OT: Arizona Coyotes Lounge XIV - Life, The Universe and “Marvel Studios kicks DC Comics’ ass.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I’d drive an Audi too if I could afford it lol
I was looking at Audis during my last search, but the salesman was annoying when I went to test drive the vehicle and didn't seem to care one way or another about making a sale (or even answering my questions). It was one of the more annoying test drives I've experienced. The car drove well enough but the salesman didn't answer half my questions and they were pretty set on their prices (which were high compared to the other cars I was looking at). I eventually went with a Volvo s60 T6 (FWD), but had to lease instead of buy (I figured that was the best approach anyway to see if I would like the car over time). I love driving it and it's great for long road trips. Even the gas mileage has ended up better than I thought it would. I'm definitely a fan and may buy it (or purchase a used one) once the lease is up. They were also willing to negotiate more than I thought could be done (for a lease); lesson learned. I don't plan on leasing anytime in the next decade or so moving forward, but it was a decent option for me since I wasn't finding anything I liked (I was planning on buying new or used) at the time.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Should have stuck with "Zoom zoom zoom".

Even the rebadged and repurposed Ford platforms have had much nicer suspensions and handling, for example, than the Fords. Mazda puts a premium on the driving experience.

There are a few I would not buy, but overall they are good value. People are sometimes put off by the M3 MSRP, but the base M3 comes loaded with things that are pricey options on many other brands.

Have not driven the CX-9 yet, but next time I'm shopping it's on the list.
An M3 while expensive is a very well rounded car, better then it's contemporary's. M3's are race ready yet still forgiving at the limit versus other cars on the track.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
A friend of mine owns a Mazda dealership in Canada and drives an Audi in AZ. Why do you suppose he made that choice?

Audis are basically Volkswagens on steroids, but owning one gets you plenty of name cachet without the pejorative bro-imagery that often comes with owning a BMW. Like, "I'm not douchey enough for a BMW or pretentious enough for a Mercedes. I'm just a normal everyday rich guy who drives an Audi."

Which is fine, but for me, if I can get German-level performance and Japanese-level reliability in one package that is affordable, I'm buyin' it. Hence, my Mazda. EEMMV.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Audis are basically Volkswagens on steroids, but owning one gets you plenty of name cachet without the pejorative bro-imagery that often comes with owning a BMW. Like, "I'm not *****ey enough for a BMW or pretentious enough for a Mercedes. I'm just a normal everyday rich guy who drives an Audi."

Which is fine, but for me, if I can get German-level performance and Japanese-level reliability in one package that is affordable, I'm buyin' it. Hence, my Mazda. EEMMV.

I test drove an Audi and a VW the last round; the Audi was a much better drive (performance-wise), but the Volvo was better (and more comfortable). Of course I test drove a Jetta Hybrid, so that may not be a good comparison to the Audi. I was pretty disappointed with the Jetta (I had driven one for a few years and liked it--the Hybrid model was also less comfortable than my previous one).

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Well, like the post said, maybe it's the perception of the brand? None of us here know your friend except you (I presume? Do any of ya'll know him?). So there could be many reasons. Maybe he feels that he wants a "luxury" car that's supposed to be better than Mazda. Maybe he wants to get away from his business and doesn't want to drive the same thing he sees every single day? Maybe he doesn't like Mazda at all?

Is your question rhetorical? Cause I'd like his insight if you have access to it! Might as well get another data point in the discussion here haha. Does he think Mazda is a good car?
It was questioning Jake's assertion that the only difference between the Mazda and the others including Audi is the badge. That is just false. Mazda builds good vehicles but they aren't Audi, BMW , and so on.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I test drove an Audi and a VW the last round; the Audi was a much better drive (performance-wise), but the Volvo was better (and more comfortable). Of course I test drove a Jetta Hybrid, so that may not be a good comparison to the Audi. I was pretty disappointed with the Jetta (I had driven one for a few years and liked it--the Hybrid model was also less comfortable than my previous one).

Volkswagen specifically and intentionally "dumbed down" the entire product line a few years ago because, and I'm being dead serious here, their internal research claimed that Americans didn't like "fancy" cars as their daily drivers. So they made their exterior styling more bland, their interiors less polished, and their ride less inspiring.

I owned a VW Passat back in 1999 and it could have passed for an Audi (in fact, the Passat was basically an "A5" in terms of trim and driving style back then - almost indistinguishable from Audi, and sized right between the A4 and A6). I test drove one a year and a half ago, though, and it was like night and day - and not in a good way.

Why a brand would do this to themselves is beyond me, but it killed my love affair with VW basically outright. I'd still buy an Audi if I had the money and the extra time to take it in for service as often as they require (my Passat was in the shop endlessly, and that was back when the closest VW dealership was basically downtown). But if I can get 95% of the performance out of the Mazda, that's good enough for me.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Audis are basically Volkswagens on steroids, but owning one gets you plenty of name cachet without the pejorative bro-imagery that often comes with owning a BMW. Like, "I'm not *****ey enough for a BMW or pretentious enough for a Mercedes. I'm just a normal everyday rich guy who drives an Audi."

There are similarities but also many differences, such as seating. VW usually has rather uncomfortable seating while Audi is normally very comfortable. Power and creature comforts are much greater in Audi vs VW. It really isn't just a VW on steroids.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
There are similarities but also many differences, such as seating. VW usually has rather uncomfortable seating while Audi is normally very comfortable. Power and creature comforts are much greater in Audi vs VW. It really isn't just a VW on steroids.

Yeah - see upthread a bit where I went into detail as to why that happened. It wasn't always that way, though.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Yeah - see upthread a bit where I went into detail as to why that happened. It wasn't always that way, though.
I had a jetta for a couple years, it was a really good vehicle that performed as expected for the price. But it was fairly uncomfortable and lacking in options. I have driven everything from the jetta to a Cayenne in the last 10 years there is a massive difference in level of car as you go from mainstream to luxury. Now whether anyone thinks it's worth the money to move up a level is a different discussion.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Volkswagen specifically and intentionally "dumbed down" the entire product line a few years ago because, and I'm being dead serious here, their internal research claimed that Americans didn't like "fancy" cars as their daily drivers. So they made their exterior styling more bland, their interiors less polished, and their ride less inspiring.
That makes sense. I think I had a 2006 or 2008 Jetta. My last search was in 2016, so that was probably a 2016 Jetta Hybrid that I test drove. Horrible power and comfort in comparison to the one I had. Oh well, plenty of others to choose from (I look forward to trying a Mazda 6 at some point in the near future)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Now whether anyone thinks it's worth the money to move up a level is a different discussion.

Definitely a matter of personal taste. For my money, I'd rather totally trick out a Mazda3 than get a base-level Audi small sedan. For a lesser amount of money I get a heads-up display, all the bells and whistles (adaptive cruise control is the greatest thing since sliced bread), a modified hybrid system that runs the electronics and provides a power boost to increase gas mileage, and leather as far as the eye can see.

A lot of folks, though, go straight for the badging. Nothing wrong with that, but IMO they're mismanaging their cash.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I don't think comparing brands makes as much sense as comparing models. So with that said, which model of Mazda are you all thinking matches up well with which model of Audi or BMW?

Reactions: Lilhoody

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I don't think comparing brands makes as much sense as comparing models. So with that said, which model of Mazda are you all thinking matches up well with which model of Audi or BMW?
A was thinking Mazda 6 to Audi A4 to BMW 3 series (with similar engine choices), but I haven't tried a Mazda or BMW (yet) so don't go by my take

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Definitely a matter of personal taste. For my money, I'd rather totally trick out a Mazda3 than get a base-level Audi small sedan. For a lesser amount of money I get a heads-up display, all the bells and whistles (adaptive cruise control is the greatest thing since sliced bread), a modified hybrid system that runs the electronics and provides a power boost to increase gas mileage, and leather as far as the eye can see.

A lot of folks, though, go straight for the badging. Nothing wrong with that, but IMO they're mismanaging their cash.
You're pimping Mazda pretty hard, you get commission?! haha
I do agree with your general sentiment though. I'd generally choose a fully optioned "regular" brand car over an entry level "premium" brand too. I don't think most premium brands are all that exciting until you get into their top level trims which are of course noticeably more expensive. I have zero interest in a 320i but a 340i or an M3...yeah, I'm definitely interested in those!

Reactions: Lilhoody

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
A was thinking Mazda 6 to Audi A4 to BMW 3 series (with similar engine choices), but I haven't tried a Mazda or BMW (yet) so don't go by my take
In that scenario I'd heavily lean towards the Mazda 6 or any other comparable model from a regular brand because you'll get way more car for your money. Are you buying used or new? IMO the best deal is to buy a 1-2 year old car from a private seller. You save a ton on sales tax, generally get lower prices and the car will still be under factory warranty so you don't really have to worry much about the used factor.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Nah, I'd say the Mazda3 is more in line with the A4/BMW3. Wasn't always like that (the 3 got enlarged in the most recent model refresh). The Mazda6 would be more in line with the A6/BMW5.

You're pimping Mazda pretty hard, you get commission?! haha

I wish! I've already gotten four family members to buy Mazdas. I dunno, I just think it's great that there's a company building a consumer-level car that's really a great driving experience rather than a glorified toaster-oven. Honda still does that with the Civic and Ford's still gamely playing along with the Focus, but otherwise people are shelling out five figures for a really sad and dull-feeling drive.

I do agree with your general sentiment though. I'd generally choose a fully optioned "regular" brand car over an entry level "premium" brand too. I don't think most premium brands are all that exciting until you get into their top level trims which are of course noticeably more expensive. I have zero interest in a 320i but a 340i or an M3...yeah, I'm definitely interested in those!

Don't get me wrong - if I had an unlimited budget, my love affair with Mazda would cool considerably. I've worked for too many years in motorsports not to have my eyes on some serious automotive hardware if I ever make bank... :laugh:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm planning on taking a look at the Mazda CX-5 diesel for my next vehicle. I'm past my mid life vehicle crisis and just want a decent quality SUV with a good warranty and fuel economy. If it ever arrives that is???

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Are you buying used or new? IMO the best deal is to buy a 1-2 year old car from a private seller. You save a ton on sales tax, generally get lower prices and the car will still be under factory warranty so you don't really have to worry much about the used factor.

I'll be looking at both avenues (new or used) once I get to the point of buying; atm, I'm researching and figuring out what I want first (it will be a sedan of some sort)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Exactly. When my wife and I are driving and I point out to her a MB suv she will love it. If it's a Kia or Hyundai she hates it. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad