OT: Arizona Coyotes Lounge XIV - Life, The Universe and “Marvel Studios kicks DC Comics’ ass.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Spent the day running around and shopping.

My personal faves were (in order):

Highlander (my god, it was incredible)

Ford Explorer (was pleasantly surprised with this one) . Honestly thought this was the best looking of the three I fell in love with.

CX 9. Clean inside and out. Best tech inside as well.

I felt like the Pilot was too much "Mini van" for me. lol. Anyone got experience with the Explorer (2018 or so)? My Asian gut tells me to stick Japanese, but I really loved how that new Explorer looked. lol

To please everyone on the board, a Kachina logo head will go on the back window.

The Explorer is an excellent vehicle, they're all good. Perform the maintenance as required and every one of the vehicles that have been discussed will easily last you upwards of 200k miles.

Get the one you want and take care of it.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'm somewhat starting the process on researching towards purchasing my next vehicle (my current one is a lease which ends around July 2019). I like the car and may try to buy/negotiate for it, but I want to explore other options as well. Honestly, I only leased it because I wasn't finding a decent option/deal during my last search and wanted to try out a Volvo to see if I like them (I kind of do).

I'll be looking for a sedan (hopefully luxury or at least fully loaded). I'll be looking at new, used, and have also been considering going the auction route (luxury vehicles--I doubt I'd purchase a Honda at auction). I have a while, so I'm not in a hurry (thus the auction possibility). Plus, I always have my 2002 Ranger to fall back on (not that I'd like to take long road trips in it--although it could probably handle it).

After reading the above posts, I might take a look at a Mazda 6. Besides the Volvo and Ranger (mentioned above), I've also driven the following (reverse chronological order): VW Jetta, Kia Optima, a few Honda Civic Hybrids, Jeep Cherokee, Pontiac Firebird, and Chevrolet Chevelle. I can't say I have a fav (or any brand loyalty), but I do think luxury sedans (or what I like to call luxury sport sedans--I gotta have decent power under the hood)

Feel free to provide advice/suggestions publicly or as PMs (not that anyone will remember this post in about a week or so :) )

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don't put a lot of weight on Consumer Reports opinion, but here's there take:

2wq5003.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RemoAZ

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I don't put a lot of weight on Consumer Reports

I think I took pictures of that issue when I was visiting family (for sedans). They aren't the be all end all of reviewing, but at least they can give an idea of what to look for (and rough prices) if you're starting from scratch.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't put a lot of weight on Consumer Reports opinion, but here's there take:

2wq5003.jpg
Following CR's recommendations, I once bought the most boring car ever to be mass produced, the Honda Accord. Their idea of excellence has been very different from mine over the years.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Following CR's recommendations, I once bought the most boring car ever to be mass produced, the Honda Accord. Their idea of excellence has been very different from mine over the years.

My daughter has an ‘04 EX model with the VTEC V6 in it.... even with 120k miles on it, it hauls ass.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

I've owned a Civic, an Accord, and now a Pilot. Boring...yes, but nothing ever breaks and overall satisfied.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I've always liked the Accords (for what they are) although I've never owned one. I always keep it on my list if I don't find something better. So far, I've been able to find something. I guess that's the boring vs. exciting piece. I may consider an Accord this time around. The only drawback is the "oomph" factor, I prefer 5 or 6 cylinder engines (and a fair amount of horsepower)

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I've owned a Civic, an Accord, and now a Pilot. Boring...yes, but nothing ever breaks and overall satisfied.
Toyota gets all the press but if I was buying solely on quality I'd go Honda every time. Just about everything they make is bullet proof! That said the last 5 cars I've bought Honda has never been even close to in the running simply because I can't get over how they are so bland. I hate the idea of spending tens of thousands of dollars and feeling ho hum about it all. I'm a bit of a car guy though so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. If I didn't care at all and just wanted an A to B reliable commuter it'd be Honda all the way!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Toyota gets all the press but if I was buying solely on quality I'd go Honda every time. Just about everything they make is bullet proof! That said the last 5 cars I've bought Honda has never been even close to in the running simply because I can't get over how they are so bland. I hate the idea of spending tens of thousands of dollars and feeling ho hum about it all. I'm a bit of a car guy though so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. If I didn't care at all and just wanted an A to B reliable commuter it'd be Honda all the way!
What are the last 5 cars you bought? What are your opinions on them?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’m about to dump a paid-off, very reliable, very entry-level, very affordable sedan for maybe an upgrade. I’m enjoying the lack of a car payment but hating being 6’1”in a little Korean car. Especially with two car seats in the back.

I’m looking for a combination of larger size, greater comfort and okay value. Thinking about the Chevy Impala. Not paying SUV prices but getting a pretty darn big car.

Thoughts?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I've always liked the Accords (for what they are) although I've never owned one. I always keep it on my list if I don't find something better. So far, I've been able to find something. I guess that's the boring vs. exciting piece. I may consider an Accord this time around. The only drawback is the "oomph" factor, I prefer 5 or 6 cylinder engines (and a fair amount of horsepower)
What about a Kia Stinger?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Both companies went through a phase where they marketed exclusively to the "cars as an appliance" crowd and now they're trying to move away from that. See the new Accord and Camry. I don't consider stuff like the NSX, Type R, or upcoming Supra to be ho-hum but that's just me.

I abused the shit out of my Camry. Didn't take care of it at all when I was in college. Never once did it strand me or develop any problem beyond just a little plastic cracking due to time and the AZ heat. The reliability is a well earned meme at this point. I will always give the equivalent Toyota product consideration as a result, no matter what segment I'm shopping.

I’m about to dump a paid-off, very reliable, very entry-level, very affordable sedan for maybe an upgrade. I’m enjoying the lack of a car payment but hating being 6’1”in a little Korean car. Especially with two car seats in the back.

I’m looking for a combination of larger size, greater comfort and okay value. Thinking about the Chevy Impala. Not paying SUV prices but getting a pretty darn big car.

Thoughts?

Impala is being discontinued. You could probably get a good deal on one. Honestly they lose value so fast you could get a slightly used one for a song.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
What about a Kia Stinger?
Hadn't heard of the model, but will add it to my list for further review/test drive. I'd need the AWD option instead of RWD here in PA (no RWD for me--9 years driving a 400 Big Block RWD Firebird in Iowa was plenty--only ditched it thrice). I'd also need the "beefier engine."

Thanks for the recommendation

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

Infiniti G35 Coupe
Nissan Xterra S
Ford F250 XLT
Dodge Durango RT
Dodge Challenger Hellcat

I have a favorable opinion of all them. The Infiniti had a few quality issues but it was all covered by manufacturer and honestly that's the trade off you accept when you buy a first year car. The Xterra was awesome, never had any issues and it could go on most trails and easily pull medium sized campers with ease. The F250 is a beast of a truck, I bought it specifically to tow and it does it quite well. Horrible gas mileage but that was to be expected. The Durango is super comfortable, feels pretty sporty for a larger SUV, is extremely versatile and it looks awesome. I've had it for 5 years and still no issues (knock on wood). The Hellcat, well that's just on a whole other level. It's soooooo so so fast that it's borderline scary. While it's obviously a muscle car I actually think it's closer to a grand tourer. It's very comfortable, well appointed, loaded with tech yet boasts 700+ horsepower for those long normally boring stretches of back roads in the big western states. I've had it for 3 years and haven't had any issues which honestly surprises me considering I have a 2015 which makes it a first year car and those are almost always riddled with bugs regardless of the brand.

I should add that I typically do all my own maintenance (mostly oil changes) and am pretty diligent about it. I'm sure that has a lot to do with why I've had good luck with all the cars I've bought.

Thoughts?

6'4" here so yeah I feel your pain. I loved the Camaros until I sat in one and immediately thought of that big guy in a little coat Chris Farley sketch. I know you mentioned not paying SUV prices but what about something like a Kia Sportage or Hyundai Santa Fe? They should be among the cheapest of SUV's yet carry excellent warranties making them a good target on the used market. If you want to stick with large sedans, the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger would probably fit the bill too. I haven't looked into them but with Ford recently announcing they're intention to exit the sedan market, you might be able to find some deals on a Taurus.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

Thoughts?

Depending on your budget, I kind of prefer the Euro cars in terms of Sedans (VW, Audi, Volvo, etc.). I'm only 5'11 (but bulky) and they seem to fit me best (my last search was 2.5 years ago). If you want an SUV, you can get decent ones for around the price of a new Sedan (I did like my SUV about 10 years or so ago--except for the gas mileage).

Definitely go used if you decide on an Impala. I saw some 2015s around me for reasonable prices.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Both companies went through a phase where they marketed exclusively to the "cars as an appliance" crowd and now they're trying to move away from that. See the new Accord and Camry. I don't consider stuff like the NSX, Type R, or upcoming Supra to be ho-hum but that's just me.

I agree the Type R is not bland and while I personally don't appreciate the styling, it is nice to see Honda finally put out something that's more exciting than a wet towel. It's a new turn for them (I believe it's only been out 2 years) and hopefully a sign of things to come. I'd LOVE if Honda could put out some high performance vehicles while retaining their legendary quality. I'm not sure they can as part of the quality piece is playing it safe but I sure hope they figure it out! I have high hopes for the return of the Supra but no real comments until it actually comes out. As for the the NSX it's definitely not ho-hum but that's an Acura supercar and cost over $150k. I don't really consider it part of the Honda/Acura lineup anymore than I consider the GT as part of the Ford lineup.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Yeah. I don't go to CR anymore. First of all, there are more trustworthy recommendations these days from The Wirecutter than CR, and second, their automotive section has been so deep in the can for Toyota for the past 20 years or so that I cannot trust their ratings.

Also, the fact that the Hyundai and Kia are so high up on their list alone should be a disqualifier for their observational skills.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Thoughts?

Mazda6 if you can afford it. Mazda3 will work too (get the sedan rather than the hatch, though).

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Mine: Toyota Tercel, Honda Accord EX, Volkswagen Passat, Toyota Matrix, Mazda3.

Toyotas are friggin' washing machines on wheels, unless you get into the performance arena. My Toyotas lasted forever, but they were as inspiring as a clod of dirt. The Honda was a great soldier and had some pep to it besides - I have sufficient admiration for Honda that I almost got the new Civic as my current daily driver. The Passat was fantastic but was a bit unreliable - it was also before Volkswagen went all-in on the idea that Americans don't like exciting cars and dumbed down their entire lineup as a consequence. The Mazda was a revelation from a driver's point of view. I wasn't even considering it until a racer buddy of mine who is part of their IMSA Prototype effort told me I'd hate myself if I didn't at least test-drive it.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Infiniti G35 Coupe
Nissan Xterra S
Ford F250 XLT
Dodge Durango RT
Dodge Challenger Hellcat

I have a favorable opinion of all them. The Infiniti had a few quality issues but it was all covered by manufacturer and honestly that's the trade off you accept when you buy a first year car. The Xterra was awesome, never had any issues and it could go on most trails and easily pull medium sized campers with ease. The F250 is a beast of a truck, I bought it specifically to tow and it does it quite well. Horrible gas mileage but that was to be expected. The Durango is super comfortable, feels pretty sporty for a larger SUV, is extremely versatile and it looks awesome. I've had it for 5 years and still no issues (knock on wood). The Hellcat, well that's just on a whole other level. It's soooooo so so fast that it's borderline scary. While it's obviously a muscle car I actually think it's closer to a grand tourer. It's very comfortable, well appointed, loaded with tech yet boasts 700+ horsepower for those long normally boring stretches of back roads in the big western states. I've had it for 3 years and haven't had any issues which honestly surprises me considering I have a 2015 which makes it a first year car and those are almost always riddled with bugs regardless of the brand.

I should add that I typically do all my own maintenance (mostly oil changes) and am pretty diligent about it. I'm sure that has a lot to do with why I've had good luck with all the cars I've bought.

6'4" here so yeah I feel your pain. I loved the Camaros until I sat in one and immediately thought of that big guy in a little coat Chris Farley sketch. I know you mentioned not paying SUV prices but what about something like a Kia Sportage or Hyundai Santa Fe? They should be among the cheapest of SUV's yet carry excellent warranties making them a good target on the used market. If you want to stick with large sedans, the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger would probably fit the bill too. I haven't looked into them but with Ford recently announcing they're intention to exit the sedan market, you might be able to find some deals on a Taurus.
I bet the Hellcat is fun to drive:) I had an AC Cobra for 10 years, 700HP Nascar motor, 2500 pounds with me in it. A blast to drive and I ran it on road courses too. I have owned BMW's mostly, an expedition, Honda and VW for my kids. All were good cars in their own way. I'm driving a 335i now with a few bells and whistles:)

Technology has come so far now days, it is really about personal preference when buying a vehicle, hard to go wrong. I travel a lot and I am amazed at the cars I rent from all different manufacturers, all pretty basic, yet all very nice. It wasn't like that 20 years ago.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Also, the fact that the Hyundai and Kia are so high up on their list alone should be a disqualifier for their observational skills.

I can't defend Kia, but I've had a new Hyundai Kona for a month now, and it's fantastic. I was surprised to read its glowing reviews when I started shopping in that compact crossover market this summer, but I test drove it immediately after its competitors from BMW and Mercedes and it hung right with them. Plus I'd had an 03 Accent (the last new car sold in America with a manual window crank, I think :laugh:) that survived a pretty serious rear ending in 09, and is still running to this day.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I can't defend Kia, but I've had a new Hyundai Kona for a month now, and it's fantastic. I was surprised to read its glowing reviews when I started shopping in that compact crossover market this summer, but I test drove it immediately after its competitors from BMW and Mercedes and it hung right with them. Plus I'd had an 03 Accent (the last new car sold in America with a manual window crank, I think :laugh:) that survived a pretty serious rear ending in 09, and is still running to this day.

Hyundai's offerings have gotten better (as have Kia's, actually) over the past few years, but I still wouldn't put them up in the top echelon of cars - particularly third-row SUVs.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ

Regarding Accords prior to 2018, the 6 cylinder is the way to go. I wouldn't get a 4 cylinder again. I don't normally buy brand new cars and I hate the look of the 2018's. If they were to grow on me, past and current experience says to get the larger displacement of the two gas turbo drive trains.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Regarding the Accord, the 6 cylinder is the way to go. I wouldn't get a 4 cylinder again.
Many of the four bangers now have turbo. Like Cobra said, so much has changed the last few years. Technology has really changed the car market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad