OT: Arizona Coyotes Lounge XIII -- Summertime Blues

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The witness is a pregnant lady. I wouldn’t want my pregnant wife to get involved either. She waited until the abusive lunatic was gone and then she reported it.

Looks like this article was updated with this fact that you mentioned. The pregnant lady is a reasonable exception in this case.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Calico Jacks didn't have great food but since it was usually not very busy it was good to stop in for a quick drink before games.

Light Rail On The Way To Metrocenter Mall In Phoenix

Really wish they would have gone out to Westgate instead. Metrocenter is dead for all intents and purposes.

I was gonna say, that would have been super useful....in like 1997.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I worked at i17-dunlap for 5 years in the mid 00s, and on recent rare excursions out there I've noticed the development slowly but inexorably creeping up 19th ave. I know that plan's been in place at least 10 years because I still worked there when I first read about it...And I think once it's bottomed out if hasn't already, that area might become a hub for...something, if not necessarily retail.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I worked at i17-dunlap for 5 years in the mid 00s, and on recent rare excursions out there I've noticed the development slowly but inexorably creeping up 19th ave. I know that plan's been in place at least 10 years because I still worked there when I first read about it...And I think once it's bottomed out if hasn't already, that area might become a hub for...something, if not necessarily retail.

If you go up 16th Street it's all going to condo development. Seems the new trend is people who work downtown are coming back to the city rather than commuting in from the 'burbs. No yards to deal with..... hour plus long drives each way. The advantage 19th Ave will have is taking the light rail to work rather than driving in traffic.

Castles and Coasters and a buttload of empty buildings. It's pretty sad but inevitable considering the sprawl.

That WalMart across from C and C has been under construction there for what.... well over two years now?? Not even sure it's ever opened??

I remember going there in 2001 when first coming to AZ and I was really impressed with it. But the decay started not long after that and then you'd here stories of the local gang activity there all the time and the recession accelerated it.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I remember going there in 2001 when first coming to AZ and I was really impressed with it. But the decay started not long after that and then you'd here stories of the local gang activity there all the time and the recession accelerated it.

When I was growing up over in Scottsdale in the late 70s/early 80s, Metrocenter was the hub. Biggest mall in the Valley, had an ice skating rink (later to be featured so prominently in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure), a Carousel Ice Cream, etc. Castles and Coasters was originally Golf 'n' Stuff, and I'd go out every weekend to drive on their go kart track. Then Paradise Valley Mall opened, and that started siphoning off a lot of the East Valley consumer/hangout traffic.

It's really sad for me to see what Metrocenter is now, and how far gone it is even in the past 10 years when I used to take my kids there for holiday piano recitals. It's especially sad considering how much the West Side has improved the farther west you go from Metrocenter. It's an ironic reversal of what it used to be when I was younger - used to be that Metrocenter was the last vestige of civilization before you got into the really bad areas, but now Glendale and especially Peoria have turned things around.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Castles and Coasters and a buttload of empty buildings. It's pretty sad but inevitable considering the sprawl.

The criminal element has already saturated Christown and the Dunalp extension area. They need access to more loot and the Premier Inn so they can rest after a hard day of banditing.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

As a 90s kid I'd frequent C&C every month and then shop at the CompUSA after. Other than the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas they had the greatest collection of pinball machines I've seen.

Still try to go to C&C every now and then if I'm in the area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lilhoody

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
As a 90s kid I'd frequent C&C every month and the shop at the CompUSA after. Other than the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas they had the greatest collection of pinball machines I've seen.

Still try to go to C&C every now and then if I'm in the area.

I used to shop at the compusa. And by shop I mean play X wing vs Tie fighter on the demo computers :laugh:

Reactions: IPreferPi

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I also bought X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter (but I already had a joystick). I had to install Windows 95 in order to be able to play it. From like 45 floppy disks.

X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter was the second Star Wars game I've ever owned (the first was the incredibly difficult Star Wars on NES - which I actually had before I really comprehended what Star Wars was lol). As someone who wanted to be a crack fighter pilot for the Rebellion as a kid, that game was a dream come true.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter was the second Star Wars game I've ever owned (the first was the incredibly difficult Star Wars on NES - which I actually had before I really comprehended what Star Wars was lol). As someone who wanted to be a crack fighter pilot for the Rebellion as a kid, that game was a dream come true.

Was also my second. My first was the original TIE Fighter. I used to play that game with a thumb wheel mouse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad