OT: Arizona Coyotes Lounge XIV - Life, The Universe and “Marvel Studios kicks DC Comics’ ass.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Congrats to all the pending parents around here!

When I had my first kid, it was the first time I'd ever been around a baby for more than a night of babysitting. I was terrified of changing diapers... so, naturally, my daughter rewarded me the first time I had her on the changing table by projectile-pooping all over the place while I was reaching for the new diaper.

What I'm saying is that kids will take every fear you have and make you confront it - and that's why they're so awesome. But they grow up so damn fast. My youngest is now headed to high school, the others are all away at college and working and living their lives on their own. I don't know where the last 25 years went, but now that they're over they went too fast.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Not sure what kind of personality your girl has, Rabbit, but that was like pulling teeth when I was going through baby names.

Some of the craziest names I've ever seen in my life. Once all the back and forth ended, we named my daughter Vivian. The rule was, if its not on a coke bottle, it isn't going to happen. haha

Not yet expecting but I talked often with my girl about future baby names and she comes up with some crazy ones. I think she picks names from Instagram girls' modeling names. I'll have to tell her about the Coke bottle rule, I like that.

Reactions: RABBIT

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Congrats to all the pending parents around here!

When I had my first kid, it was the first time I'd ever been around a baby for more than a night of babysitting. I was terrified of changing diapers... so, naturally, my daughter rewarded me the first time I had her on the changing table by projectile-pooping all over the place while I was reaching for the new diaper.

What I'm saying is that kids will take every fear you have and make you confront it - and that's why they're so awesome. But they grow up so damn fast. My youngest is now headed to high school, the others are all away at college and working and living their lives on their own. I don't know where the last 25 years went, but now that they're over they went too fast.

Thank you Feck, the advice means a ton!

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'm up for the challenge :laugh::popcorn:

I really like the name Vivian. Simple but strong. We don't like crazy names either. We like different, but not off the wall. We have a boys name set, we've had an idea what it would be for a while. We like the name Kane (not hockey related i swear.)

The girls name is harder. We have some unique ideas like Harper and some standard ones like Eva or Renee. Man this is crazy to talk about. Still in shock.
I was actually just throwing names at my girlfriend, some half serious and some complete jokes. I half serious said Wyatt and she turned it down immediately. A week later she looks at me and says, "I think I like Wyatt actually". My son is now named Wyatt.

We went through a similar process naming our dog, but more insane. I jokingly through out names like El Diablo and Purple People Eater. We settled with Nyx (Nyxi).

Reactions: RABBIT

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I was actually just throwing names at my girlfriend, some half serious and some complete jokes. I half serious said Wyatt and she turned it down immediately. A week later she looks at me and says, "I think I like Wyatt actually". My son is now named Wyatt.

We went through a similar process naming our dog, but more insane. I jokingly through out names like El Diablo and Purple People Eater. We settled with Nyx (Nyxi).

Wyatt is a great name as well! Like Wyatt Earp. I like your method, that's what we've being doing.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

I've always wanted to name a dog Damnit.

"This is my new dog, Damnit."
"Come here, Damnit."
"Damnit, what did you do?"

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

"Come here, Damnit."
:laugh::laugh:
I had a similar desire with a more profane word. Ali wouldn't allow it, but my dog is a girl with this super sweet and loving personality and it would have been hilarious!

"*****, get out of the garbage!"
"Come here *****."
"***** quit barking!"

I'm glad she liked Nyx though because its the name of a character in one of my favorite video games.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Wyatt is a great name as well! Like Wyatt Earp. I like your method, that's what we've being doing.
It's a great method, you get to laugh and joke around, but at the same time you could stumble onto a name that works.

I do know a number of people who opted to wait until they saw their child to chose a name because they wanted to "feel it out". I figure if he doesn't like his name he can change it later.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

"Come here, Damnit."

quote-i-named-my-dog-stay-so-i-can-say-come-here-stay-come-here-stay-steven-wright-293854.jpg

Reactions: Katie Connauton

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Yesterday I became a Wikipedia contributor and started updating the Coyotes draft pick page.

List of Arizona Coyotes draft picks - Wikipedia

Still a work in progress. Need to insert the 2018 picks and finish updating everyone's stats. I looked at a few of the other team pages and some of them are 5 years out of date. Wikipedia is very useful but needs an army of free labor to stay relevant.

Doing this makes me feel like a millennial...young, hip, and cool. (I'm also growing a beard, saving for a Tesla, and started drinking VERY obscure craft beer that tastes like a banana split).

P.S. Do millennials say "hip"?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Yesterday I became a Wikipedia contributor and started updating the Coyotes draft pick page.

List of Arizona Coyotes draft picks - Wikipedia

Still a work in progress. Need to insert the 2018 picks and finish updating everyone's stats. I looked at a few of the other team pages and some of them are 5 years out of date. Wikipedia is very useful but needs an army of free labor to stay relevant.

Doing this makes me feel like a millennial...young, hip, and cool. (I'm also growing a beard, saving for a Tesla, and started drinking VERY obscure craft beer that tastes like a banana split).

P.S. Do millennials say "hip"?

It’s hip to be square.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I did a handful of the seasons on that page ~5 years ago.

Problem is HockeyDB's and HockeyRefs pages keep all this automatically :laugh:

That's what I was thinking. If it was built correctly it would pull from a database. I like the way those others sites organize the data too, and it's exportable.

You've crushed my spirit...my Wikipedia carer is over. :eyeroll:

Edit: Something I already knew, but looking at the stats it is striking that for a team with such a spotty history, we've never picked higher than 3rd, and both of those guys did not contribute significantly to the franchise.

1OA - none
2OA - none
3OA - gone before their time (Turris, Strome)
4OA - none
5OA - never suited up (Wheeler)
6OA - OEL, finally!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghostface Keller

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
That's what I was thinking. If it was built correctly it would pull from a database. I like the way those others sites organize the data too, and it's exportable.

Edit: Something I already knew, but looking at the stats it is striking that for a team with such a spotty history, we've never picked higher than 3rd, and both of those guys did not contribute significantly to the franchise.

1OA - none
2OA - none
3OA - gone before their time (Turris, Strome)
4OA - none
5OA - never suited up (Wheeler)
6OA - OEL, finally!

Looks like we fail at tankage like everything else :(

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I did a handful of the seasons on that page ~5 years ago.

Problem is HockeyDB's and HockeyRefs pages keep all this automatically :laugh:
Wikipedia attracts everyone though, not just hockey nerds.

Nah man, keep it up! You can be rest assured far more people will come across your handy work on wikipedia than they will on dedicated hockey sites.

On a side note, I donated money to wikipedia today, it's such an amazing non-commercialized resource and I encourage people to flip a few bucks its way to help keep it that way. I dread the day some shit stain company like Google takes over and starts monetizing it.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
On a side note, I donated money to wikipedia today, it's such an amazing non-commercialized resource and I encourage people to flip a few bucks its way to help keep it that way. I dread the day some **** stain company like Google takes over and starts monetizing it.

Thanks for the reminder. I just donated. The best things on the Web are not free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad