Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
^^^ @Sin

The only thing I can recall about the accident was pulling out from the right hand lane to get around a box van and then see two white dots in front of me....

Damn that is just insane, I can't even fathom what it'd be like to experience that. It's a god damn miracle you survived considering you weren't wearing a seat belt. Probably best you don't really remember the actual impact, seems like that'd make an already traumatizing event that much worse. Did you have issues driving after that? I feel like I'd be paranoid as hell that someone was going to cross over and hit me!

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Damn that is just insane, I can't even fathom what it'd be like to experience that. It's a god damn miracle you survived considering you weren't wearing a seat belt. Probably best you don't really remember the actual impact, seems like that'd make an already traumatizing event that much worse. Did you have issues driving after that? I feel like I'd be paranoid as hell that someone was going to cross over and hit me!

A little.... first time I got back in a car (passenger seat) it was a little eerie the first few minutes but it quickly went away. When I finally got a replacement vehicle (bought one my sister had that was company leased and due to be returned) I got in and drove it from her home in Colorado Springs back to Reno where I lived at the time. It was like the old "fall off a horse, get right back on" adage.

Only thing of a flashback came a few years ago here when I was heading south on the Loop 101 in the number one lane just north of Westgate and a car coming up in the northbound lanes from the Cardinals game lost it into the median and ended coming towards me, flipping over the center barrier and barrel rolled twice stopping on its roof. I was far enough away to come to a stop a couple hundred feet from where it stopped but yeah..... the adrenaline was flowing.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
A little.... first time I got back in a car (passenger seat) it was a little eerie the first few minutes but it quickly went away. When I finally got a replacement vehicle (bought one my sister had that was company leased and due to be returned) I got in and drove it from her home in Colorado Springs back to Reno where I lived at the time. It was like the old "fall off a horse, get right back on" adage.

Only thing of a flashback came a few years ago here when I was heading south on the Loop 101 in the number one lane just north of Westgate and a car coming up in the northbound lanes from the Cardinals game lost it into the median and ended coming towards me, flipping over the center barrier and barrel rolled twice stopping on its roof. I was far enough away to come to a stop a couple hundred feet from where it stopped but yeah..... the adrenaline was flowing.
I was a passenger in a vehicle that lost control at high speed. We started spinning but luckily the car never took flight, we just pinballed all across the 51 hitting 7 cars in total. No one had even a scratch amazingly but man for a long time after that I was nervous nelly anytime I rode with anyone else. I was that passenger that would lean over and look at the speedo constantly. haha

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Amazon trying to buy Whole Foods. Yesterday, Bezos tweets he wants ideas on philanthropy.

Perhaps he should bail out our beloved Yotes and build Whole Foods arena in DT P-town?

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
I'm looking for anything with color, that's evergreen, will climb a tree without much help, and won't overwhelm the thing entirely.

Any ideas?

This sort of got lost in the shuffle. I wish I could help, but I'm the worst person for this. i'd have trouble identifying anything other than a rose.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Happy Father's Day

DCnvrdEV0AEabBv.jpg:small

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This sort of got lost in the shuffle. I wish I could help, but I'm the worst person for this. i'd have trouble identifying anything other than a rose.

I went with Bower Vine. I think if it survives the summer it'll be fine for years to come. But I'll give it 50/50 that it's still sucking water in September. It's ****ing hot out there!

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Two year Rapid City Rush affiliation is finished

http://rapidcityrush.com/news/?article_id=883

With the rush shifting to the Wild as their parent team, I wonder if we seek another ECHL affiliate or we go without one for a year or two. We usually only had 1-2 players on the Rush, so I don't see the Coyotes or the Roadrunners being too affected by not having an affiliate. Of course, I'm sure there are other options in the ECHL if we want to pursue them.

ECHL teams currently without NHL affiliates:
#4 Fort Wayne Komets (IN) - currently independent
#6 Adirondack Thunder (NY)
-- Jacksonville Icemen (FL)
-- Portland (ME) - future market (2018-2019)​

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Housekeeping question:

Anyone have interest in adding new thread prefixes that might be useful?

Suggestions of what those might be or would be useful? Don't use prefixes so you don't care?

I heard it got to 119 down in the valley today. Only 102 up here in Payson. People were still complaining.

I laughed at them.

I assume chickens can handle the heat.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I assume chickens can handle the heat.

In the community of Whispering Pines where I live (and where the chickens are) it's usually 5-10 degrees cooler than in town. It only got up to 95 today at the house. Most breeds of chicken can handle up to 100 provided they have open-air shade and plenty of water. We keep layer breeds who are among the breeds that can. Meat breeds generally aren't as good at it, so if you raise a meat breed you have seasons in which you can raise them if you live in a warm climate like Arizona. They mature from being chicks to being ready to be eaten in 6-12 weeks usually though.

In contrast, layer breeds don't handle cold as well as meat breeds, but it's pretty simple and inexpensive to throw a heat lamp in a coop full of layer hens in the winter in cold climates. Cooling a coop for meat birds in the summer takes a lot more effort and expense.

Edit: side note, we got "unlucky" with our batch of the half dozen layer-breed chicks we bought in the winter. One (who was incorrectly labeled as a layer breed turned out to be a meat bird instead) didn't survive the injuries she sustained when one of our dogs broke into the chicken run, and at least 2 of the surviving 5 (and possibly a third) are roosters rather than hens. We have one remaining adult hen and I've gathered that a good ratio of roosters to hens in a flock is 1 to 10, so 2/3 to 4/3 is not a good mix considering how aggressive roosters (especially from layer breeds) can be. We'll most likely have to remove (i.e. butcher) at least one of them.

Last edited:

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
In the community of Whispering Pines where I live (and where the chickens are) it's usually 5-10 degrees cooler than in town. It only got up to 95 today at the house. Most breeds of chicken can handle up to 100 provided they have open-air shade and plenty of water. We keep layer breeds who are among the breeds that can. Meat breeds generally aren't as good at it, so if you raise a meat breed you have seasons in which you can raise them if you live in a warm climate like Arizona. They mature from being chicks to being ready to be eaten in 6-12 weeks usually though.

In contrast, layer breeds don't handle cold as well as meat breeds, but it's pretty simple and inexpensive to throw a heat lamp in a coop full of layer hens in the winter in cold climates. Cooling a coop for meat birds in the summer takes a lot more effort and expense.

Edit: side note, we got "unlucky" with our batch of the half dozen layer-breed chicks we bought in the winter. One (who was incorrectly labeled as a layer breed turned out to be a meat bird instead) didn't survive the injuries she sustained when one of our dogs broke into the chicken run, and at least 2 of the surviving 5 (and possibly a third) are roosters rather than hens. We have one remaining adult hen and I've gathered that a good ratio of roosters to hens in a flock is 1 to 10, so 2/3 to 4/3 is not a good mix considering how aggressive roosters (especially from layer breeds) can be. We'll most likely have to remove (i.e. butcher) at least one of them.

Sorry to hear, but very interesting. Someday, soon, I'd like to do something like that in Hood River, Oregon.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
RR(Marc) just sent me an email with some sad news, his daughter has passed away. For those of you who didn't get a chance to meet her she was a very friendly and sunny person. He said a lot of us on here met her and he just wanted to let everyone know. I know I won't be alone in sending thoughts and prayers his way.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
RR is a terrific dude, that's awful. Thoughts out to him and his family.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
RR(Marc) just sent me an email with some sad news, his daughter has passed away. For those of you who didn't get a chance to meet her she was a very friendly and sunny person. He said a lot of us on here met her and he just wanted to let everyone know. I know I won't be alone in sending thoughts and prayers his way.

Sorry to hear about that Marc, you and your family have my deepest sympathies. May she rest in peace.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
No...no, no, no...that is horrible. I'm so sorry Marc. My deepest sympathies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad