Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] Darcy Kuemper extended (2 years, $4.5M AAV)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Term is short enough that it’s not a huge risk and I don’t see any big raises coming for their players any tine soon

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
I dont get why Arizona is extending him now, hes been fairly inconsistent over the years, they have Raanta signed till the end of 20-21 and they just claimed comrie

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
They’re probably planning on trading one of their two goalies (either Raanta or Kuemper) and rolling with Hill as their backup maybe as soon as this coming deadline.

Reactions: Mestaruus

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
They’re probably planning on trading one of their two goalies (either Raanta or Kuemper) and rolling with Hill as their backup maybe as soon as this coming deadline.
Hill looks to be the odd-man out, and he's not happy.

Kuemper/Raanta will roll as the tandem for now. One may be get moved at the TDL for a scorer or is exposed to Seattle at the Exp Draft.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I dont get why Arizona is extending him now, hes been fairly inconsistent over the years, they have Raanta signed till the end of 20-21 and they just claimed comrie

I think it's because Raanta's health concerns.

If Kuemper ends up riding as the #1 this season and has big time success, similar to 2nd half last year, he starts to gather more interest and through that ask for more money/term.

Coyotes taking a chance here, that if Kuemper pays off, they'll at least get him on couple of his best years at reasonable AAV. Also im sure they're sick of these injury issues, so at least they have someone who can play (knock on wood).

Reactions: funky and Kingsfan1

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
That's the problem, that's starter money. And more than what you're paying your starter.

I'm not sure I buy Kuemper as a starter.
He finished 6th in Vezina voting last year. How is he not a starter?

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
Its getting pretty hard to figure out what the plan in Arizona is. They have over 80 million committed to 18 players for next season for a team that's pretty meh.
5M+ of that is Hossa, so they have space to fill out the roster.

It’s not like 9M for a very good tandem is crazy money, and with two years term you can easily move one of them if needed.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well its pricey but it can't backfire too much since its just two years. Kuemper was great last season but it might be an aberation but its just two year so oh well.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
I think it's because Raanta's health concerns.

If Kuemper ends up riding as the #1 this season and has big time success, similar to 2nd half last year, he starts to gather more interest and through that ask for more money/term.

Coyotes taking a chance here, that if Kuemper pays off, they'll at least get him on couple of his best years at reasonable AAV. Also im sure they're sick of these injury issues, so at least they have someone who can play (knock on wood).

I guess the main thing is since kuemper started in the league hes never had 2 seasons in a row that were good. If i were the coyotes i wouldve waited till next offseason to sign

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
How is this pricey? It's less than half of what some teams are paying for a goalie. Kuemper was fantastic last year. Low risk with the short term.

I guess the main thing is since kuemper started in the league hes never had 2 seasons in a row that were good. If i were the coyotes i wouldve waited till next offseason to sign

He was scheduled to be an UFA. If he has a good year, he is hitting the open market. With Raanta not staying healthy, the Coyotes can't afford that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad