Proposal: Arizona and Ottawa

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Not sure why Ottawa does this, I'd see another contending team doing it instead. But I'd certainly be willing to do it, I just don't see why they would. I'd be happy with a 2nd and a 3rd.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
It’s not horrible for Ottawa. Culture and NMC/NTC make it questionable though.

If Ottawa/Phil are happy with each other I’d counter with Tierney + conditional 2nd (later of 2) + conditional 3rd (earliest of 3).

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
It’s not horrible for Ottawa. Culture and NMC/NTC make it questionable though.

If Ottawa/Phil are happy with each other I’d counter with Tierney + conditional 2nd (later of 2) + conditional 3rd (earliest of 3).

I'd actually like that even more than the original OP, lol.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I would do Kessel to Ottawa with no retention for a 3rd that possibly upgrades to a conditional 2nd—can negotiate that.

Saves Arizona their last retention slot for the trade deadline, whereas Ottawa can retain 50% and flip Kessel at the deadline.

Note if AZ retains on Kessel then Ottawa can’t later flip him and retain again. Max of two retentions allowed on a contract and Toronto is already retaining,

Reactions: Altimus

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
I think it would be a bit premature for Ottawa to go after 30+ pending UFA right now. If Ottawa was in a solid playoff spot sometime after Christmas, then yes, I would consider it. That being said, I would look at all of my options before I would settle on one.

As for the offer itself, I would do it from a Arizona perspective as it's more than fair and for HF boards, that's really amazing. Kudos to the OP.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The 2 Nd second is for the salary paid upfront & 50% retention by Arizona.

Melynik said they were going to replace Dadonov when they sold him off to Vegas.

Ottawa should be able to retain @ the deadline to about 2 million cap..... and get a late 1 st from a contender......

Phil may waive as Arizona is going to lose a lot..... going for 1 st over all pick

Trade 2 2nds and further retain at the deadline to hopefully land a late 1st? Oh how could Ottawa ever say no?!?!

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Trade 2 2nds and further retain at the deadline to hopefully land a late 1st? Oh how could Ottawa ever say no?!?!

You forgot to ad..... Melynik paying $500 k for $ 6 million dollar asset..... and telling his fan base that he is spending money when he actually is not.

edit...... If you are an owner without any money! And you want to run a shell game on your fans..... you first have to acquire some shells.

wheres the money?????
-Under the first shell........ No
- Under the 2 Nd shell.......No
- under the third shell........No

It’s been in Melyniks pocket the whole time......... Suckers.

Last edited:

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Most posters are missing a very important aspect of this trade. If this trade were to occur ...... Arizona would possess seven (7) second round draft picks in 2022 NHL draft!

That has to be a record.

edit ...... all of these 2 Nd round selections in 2022 should just be starting their ELC’s in 3 years..... just about the same time Austin Mathews signs his UFA contract with Arizona. ( He’s an Ontario boy “ of course he wants to play for his home town team”. .... hmm I mean Arizona boy)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad