OT: Arizona Coyotes Lounge XIV - Life, The Universe and “Marvel Studios kicks DC Comics’ ass.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
You mean in 2018 Honda changed their line up? So as to prevent you from arguing or any debate I have changed my post.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Genesis cwith the V8, Prius, Elantra, Sonata (3 college kids) Volvo S60 Polestar, BMW Z3 3.0i, Volvo CX-9. Being just 5'5" allows me to sit comfortably in the BMW, but remember, history only remembers the tall men. (excepting Napolian)

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Also, the fact that the Hyundai and Kia are so high up on their list alone should be a disqualifier for their observational skills.
I'm sure you have your reasons but I'm surprised you would say that. Personally I think Hyundai/Kia offer some of the best bang for the buck cars on the market, especially when you factor in the great warranty.

I can't defend Kia, but I've had a new Hyundai Kona for a month now, and it's fantastic. I was surprised to read its glowing reviews when I started shopping in that compact crossover market this summer, but I test drove it immediately after its competitors from BMW and Mercedes and it hung right with them. Plus I'd had an 03 Accent (the last new car sold in America with a manual window crank, I think :laugh:) that survived a pretty serious rear ending in 09, and is still running to this day.
Many Kia and Hyundai models are essentially interchangeable. Kind of reminds me of when you could by a Mazda Tribute or a Ford Escape but they were basically the same car. At any rate my experience with them are the same, they're like the new Honda now that Honda's are not really cheap anymore.

Hyundai's offerings have gotten better (as have Kia's, actually) over the past few years, but I still wouldn't put them up in the top echelon of cars - particularly third-row SUVs.
When factoring in price, options and warranty I actually had the Hyundai Santa Fe (and it's Kia counterpart the Sorento) as second on my list. Granted that was 5 years ago so not sure it'd still be the same now but point being I was definitely impressed by the overall package at the time.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I bet the Hellcat is fun to drive:) I had an AC Cobra for 10 years, 700HP Nascar motor, 2500 pounds with me in it. A blast to drive and I ran it on road courses too. I have owned BMW's mostly, an expedition, Honda and VW for my kids. All were good cars in their own way. I'm driving a 335i now with a few bells and whistles:)

Technology has come so far now days, it is really about personal preference when buying a vehicle, hard to go wrong. I travel a lot and I am amazed at the cars I rent from all different manufacturers, all pretty basic, yet all very nice. It wasn't like that 20 years ago.
Dear god I'm surprised you're alive! I would wrap myself around a tree in a car like your old AC Cobra. The 335i is a deceptively quick car, my buddy has one and I've enjoyed driving it a few times. I've never driven one but I've always loved the M3's. I cross shopped them when I bought my Hellcat but the repair bills on those cars scare the hell out of me!

I tend to agree with your sentiment, I think most cars are at least average these days and will last a long time if you take care of them. It's one of the main reasons I focus more on the model and trim than I do the make. Really the only time I care about make is when considering repair costs which can really sky rocket when you get into the brand name cars like Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, etc. Love the premium German makes but they're usually on the bleeding edge of tech which makes their quality hit or miss and that's a scary combo considering the price of their parts!

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Dear god I'm surprised you're alive! I would wrap myself around a tree in a car like your old AC Cobra. The 335i is a deceptively quick car, my buddy has one and I've enjoyed driving it a few times. I've never driven one but I've always loved the M3's. I cross shopped them when I bought my Hellcat but the repair bills on those cars scare the hell out of me!

I tend to agree with your sentiment, I think most cars are at least average these days and will last a long time if you take care of them. It's one of the main reasons I focus more on the model and trim than I do the make. Really the only time I care about make is when considering repair costs which can really sky rocket when you get into the brand name cars like Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, etc. Love the premium German makes but they're usually on the bleeding edge of tech which makes their quality hit or miss and that's a scary combo considering the price of their parts!
I ran the cobra off a few road race tracks, didn't hit any walls:) I drove it on the street a little but it would fish tail in third gear at 100 MPH, kind of dangerous. I ran it at the drag strip, one pass with street tires, 11.31@135MPH, the car was fun. The 335i is a combo car, handles great, stops, rides, hauls 4 people, good mileage, technology is great now days!

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm sure you have your reasons but I'm surprised you would say that. Personally I think Hyundai/Kia offer some of the best bang for the buck cars on the market, especially when you factor in the great warranty.

I have a 2016 Sonata, and it's a great car. Wish it was a V6 instead of a V4, but it still does work. I've taken it on a couple of long road trips, and it's ran just fine. I make sure I take it in when I'm supposed to, and never an issue. I'm assuming their SUV type cars are built the same way and should be reliable also. My friends have always told me that Hyundai's can last forever as long as you take care of them. That's my plan.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
In the market for a three row SUV.

Ruled out the Outlander. Anyone on here have any recommendations?

I don’t want anything luxury either.

We got my wife a 17 explorer XLT nothing fancy about it but premium wheels and the pearl white paint. We absolutely love it. Took it down to my parents place in San Felipe MX and it ran like a dream. Spacious and comfortable, too. Gas mileage is great, but the tank is a tad small.

I’ve driven a Ford F-150 the past 10 years, likely won’t change that. Went with a 15 lariat 4x4 eco boost, with all the bells and whistles and I don’t think I can go back to anything less, unfortunately.

Needless to say I’ve been very happy with Ford products.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
We got my wife a 17 explorer XLT nothing fancy about it but premium wheels and the pearl white paint. We absolutely love it. Took it down to my parents place in San Felipe MX and it ran like a dream. Spacious and comfortable, too. Gas mileage is great, but the tank is a tad small.

I’ve driven a Ford F-150 the past 10 years, likely won’t change that. Went with a 15 lariat 4x4 eco boost, with all the bells and whistles and I don’t think I can go back to anything less, unfortunately.

Needless to say I’ve been very happy with Ford products.

New F150's have plastic drain pans and drain plugs, at least the eco boost ones. If you drop the drain plug, it breaks. Such a poor design. I'd love to buy a Ford but seeing that and the higher insurance because of the aluminum parts scares me off. I try to be smarter with my money these days and don't want to have to buy the super expensive extended warranty just to feel secure with my purchase. Pisses me off because I love the look, ride and mileage of the new F15os. First time one of my techs dropped a drain plug in the shop (from a 2.7L eco boost), I called two Ford dealerships to get one. One was out and the other would only sell me one because he said he was almost out because they go through so many. Unbelievable.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
New F150's have plastic drain pans and drain plugs, at least the eco boost ones. If you drop the drain plug, it breaks. Such a poor design. I'd love to buy a Ford but seeing that and the higher insurance because of the aluminum parts scares me off. I try to be smarter with my money these days and don't want to have to buy the super expensive extended warranty just to feel secure with my purchase. Pisses me off because I love the look, ride and mileage of the new F15os. First time one of my techs dropped a drain plug in the shop (from a 2.7L eco boost), I called two Ford dealerships to get one. One was out and the other would only sell me one because he said he was almost out because they go through so many. Unbelievable.

You obviously know more than I do. I have ford do all the servicing. My insurance actually didn’t change at all from my 13 to my 15?

Knock on wood but I’ve been very fortunate to not have any issues with the fords ive owned. Minus a turbo manifold bolt that was taken care of under the factory warranty.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
You obviously know more than I do. I have ford do all the servicing. My insurance actually didn’t change at all from my 13 to my 15?

Knock on wood but I’ve been very fortunate to not have any issues with the fords ive owned. Minus a turbo manifold bolt that was taken care of under the factory warranty.

Are the 15's Aluminum? I don't remember when they made the switch. When I was asking the guy in the parts department about them he said the timing covers were going plastic too and that people's insurance went up when they went to aluminum because you can't fix aluminum dents like steel. You mostly have to replace the whole panel. I didn't verify that though. The plastic drain plugs I've seen and seen them break. Thankfully you can get them after market now.

097-826-001.JPG

097-826-007.JPG

See those wings? Don't drop it!

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Are the 15's Aluminum? I don't remember when they made the switch. When I was asking the guy in the parts department about them he said the timing covers were going plastic too and that people's insurance went up when they went to aluminum because you can't fix aluminum dents like steel. You mostly have to replace the whole panel. I didn't verify that though. The plastic drain plugs I've seen and seen them break. Thankfully you can get them after market now.

097-826-001.JPG

097-826-007.JPG

See those wings? Don't drop it!

Pretty weak part of it has anything to do with cost savings?

Yes, 15 and on areall aluminum, I believe.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Pretty weak part of it has anything to do with cost savings?

Yes, 15 and on areall aluminum, I believe.

Cost and weight I guess. It's rated to withstand the pressure and temperature of the oil but damn, that just doesn't look like something built to last. Of course not much IS built to last anymore but that scared me off from getting one. I drove the Super Cab STX with the 2.7L and really liked it. Comes with a nice appearance package with 20" rims and you can get it for around $30K which is cheap for a new truck these days. Just can't pull the trigger after seeing that. Gonna probably get another Tacoma soon.

Reactions: SR

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Cost and weight I guess. It's rated to withstand the pressure and temperature of the oil but damn, that just doesn't look like something built to last. Of course not much IS built to last anymore but that scared me off from getting one. I drove the Super Cab STX with the 2.7L and really liked it. Comes with a nice appearance package with 20" rims and you can get it for around $30K which is cheap for a new truck these days. Just can't pull the trigger after seeing that. Gonna probably get another Tacoma soon.
You got scared off by a plastic drain bolt?! I don't think that'd even move the needle for me, especially when we're talking about the best selling vehicle in the world.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
You got scared off by a plastic drain bolt?! I don't think that'd even move the needle for me, especially when we're talking about the best selling vehicle in the world.
It's not just that. That's just one part of the lack of quality/dependability. You'd have to read the whole thread.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I guess it's my own aesthetic that colors my judgment. The warranty on the Hyundai is a world-beater (although I got a 9-year warranty on my Mazda that's at least competitive), for sure. But every time I've sat in and driven a Hyundai or Kia, I haven't enjoyed it much. For me, a car isn't an appliance. It's a capital investment in an age when alternative transportation is becoming more and more prevalent. So when I sit in a car with the idea of driving it off the lot and parking it in my driveway, I have to balance a variety of factors - reliability, overall quality, price, and driving experience are the top four for me.

I did some exhaustive research when I bought my last car. I tried everything in the small sedan class. I was a little predisposed towards Volkswagen and Honda as a previous owner of both, but I made sure to do my due diligence to factor in everything before I purchased. The Mazda was the last car I test-drove, and I only really did it because the Honda dealership next door didn't have the Civic trim I wanted to test drive in stock that day. I was 90% on the way to buying the Honda until I drove the Mazda.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I guess it's my own aesthetic that colors my judgment. The warranty on the Hyundai is a world-beater (although I got a 9-year warranty on my Mazda that's at least competitive), for sure. But every time I've sat in and driven a Hyundai or Kia, I haven't enjoyed it much. For me, a car isn't an appliance. It's a capital investment in an age when alternative transportation is becoming more and more prevalent. So when I sit in a car with the idea of driving it off the lot and parking it in my driveway, I have to balance a variety of factors - reliability, overall quality, price, and driving experience are the top four for me.

I did some exhaustive research when I bought my last car. I tried everything in the small sedan class. I was a little predisposed towards Volkswagen and Honda as a previous owner of both, but I made sure to do my due diligence to factor in everything before I purchased. The Mazda was the last car I test-drove, and I only really did it because the Honda dealership next door didn't have the Civic trim I wanted to test drive in stock that day. I was 90% on the way to buying the Honda until I drove the Mazda.
Mazda doesn't have the name recognition of Toyota, Honda and even Nissan, but I believe they are one of the most under rated vehicles on the road the last ten years.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Mazda doesn't have the name recognition of Toyota, Honda and even Nissan, but I believe they are one of the most under rated vehicles on the road the last ten years.

I'm definitely biased here because I have a bunch of friends and acquaintances who are heavy into the Mazdas on the motorsports side (a few pals who run Miatas in SCCA racing, two guys who are racing in IMSA who started in Miatas, and a couple of guys with Mazda Motorsports who work on the IMSA Prototype effort [Gustavo Yacaman can kiss my ass for knocking Harry out of the lead on Sunday]). They're the ones who convinced me to give Mazda a chance. Their new marketing campaign sucks ("Feel Alive"? Ugh.) but their cars are, like you said, extremely underrated.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Should have stuck with "Zoom zoom zoom".

Even the rebadged and repurposed Ford platforms have had much nicer suspensions and handling, for example, than the Fords. Mazda puts a premium on the driving experience.

There are a few I would not buy, but overall they are good value. People are sometimes put off by the M3 MSRP, but the base M3 comes loaded with things that are pricey options on many other brands.

Have not driven the CX-9 yet, but next time I'm shopping it's on the list.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Have not driven the CX-9 yet, but next time I'm shopping it's on the list.

Quick anecdote - my mom has been a Honda/Acura devotee for over 30 years. She wouldn't buy anything else over that whole timespan, largely because once she finds something that she feels is good, she will stick with it to the exclusion of all else. After I bought my Mazda3, I convinced her to test-drive the CX-5 (she was going to buy another Acura). She got out of that CX-5 with the biggest smile on her face and told me, "I never would have set foot in this car if you hadn't badgered me into it," then turned around and went into the dealership and bought it.

That's the thing with Mazda - they hook people after the test drive, but getting them to a dealership seems like a real challenge for them.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I'm definitely biased here because I have a bunch of friends and acquaintances who are heavy into the Mazdas on the motorsports side (a few pals who run Miatas in SCCA racing, two guys who are racing in IMSA who started in Miatas, and a couple of guys with Mazda Motorsports who work on the IMSA Prototype effort [Gustavo Yacaman can kiss my ass for knocking Harry out of the lead on Sunday]). They're the ones who convinced me to give Mazda a chance.

I'd stopped following sports cars the last couple of years, had to look that up, that's Joest now. Way back, they (among many, many others) used to drive Porsche 962s in the 80s when I got to work the Daytona 24hrs a few times.

Their new marketing campaign sucks ("Feel Alive"? Ugh.)

at least it's better than 'Zoom Zoom'

Should have stuck with "Zoom zoom zoom".

:rant: Arrgh! I wanted to backhand that little whispering kid when they showed that commercial every 10 minutes...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Quick anecdote - my mom has been a Honda/Acura devotee for over 30 years. She wouldn't buy anything else over that whole timespan, largely because once she finds something that she feels is good, she will stick with it to the exclusion of all else. After I bought my Mazda3, I convinced her to test-drive the CX-5 (she was going to buy another Acura). She got out of that CX-5 with the biggest smile on her face and told me, "I never would have set foot in this car if you hadn't badgered me into it," then turned around and went into the dealership and bought it.

That's the thing with Mazda - they hook people after the test drive, but getting them to a dealership seems like a real challenge for them.
It's the name. Put a MB, Audi, Acura, Volvo or BMW badge on it people would heap praise on it and pay thousands more. The CX5 is an absolutely stunning car.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It's the name. Put a MB, Audi, Acura, Volvo or BMW badge on it people would heap praise on it and pay thousands more. The CX5 is an absolutely stunning car.
A friend of mine owns a Mazda dealership in Canada and drives an Audi in AZ. Why do you suppose he made that choice?

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
A friend of mine owns a Mazda dealership in Canada and drives an Audi in AZ. Why do you suppose he made that choice?

Well, like the post said, maybe it's the perception of the brand? None of us here know your friend except you (I presume? Do any of ya'll know him?). So there could be many reasons. Maybe he feels that he wants a "luxury" car that's supposed to be better than Mazda. Maybe he wants to get away from his business and doesn't want to drive the same thing he sees every single day? Maybe he doesn't like Mazda at all?

Is your question rhetorical? Cause I'd like his insight if you have access to it! Might as well get another data point in the discussion here haha. Does he think Mazda is a good car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad