Injury Report: Arizona Coyotes' Martin Hanzal likely done for season

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
From Sarah:

Coyotes center Martin Hanzal is likely done for the season.

He'll have surgery next week to fix a recurring problem with his back.

General Manager Don Maloney said there was only a remote possibility that Hanzal would return to play this season, but that the team expects him to make a full recovery.

Hanzal, who turns 28 on Feb. 20, was a Coyotes first-round pick in 2005 (17th overall). The Czech native has 88 goals, 158 assists in 493 NHL games, all with the Coyotes.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
If it's possible that he would be back for the playoffs, I'm sure there are teams that would be interested for his services (He would definitely be better than Handzus was for Chi, for example) as a top shutdown center. His Selke level play would probably interest a lot of teams in the hunt. Hope he gets well sooner rather than later (by April).

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Love the guy. Still think GMDM should have traded him for a scoring forward /prospect.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If it's possible that he would be back for the playoffs, I'm sure there are teams that would be interested for his services (He would definitely be better than Handzus was for Chi, for example) as a top shutdown center. His Selke level play would probably interest a lot of teams in the hunt. Hope he gets well sooner rather than later (by April).
Unlikely a team will trade for him by March 2, nor should GMDM settle for marginal return he'd likely get for Hanzal at the deadline.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Would it be offensive if I said this makes tanking a lot easier.
It does in the sense they can't move him for a part (JT Miller? Horvat?) that could've helped the team on the ice over the next 2 months.

But, they're still not tanking with Tip and Doan around.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Hopefully this fixes is nagging issues and he can play with a full force and miss no more then 10 games a year. He's been playing with back issues for awhile. I don't think we should trade him yet, see how the surgery goes. But next year, depending on his play and injuries, we should consider it.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Would it be offensive if I said this makes tanking a lot easier.
There's no evidence that it does...they are playing better without him than they have with him. In fact the broken down 50%-75% Hanzal was probably helping the tank. If they indeed expect a full recovery, it's a chip to add in the pot for the hope of next year. Would love to see what a healthy Hanzal could do to this league.

Rink Rage

May 2, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Opponents are also taking the Coyotes less seriously though. I think that's where wins have come from. Six of their last nine games the opposing net minder has been the back up. What does that tell you?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
There's no evidence that it does...they are playing better without him than they have with him. In fact the broken down 50%-75% Hanzal was probably helping the tank. If they indeed expect a full recovery, it's a chip to add in the pot for the hope of next year. Would love to see what a healthy Hanzal could do to this league.

Think it's too early to say that. With Vermette soon to be gone, our center depth will be AHL-level and woefully undersized.

Will it be enough to catch Edmonton/Buffalo? Probably not. But here's hoping it does.

Rink Rage

May 2, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Think it's too early to say that. With Vermette soon to be gone, our center depth will be AHL-level and woefully undersized.

Will it be enough to catch Edmonton/Buffalo? Probably not. But here's hoping it does.

I know they just lost Taylor Hall, I think you cans still catch Edmonton. They're looking better now still.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I liken this to when Gaborik had surgery to fix his nagging groin injury a few years back. The Rangers acquired him the year after and he jumped back up to his higher performance levels before the injury kept resetting in.

Maloney alludes to this being a recurring issue that has never actually been fixed so this season is the perfect time to shut him down and get the corrective surgery. Trading him now would be a mistake. His value has probably gone down considering all his injury concerns; so a chance that he can play closer to 100% of his level hereafter and remain in the lineup for more than 3/4 of the season each year for however many years he has left in his prime would be worth more to the Coyotes I'd think than what they can get on the market.

As he's just turning 28 in another week, he'd be a good veteran presence to keep around and he should be able to put in another few years of good production before he starts to slow down due to age.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
In the end, I'll settle for StroMarner and 10:1 raw odds of bagging McDavid. But I dare to hope still, haha.
The draft seems to have moved from 2 to 3 categories now:

A - McEichel
B - Hanifin, Strome, Marner (hope we stay here).
C - Rest of the 1st round.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hopefully this fixes is nagging issues and he can play with a full force and miss no more then 10 games a year. He's been playing with back issues for awhile. I don't think we should trade him yet, see how the surgery goes. But next year, depending on his play and injuries, we should consider it.

That's how I feel also.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
This will break the heart of the girl who sits next to me at games (she wants to have his babies) but this is good for the tank.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The draft seems to have moved from 2 to 3 categories now:

A - McEichel
B - Hanifin, Strome, Marner (hope we stay here).
C - Rest of the 1st round.

Hah, for me I'd go with:

Zeus Level (generational) - McDavid
Hercules Level (franchise superstar) - Eichel
Odysseus Level (normal #1 overall) - Marner, Strome, Hanifin
Aeolus Level (normal top 5-10) - Barzal, Zacha, Crouse, Werenski, Roy, Kylington, Konecky, etc (no particular order)

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Hah, for me I'd go with:

Aeolus Level (normal top 5-10) - Barzal, Zacha, Crouse, Werenski, Roy, Kylington, Konecky, etc (no particular order)
Nice, bonus points for Greek mythology.
In the end, I'll settle for StroMarner and 10:1 raw odds of bagging McDavid. But I dare to hope still, haha.

Same page.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hah, for me I'd go with:

Shane Doan = Sisyphus?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Finally! I love this move!! I suspect if the Coyotes were actually relevant this season it wouldn't happen but as I've mentioned before I think it's in the best interest of the Coyotes and Hanzal to just call it a season and for once allow Marty to get right. This probably should've happened a month ago but better late than never. I see this as nothing but good news!!

For those that want him traded now, keep in mind there's a good chance this is what he's needed all along. I won't be surprised if next season we see a better Hanzal than we've seen in a few years! I don't think it'll put an end to the missing 10 games a season thing as that's just a by product of being a physical forward but I do think he'll be much more effective in the games he does play in. Again, IMO this is good news!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->