Arizona Coyotes feature well-balanced prospect pool

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
louis_domingue_arizona_092314.jpg
Photo: Louis Domingue used an impressive 2013-14 season to solidify himself as the starter for the AHL’s Portland Pirates in 2014-15. (courtesy of John Cordes/Icon Sportswire)

The Arizona Coyotes have actively addressed the composition of their prospect pool since the 2013-14 trade deadline. A year ago, there was a logjam of talented defensemen throughout their pipeline. At the deadline, general manager Dave Maloney traded David Rundblad to the Chicago Blackhawks. At the 2014 NHL Draft, the Coyotes grabbed seven forwards while only selecting two defensemen, both in the late rounds.

This balance should facilitate the organization’s ability to develop their young players.… read more

The post Arizona Coyotes feature well-balanced prospect pool appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I was looking at the prospect pool the other day and liked how it has gotten much better the past couple of years. It used to be so shallow.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
"Well balanced?" Really? Because unlike 18 months ago, we have no defensive depth. Connor Murphy is a full-time NHL'er, not a prospect. Domi, Samuelsson, Rieder, Lessio, Perlini, Dauphin and Szwarz is a very nice amount of forward depth, but Brandon Gormley is the only defenseman in the pipeline of any significance.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
"Well balanced?" Really? Because unlike 18 months ago, we have no defensive depth. Connor Murphy is a full-time NHL'er, not a prospect. Domi, Samuelsson, Rieder, Lessio, Perlini, Dauphin and Szwarz is a very nice amount of forward depth, but Brandon Gormley is the only defenseman in the pipeline of any significance.

Not to mention he allegedly hates us, and wants out.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Louis Domingue used an impressive 2013-14 season to solidify himself as the starter for the AHL’s Portland Pirates in 2014-15.

Mark Visentin enters the season solidly entrenched as the Portland Pirates No. 1 goalie.

Neither of them are the #1. Portland signed Mike McKenna because neither of them proved they could be trusted with the reigns yet. If either of them want the job they have to win it.

Completely agree with ck about the lack of defensive depth as well.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Neither of them are the #1. Portland signed Mike McKenna because neither of them proved they could be trusted with the reigns yet. If either of them want the job they have to win it.

Domingue played lights out in the preseason/camp, so he is the heir apparent now, to me. Visentin needs to get serious.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
It won't matter...Langhamer is a steal in the 7th round. He was terrific in the world juniors and was good last year for Medicine Hat and this year he is doing everything in his power to lead the league in all Goaltending categories

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Medicine Hat sits a top the standings and he should be key contributor and lead his team to the playoffs and hopefully into the Memorial Cup as the WHL representative.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Domingue played lights out in the preseason/camp, so he is the heir apparent now, to me. Visentin needs to get serious.

Dom definitely showed what he's capable of, but this preseason seems to have meant squat to anyone in management. McKenna has started 3 of 4 in Portland so until Edwards changes things up neither of them are the #1.

It won't matter...Langhamer is a steal in the 7th round. He was terrific in the world juniors and was good last year for Medicine Hat and this year he is doing everything in his power to lead the league in all Goaltending categories

Love his game more every time I see him. I also have high hopes for him, think he may have the best shot of the 3. Til he turns pro I'm going to be cautious in anointing him though.

Pat Paeplow

May 16, 2013

But what D prospects has Arizona lost? A few marginal prospects have departed but as far as stud prospects go Michael Stone and Connor Murphy are gone but that's only because they graduated to the NHL. Rundblad was traded away but he was basically a nonperforming asset anyway and he returned a second round pick which turned into Christian Dvorak, a pretty legit forward prospect.

I guess you could argue they're more unbalanced in the other direction now but, based on the NHL club being deep on D and light on forwards, it probably makes sense to load up on forward prospects.

Now you just have to find a way to get Tippett to play them.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
But what D prospects has Arizona lost?

By the generally accepted defintion of prospect HF uses, the D pool in Arizona is shallow now. The two highlights are Hache and Melindy, both of which are struggling in the AHL. It doesn't look like they'll amount to much. After Gormley there's pretty much nothing.

Dysin Mayo may be good someday, I guess. Does Westlund even exist?

Pat Paeplow

May 16, 2013
By the generally accepted defintion of prospect HF uses, the D pool in Arizona is shallow now. The two highlights are Hache and Melindy, both of which are struggling in the AHL. It doesn't look like they'll amount to much. After Gormley there's pretty much nothing.

I've found a press release here and there on Westlund but no actual scouting commentary. I'm hoping he plays in World Junior this year.

I understand what you guys are saying about the HF prospect definition but, at the same time, I don't like to penalize the Coyotes for successfully graduating prospects into NHL players. That's how you prefer your prospect pool to thin out.

Last edited:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I understand what you guys are saying about the HF prospect definition but, at the same time, I don't like to penalize the Coyotes for successfully graduating prospects into NHL players. That's how you prefer your prospect pool to thin out.

I'd agree with this assessment. Our blueline pool will need replenishing in the upcoming draft, but I'm not terribly worried. We needed to stock up on forwards, and we did (although we obviously still need that star 1C).

Even without the higher end talent we used to have not so long ago, I think Hache and Mayo can develop into solid middle-pairing D.

oldno7

Sep 29, 2014

He sure do exist, at least a few years ago ;) http://youtu.be/R_aarHpzYHQ ,hes second goal is pretty nice! Is playing with Brynäs IF in SHL, among men in the highest Swedish league. The guy is solid and more a defensive player and seems to go under the radar even here in Sweden. Will probably not play in the World junior, he did not make it to the last squad. I´m not surprised if he plays for the qoyotes in a few years. He is taking small steps each year and seems to adapt to the game at all levels.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He is taking small steps each year and seems to adapt to the game at all levels.

He's getting a little over ten minutes a game in TOI. Capitals 7th rounder Christian Djoos is getting about 19.

Under the radar is probably an understatement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad