago but better late than never. I see this as nothing but good news!!

For those that want him traded now, keep in mind there's a good chance this is what he's needed all along. I won't be surprised if next season we see a better Hanzal than we've seen in a few years! I don't think it'll put an end to the missing 10 games a season thing as that's just a by product of being a physical forward but I do think he'll be much more effective in the games he does play in. Again, IMO this is good news!

This is what I am hoping for as well. I really liked the chemistry he and Gagner were developing. And if he can play like he does against Vancouver all the time . . . . WATCH OUT!!!

Feb 12, 2003
It's a no-brainer given where the Coyotes are at. May as well take the surgery and the rehab now and try to get ready for next season. I hope no one else is waiting until the offseason to get a surgery unless they are trade bait. I have no doubt that Hanzal required the surgery, but he effectively removed himself from being trade bait with this. I don't think you can quite use the Kane trade as a comparable to justify he could still be traded either.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Well, the writing is most definitely on the wall now.

jumping-tank-o.gif

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This will be his second surgery though, right? I recall him having something similar done.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
This will be his second surgery though, right? I recall him having something similar done.

Was about to ask the same thing. I definitely think this is #2 and he may have even had a 3rd, smaller procedure between his first and this one.

If this was the 1st procedure for him, I would feel much better about his future, but I also think this is good timing b/c if he is traded at draft, he will have 4 months of recuperation time so the team can give him a clean bill of health. The remaining 2-3 months are strengthening through rehab, which a different team can oversee, if that is the case.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Rest him up. He's young. Might be a healthy awesome player for us next year. Helps us suck sooooooooooooo much more right now. Which is sooooo necessary.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Was about to ask the same thing. I definitely think this is #2 and he may have even had a 3rd, smaller procedure between his first and this one.

If this was the 1st procedure for him, I would feel much better about his future, but I also think this is good timing b/c if he is traded at draft, he will have 4 months of recuperation time so the team can give him a clean bill of health. The remaining 2-3 months are strengthening through rehab, which a different team can oversee, if that is the case.

This is surgery #2 on his back. His first was after either his rookie or sophomore years. Apparently for a herniated disc.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This is surgery #2 on his back. His first was after either his rookie or sophomore years. Apparently for a herniated disc.

The thing about back injuries to athletes is that they almost never get better. They just get managed. This might buy him ten more games a year, for a few years. The price of being 6'6 and putting that much stress on your body.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I feel like I'm being too hard on the guy. It's not like i hate him or anything, i actually really like Hanzal, i just think it's time to move on. He's still a young guy and very effective in his role, but in all honesty, his style of play can be replaced with someone cheaper. Will they be as good as he is defensively? Who knows, but he is not the only shutdown center in the league.

This team needs offense, and unfortunately, that's not exactly Hanzal's forté. His value is pretty high right now, and if we trade him, not only do we free up a lot of money to bring in a goal scorer, but we can roll with Vitale and someone like Gaudet as our shutdown centers without taking a huge step back.

Last but not least, the obvious. He's injury prone. As someone who is only 22 with a serious back disease that limits me, i sympathize with him. Back injuries absolutely suck. One of the worst health problems to have especially at such a young age. I have nothing against him personally, like i said, i really do like him, but i think the best move for the franchise is to trade him now while he still has time on his contract, and while his value is still somewhat high.

tl;dr

1. The potential assets we can get for Hanzal are very intriguing
2. Value still high right now
3. We have players in the system and on the current roster (let alone other players that can be acquired around the league) who are capable of playing his shutdown, defensive role. Like Gaudet and Vitale.
4. Team needs offense more than anything, this would open up financial flexibility to acquire that.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hanzal is a super elite 3C. A luxury. 3Cs are relatively easy to replace. If it happened at the draft no one should be surprised or disappointed.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Gaudet is a 'huge' step down from Hanzal, defensively and offensively.

If we do trade him, it had better be for another up & coming center who has higher upside than Gaudet.

We're already going to be missing Vermette down the middle, which basically leaves us with Hanzal & Vitale as the only centers and we'd be forced to slot Gagner back to center, and quite frankly he's shown he's a much better winger than center.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I feel like I'm being too hard on the guy. It's not like i hate him or anything, i actually really like Hanzal, i just think it's time to move on. He's still a young guy and very effective in his role, but in all honesty, his style of play can be replaced with someone cheaper. Will they be as good as he is defensively? Who knows, but he is not the only shutdown center in the league.

This team needs offense, and unfortunately, that's not exactly Hanzal's forté. His value is pretty high right now, and if we trade him, not only do we free up a lot of money to bring in a goal scorer, but we can roll with Vitale and someone like Gaudet as our shutdown centers without taking a huge step back.

Last but not least, the obvious. He's injury prone. As someone who is only 22 with a serious back disease that limits me, i sympathize with him. Back injuries absolutely suck. One of the worst health problems to have especially at such a young age. I have nothing against him personally, like i said, i really do like him, but i think the best move for the franchise is to trade him now while he still has time on his contract, and while his value is still somewhat high.

tl;dr

1. The potential assets we can get for Hanzal are very intriguing
2. Value still high right now
3. We have players in the system and on the current roster (let alone other players that can be acquired around the league) who are capable of playing his shutdown, defensive role. Like Gaudet and Vitale.
4. Team needs offense more than anything, this would open up financial flexibility to acquire that.

I think it might be hard to find a trading partner with his surgery an all. Most GM's will wait and see how he plays when he returns.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hanzal is a super elite 3C. A luxury. 3Cs are relatively easy to replace. If it happened at the draft no one should be surprised or disappointed.

I would be. I think we are stuck with Hanzal until he returns from injury and proves he is fine. Not sure this is the right time to trade him with us losing Vermette, but I guess it all depends on the other trades GMDM makes.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think it might be hard to find a trading partner with his surgery an all. Most GM's will wait and see how he plays when he returns.

I totally agree. This is back surgery number 2. Hanzal is damaged goods now. Nobody is going to pay anything relevant for him. He might not be the same player and is injury prone in general. Unless we give him away, he will be here for another year or at least until next years TDL.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The brutal truth is that whatever Hanzal brings to the table is severely curtailed by his inability to stay healthy. If he plays to protect his health, he is not effective.

He's the very definition of a depreciated asset.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
You guys are underrating him. Hes actually quite good offensively, especially on the PP. And nobody has mentioned his physicality. Gaudet and Vitale are not like him. The only player we have the system that projects to be like him is McInnis.

The only reason we should be looking to move him is because he misses so many games. 1/4th of the season is huge in the Tight Western Conference playoff races.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
You guys are underrating him. Hes actually quite good offensively, especially on the PP. And nobody has mentioned his physicality. Gaudet and Vitale are not like him. The only player we have the system that projects to be like him is McInnis.

The only reason we should be looking to move him is because he misses so many games. 1/4th of the season is huge in the Tight Western Conference playoff races.
I don't want Hanzal traded, what he brings to the table is not easily replaced and the Coyotes have enough holes to fill as it is. Sure DM should always listen to offers but I don't think he should be actively shopping him. I view the surgery as a good thing and a chance for him to get healthy.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I'm a big Hanzal fan. We're very lucky to have him. As soon as he gets traded, we'd spend years trying to get someone as good. Gaudet and Vitale are not anywhere close. If we're really lucky, Ryan MacInnis might one day get to that level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad