News Article: Arizona Coyotes accused of not properly paying employees, union busting in NLRB complaints

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
If Michael Lewis ever aimed his typewriter at this franchise, he would produce a book that would put Moneyball in the shade ...

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Saw today that Anthony LeBlanc and Gary Drummond have resurfaced. They're part of group looking to add an expansion CFL team in Halifax.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
This is a serious allegation. But at the same time, Arizona is a right to work state. Do employees of NHL team's have a union? If not, I understand it to be something that can't be talked about or formed. I'm not knowledgeable enough at this point. Perhaps someone with more understanding could chime in?

Reactions: doaner

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
The fact that there's a settlement should mean it's settled?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
There’s more than one accusation. Even with a settlement it doesn’t stop the Feds from investigating.

I believe the same person filed both complaints. More likely one very disgruntled person than pervasive problem.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I believe the same person filed both complaints. More likely one very disgruntled person than pervasive problem.

The article mentions explicitly that it was two separate people. One was a payroll administrator, and the other was a ticket salesperson. So at best you've got two former employees who were disgruntled enough to press charges against the team for labor violations. It's likely there's at least some validity to their claims. When a franchise is bad at literally everything else, I'm not going to give it the benefit of the doubt on how it treats its staff. This a bad sign.

And with regard to the union stuff specifically, it's not surprising and maybe it was all legal, but it's still shitty. Workers deserve rights.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Look, they very well may be in violation of labor laws, but you/I/one/youse guys can't assume that based just upon an allegation or two.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The article mentions explicitly that it was two separate people. One was a payroll administrator, and the other was a ticket salesperson. So at best you've got two former employees who were disgruntled enough to press charges against the team for labor violations. It's likely there's at least some validity to their claims. When a franchise is bad at literally everything else, I'm not going to give it the benefit of the doubt on how it treats its staff. This a bad sign.

And with regard to the union stuff specifically, it's not surprising and maybe it was all legal, but it's still ****ty. Workers deserve rights.
I think that it's safe to assume that you are aware of the history of the teamsters, the AFL-CIO, the Dockworker's Union and of course Chicago's labor union fun. Workers deserve rights, but companies and governments deserve to be protected from the corruption which comes from unionization.

Find me a clean union and I'll find you a virgin mother of three.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I think that it's safe to assume that you are aware of the history of the teamsters, the AFL-CIO, the Dockworker's Union and of course Chicago's labor union fun. Workers deserve rights, but companies and governments deserve to be protected from the corruption which comes from unionization.

Find me a clean union and I'll find you a virgin mother of three.

Are you saying there's no corruption in business or government? Are you saying that all business are clean too?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Are you saying there's no corruption in business or government? Are you saying that all business are clean too?
I'm saying what I said. If you are looking for some moral or ethical equivalency you've come to the wrong place.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Doesn't that get you four points in the CFL?

:laugh: I forgot about the fact that it was the CFL. Calling a quarterback draw on 3rd and 17 in the CFL is like calling a quarterback draw on 4th and 17 in the NFL.

A more ludicrous (but unlikely) comparison is that Dave Tippett would run the ball up the middle on 1st down, then punt the ball on 2nd down and try to score a safety.

Reactions: CC96

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad