Confirmed Trade: [ARI/MTL] Jordan Weal for Michael Chaput

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I dont get this deal at all.. only thing i can see is that we eat up the difference in salary.
Is Weal >Chaput??
otherwise, why do the Yotes a favour?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I dont get this deal at all.. only thing i can see is that we eat up the difference in salary.
Is Weal >Chaput??
otherwise, why do the Yotes a favour?
Weal could possibly be an NHL player. Chaput is not. The Coyotes wanted a guy with an appropriate AHL salary. The Habs wanted a guy who could possibly provide 4th line value.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Weal could possibly be an NHL player. Chaput is not. The Coyotes wanted a guy with an appropriate AHL salary. The Habs wanted a guy who could possibly provide 4th line value.

so this is a "AHL player plus Cash dump for Fringe NHL player" got it

Reactions: rt
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Can he play wing? I'm curious what's the plan, to sit him? Thompson? To play Thompson on the wing?

Thompson - Weal - Weise is a 4th line with wheels

Hammond

Apr 22, 2015
Hamilton
why does Bergevin keep dumpster diving? Montreal is lucky to be where they are in the standings. Is he ever going to make an impactful trade or just hope all these 4th liners become top liners in the NHL.

I’m sure he’ll make a big trade once the team is ready to compete for a cup. No reason to give up assets for a rental player. They’re playing with house money this year so just be patient.

CaptCrunch

Apr 25, 2006
I liked Chaput, but it seemed like I was the only one on the Habs boards.

For AZ fans, he's at least a good skater.

You are not alone. I thought he was fine on the fourth line. He wasn't spectacular, wasn't extremely fast nor physical and was essentially beige but at last he is not a risk like Hudon and Peca.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I liked Chaput, but it seemed like I was the only one on the Habs boards.
He fulfilled his role as a depth forward. Was productive in Laval and gave us a stretch of solid games when called upon. But eventually, he was outmatched. Wouldn't say I liked him, but the hatred for this guy is bizarre indeed.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Habs are not going for the cup this year and MB already said at his earlier PC that he isn't sacrificing the future so unless its a hockey trade he isn't moving picks and prospects.

You should know that us fans don't want MB to sell the farm on rentals so not sure what you are expecting. If you think MB is going to trade a 1st and Phoeling or Brook well you are going to be very disappointed today.
Don't sell the farm but stop buying goats when what you need is a horse.

Out of Chaput and Weal, i prefer the Lather
As long as you rinse and repeat.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Don't sell the farm but stop buying goats when what you need is a horse.

As long as you rinse and repeat.

well we aint buying any horses this year. And goat we bought was in exchange for a dying goat that we would of had to keep on live support next year. Now we don't have to pay the medical bills anymore because this new goat will be set free at the end of the year.

This trade was to save 1 year on a contract and get rid of a guy who wasn't going to play anymore games for the habs.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Very funny that deal involving a 13th forward getting his last chance at the NHL being traded for an AHL forward who’s just used up his own last chance is getting this much chatter. Slow day apart from the Hayes deal.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
well we aint buying any horses this year. And goat we bought was in exchange for a dying goat that we would of had to keep on live support next year. Now we don't have to pay the medical bills anymore because this new goat will be set free at the end of the year.

This trade was to save 1 year on a contract and get rid of a guy who wasn't going to play anymore games for the habs.
We're not pressed to get rid of contracts, it's not like we have so many players to sign and have to make room by weeding out the weaker ones. So it's an necessary move at best.

Just because you're not buying a horse doesn't mean you have to buy something, anything just for the sake of buying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad